Sunday, January 22, 2023

Year of the Water Rabbit

 

 Today, January 22, is Chinese New Year. 

It is part of the Spring Festival.
 
This is the year of the Water Rabbit.
 
Many of you are probably aware legend tells us that the full zodiac starts with the Year of the Rat and ends twelve years later with the Year of the Pig.  However, did you know in addition to the 12 animals which rotate every 12 years, there are five elements (wood, fire, earth, metal, water), 

which rotate every 60 years.  My apologies for the blurry image, but my camera had a difficult time focusing on the items on the page.  12 animals X 5 elements = 60.  Isn't math fun?

This celebration is based on the 28-day lunar cycle, because the moon’s calendar spans twelve to thirteen months and usually falls twenty to fifty days behind the Gregorian solar calendar we use today. A lunar month begins during the new moon phase, when the moon is aligned with the Earth and Sun, while a full moon occurs in the middle of a lunar month.  This is Year 4720 in Chinese calendar years.
 
Celebrations last up to 16 days, but only the first seven days are considered a public holiday (January 22 to January 29, 2023).

Because I had such a difficult time with my camera, I decided to scan the image.  In addition to the various words and the rabbit, I have included two joss papers, one of which is a portion of the zodiac, the other the gray, orange, and gold joss paper.  Joss papers are intended to be burned to signify health, good fortune, and wealth.  This page was created in my Stress Free altered book.

Thanks for joining me today as I celebrate Chinese New Year with the beginning of the Spring Festival.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Vietnamese New Year also starts today - and it is the year of the cat.
Love your take on the Chinese New Year.

Rita said...

No, I didn't know about the elements. I knew I was born under the sign of the rabbit but now I wonder which kind of rabbit--lol! :)

Sami said...

I didn't know about the five elements. Because there are so many Asians in Australia, Chinese New Year is widely celebrated, with many shopping centres showing Chinese dances, etc.
Happy Year of the Rabbit :)

Iris Flavia said...

Happy Year of the Rabbit!
We would likely roam with Sami and her hubs and Grace etc..
Oh, darn you, COVID!!!

Well. To a happy new year,maybe we can travel again - nice work of yours!!

When on the way to work in Wolfsburg I always stopped my car to not kill a rabbit (there were many).

Mae Travels said...

You inspired me to look at various drawings and sculpture of rabbits... the Netsuke of rabbits are especially beautiful and expressive! Also occasionally an ancient and beautiful painted piece of blue-and-white china with a rabbit on it.

Happy Chinese New Year!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

I had heard about the elements. Happy New Year

Jenn Jilks said...

Good try! I make so many mistakes photographing things, but it is a record of what went on.

Christine said...

I was wondering how long the celebrations last thanks

Divers and Sundry said...

I've seen several articles on the elements shared on Facebook. Cool!

Lowcarb team member said...

This is great!
Happy Chinese New Year and Happy Year of the Rabbit :)

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

This page is a fun way to celebrate the Lunar New Year. Year of the rabbit is a playful image too, compared to things like the year of the rat. I like that you used some joss paper too.

Debra said...

Interesting info. I like your art too.

Jeanie said...

I'm hoping it's a good year. I was born in the year of the rabbit!

Cloudia said...

Gung Hee Fat Choy!

Birgit said...

It's so vast when we look at Astrology or Chinese year etc... I knew about the elements. I am a Dragon( Ha, hahaaa) and I believe, wood. I love your rabbit set against the gold and other papers

pearshapedcrafting said...

A brilliant page and I loved being reminded about the elements. I can't remember where it was but on one ofour outings we found an interactive display- very entertaining! Hugs, Chrisx