Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Saint Swithin

 

Today I'm joining Elle from Empire of the Cat, our host this month at Art Journal Journey once again.  Her theme is Fairytales, Folklore, and Fables - Tell Me A Story.  

In the realm of folklore, I give you Saint Swithin.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica:
Swithin, (born c. 800—died July 2, 862, Winchester, Hampshire, England; feast day July 15), celebrated Anglo-Saxon saint, bishop of Winchester, and royal counselor whose name is still associated with an old meteorological superstition. He served as counselor to Kings Egbert and Aethelwulf of the West Saxons. On or about October 30, 852, he was consecrated bishop of Winchester. Nothing else is reliably known of his life.
According to the BBC's web site:
Saint Swithin was a Saxon bishop. He was born in the kingdom of Wessex and educated in its capital, Winchester. He was famous for charitable gifts and building churches. His feast day is 15 July and his emblems are rain drops and apples.

Further:

Swithin died on 2 July 862. According to tradition, he had asked to be buried humbly. His grave was just outside the west door of the Old Minster, so that people would walk across it and rain fall on it in accordance with Swithin's wishes.

Even though so little is known about St. Swithins, it seems ironic that he would be given a special day all his own to honor him and his miracles.  Could it be that the British are obsessed with their weather, as suggested by National Today?

According to Catholic.org:

His historical importance as bishop is overshadowed by his reputation for posthumous miracle-working. According to tradition, if it rains on Saint Swithin's bridge (Winchester) on his feast day (15 July) it will continue for forty days. 

Further according to Encyclopedia Britannica:

There is a superstition that rain on St. Swithin’s feast day means rain for 40 days. The first evidence for the weather prophecy seems to be a 13th- or 14th-century entry in a manuscript at Emmanuel College, Cambridge. His feast day is the day his relics were transferred in 971 from the churchyard to Winchester Cathedral, after reports of miracles, by Bishop Aethelwold.

After 971, Swithin’s cult spread widely, and his name displaced those of Saints Peter and Paul in the dedication of the cathedral. His feast is observed in the Anglican calendar.

According to the Tudor Society:

Swithin died on 2 July 862 but his feast day marks the day in 971 when his remains were moved from his grave just outside the west door of the Old Minster of Winchester to a shrine inside the cathedral. This day was marked by miraculous cures and so became his feast day. It was also, however, marked by torrential rain which lasted forty days and forty nights and which was taken as a sign of the saint's anger at the digging up of his remains when his wishes were that his remains should be buried outside the west door so that rain could fall on his grave and people would walk over it. This forty days of rain led to the following traditional rhyme:

St Swithin's day if it does rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithin's day if it be fair
For forty days t'will rain no more.
  
There is another variation:

If on St. Swithin's day it really pours
You're better off to stay indoors

There is no proof this folklore tale holds true.  In fact, according to the BBC:

Weather experts say that since records began in 1861, there has never been a record of 40 dry or 40 wet days in a row following St Swithin's Day.

I began by printing this image on my laser printer.  I then colored it using watercolor pencils.  I know some people enjoy that, but I am NOT one of them.  I spent two days off and on getting this even half decent.  I then backed and sewed the image to scrapbook paper from my stash.  I wrote the name in purple gel pen ink.

I then added the poem I wrote by hand using the same purple pen.  I used washi tape to adhere the two parts together.

Bleubeard and I would like to thank you for allowing us to share this bit of folklore with you today.  We would also like to thank Jan from The Low Carb Diabetic blog for sharing the original post back in July when it really was St. Swithin's Day.  And of course, we hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Fairytales, Folklore, and Fables - Tell Me A Story.
 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Yes, we Brits are obsessed with the weather! great page to celebrate St Swithin.

Elephant's Child said...

Intriguing. Thanks for the work and the artistry in bringing this to us. I suspect that many Australians wouldn't have a good word to say about St Swithen at the moment. Not me - I love the rain (and am partial to apples too).

Iris Flavia said...

British Ground Hg Day :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Hog... argh.... I imagine Punxsutawney Phil with such a "hat" the guards at the palace wear...

My name is Erika. said...

It took me a minute to get how this related to Elle's theme, but once I read the little rhyme, I see it now. I haven't heard of St. Swithin until now, but what a great piece of folklore. I love your image and that poem. I am glad that we've never had 40 days of straight rain recorded after this day-thank goodness. With the way climate is now that would mean more major flooding. This is a really great topic and page for Elle's challenge. I love it. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

jinxxxygirl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this Elizabeth. I enjoy folklore. I think your coloring turned out lovely.. There must be an easier way to color this in if you did not enjoy this process.. Hugs! deb

Mae Travels said...

immediately before reading this, I read a serious article about a British Government Minister who dated his resignation letter yesterday “St.Crispin’s Day” which it was. As the New Yorker used to say, there will always be an England.

best…mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Our local parish church was St Swithins when I was a child in London, and it always rained a lot! Hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

Excellent page idea Elizabeth, not had a St Swithin's day page before now. I like Iris's comment about it being British groundhog day lol We do get a lot of wet July's maybe not 40 days in a row but often the whole of July. I like the rhyme, it is familiar to me from school I think. Thanks for joining me for the October theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle/Empire of the Cat xx

kathyinozarks said...

this was so interesting Elizabeth, didn't know about this saint-thanks for the story and information
loved your journal page too-hugs Kathy

Birgit said...

I learned a lot about this Saint from you. I didn't know about him but itbis raining here today so maybe he knew something. :)). I think you did lovely job on this and the colouring. You gave a nice background that makes the foreground pop.

pearshapedcrafting said...

My Grandma used to recite that rhyme and I must say every St Swithins Day I wonder if there's any truth in it, especially if it rains! I love your page and the story of St Swithin. Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Elizabeth, this one is really beautiful. I love the colors and thanks for all the info, too. I had heard of St. Swithin -- and that's about it.

Re: your comment -- I did refer to repro choice in the post: "For me, it's about protecting our democracy, our climate and our freedom of choice and making sure not one 2020 election denier in our area is elected." I didn't go into great detail, but (as my neighbors will tell you from the big sign in my yard!) it's a key issue. We have it as a constitutional amendment on our state ballot. Fingers crossed.

Divers and Sundry said...

I saw your St. Swithin and thought What?! That's not today lol and then realized you weren't posting for the day but for the saint lol I love the weather-related folklore :)

Michelle said...

Even though you didn’t enjoy the coloring, your page is absolutely wonderful. And I enjoyed reading about St Swithin. I had heard of him, but didn’t really know anything about him.

Rita said...

I thought that to be a saint they had to have performed miracles in their name, at least. Was it the 40 days without rain in England? LOL! ;)

Lowcarb team member said...

What a good post and thank you for the mention to the Low Carb Diabetic Blog.
I do like your colouring.

Enjoy these last few days of October.

All the best Jan