Sunday, March 27, 2022

Monday Murals: back to the Pop-up Park

 

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

We are back at the Pop-up Park.  This is a sad tale of a once lovely and vital area in downtown Wichita, Kansas (USA). According to KMUW:

For years a large hole sat behind a fence on the south side of Douglas Avenue between Market and Main.

The result of a redevelopment plan that fell through in 2007, “the hole,” as it was known, was a fixture in downtown Wichita for almost a decade before developers filled it, converting it into the ICT Pop-Up Park.

Tables, chairs, umbrellas and even a ping pong table adorned the graveled ground. Less than a city block in size and in between two buildings, the space didn’t feel a whole lot different from the park just a block east. But a pass for food trucks to park there throughout the day started giving the park its personality.

In the five years it was open, the park became a destination for artists and downtown workers.  Then in September. 2020, it closed forever.  Again, according to a 2020 article by KMUW

After five years, the pop-up park in downtown Wichita has closed for good.

The park near Douglas and Market, funded in part by a Knight Foundation grant, was always meant to be temporary.

Developers haven’t decided yet what will replace the Pop-Up Park. Downtown Wichita says the same partners that originally built the park "will work with the community to reimagine the space, with the primary goal of challenging ways to think about and use public space."

A chain link fence at the spot now serves two purposes: blocking off the former park and showcasing the work of local artists. Kristen Beal is the founder of Harvester Arts, which is working with Bokeh Development and the Wichita Community Foundation to show artists’ work at the former park.

“The ChainLinkGallery is an effort to just continue to activate the site, but in a new way to keep people looking at it ... and let the public know that something is going to happen here,” Beal said. “So that they'll be watching for what's next.”

It appears every time I go past this area, there are new pieces of art.  Here are two I found in late November.

I have no idea who this artist is.

Believe me, I am NOT a prude, but I was very surprised to see such a risque painting in what should be a family friendly area.

I wonder if this painting will still be there should I visit in April.

As mentioned in the article, this park is located on the south side of the street between Douglas and Market in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me today, too.  
 
This will be my final Monday Murals until April 24.  However,  I invite each of you to stop by daily beginning on the 1st and continuing for 22 days where I share something I recycle, reuse, reduce, rethink, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, and/or re-purpose to keep it out of the landfill or the recycle center.  It all ends on what others call Earth Day, but I call bEARTHday.

24 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope that whatever replaces the PopUp Park is good.
And agree with you. I quite like that painting, but am very surprised to see it in a 'family friendly' zone.

Valerie-Jael said...

I hope that something good will be built to replace the park. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Quite a project and wow on that mural.
I would not call myself prude, either, but ads for sex-toys before 6pm on TV always have me wonder...

My name is Erika. said...

I'm with you o the second piece. It is really well done, but maybe a little too much for a public place. I wonder what statement the first one is trying to make. Perhaps the chain link fence. I am still amazed how many murals you have in Wichita. Here we hardly have any, or maybe I just am not good at seeing them. Happy Sunday! hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

The sad thing about the risqué painting is that it's also not a very good art work. So much of the public art that I've found is remarkable in quality and imagination. It will be interesting to see what is there the next time you visit.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

The idea is brilliant and I love seeing street art or murals. As for the risque, I am not opposed to it but if this is a family area the choice to put this up in the area is wrong thinking.

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope the space can be redeveloped and put to good use. A community garden, perhaps?

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love pop ups!

Tom said...

...some public art can be a bit too public!

Cloudia said...

I enjoy going around with you. This was fun

Rita said...

I wouldn't want her on a family friendly park space either. Goodness!
Interesting to learn about the park, though. :)

kwarkito said...

Amazing story concerning this park and this famous hole.

kwarkito said...

Amazing story concerning this park and this famous hole.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great story!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do hope the space can be redeveloped and put to good use.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

That painting is a bit over the top, or more accurately, under the bottom!

Rob Siemann said...

Reminds me of Amadeo Modigliani

Sami said...

Hope the park is redeveloped into something that is useful and family friendly. That second mural is really out of place there.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

s.c said...

I must say that those murals are really great. Pity from the pop up park. Hope something with the same intention will coming up.

Divers and Sundry said...

Downtowns are becoming prime spaces, and what to do with them can take time to work out. I trust your city will end up with something great (even if it always takes too long to see projects through).

Alice said...

They are beautiful paintings but, odd place for one of them

Jeanie said...

So many things happen in cities... but I'm glad these murals are there in yours.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A shame for something so clearly needed in the community! Some must surely have paid a lot of money to put that risque image there! As you can see I'm trying to catch up again! Hugs, Chrisx

magiceye said...

Interesting mural