Thursday, April 1, 2021

This is no April Fool's Day

 

Today we welcome a new host at Art Journal Journey.  Originally, it was supposed to be Eileen of The Artful Crafter.  Her theme was Inspired By which fit in nicely with my posts this month.  However, as many of you know by now, Eileen died last month, so Erika, aka BioArtGal and Chris, aka Pearshapedcrafting stepped in and dedicated this month to Eileen, who we were Inspired By.  Please join me this month as we pay homage to, and are inspired by, Eileen. 

As many of you long time visitors know, for 22 days in April, beginning with today and leading up to Earth Day, or what I call bEARTHday, I recycle, reuse, reduce, rethink, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, and/or re-purpose something to keep it out of the landfill.  I hope you will stop by each day and see what I have planned.  I've tried to keep most of my art simple this year, except with the possible exception of journal art, which seems to take me forever to put together.  I have a few simple crafts planned that anyone can make.  After all, if I can make it, so can you.

Back in December of last year, Art Journal Journey's host Tracey's theme was The Meaning Of.  I wasn't especially happy with the spread because I didn't want to show sadness over the holiday season.  I put the completed journal page away and didn't think about it until about a week ago.  I decided to pull it out and revamp it. 

I removed the words "What is the meaning of sadness?" from the page

and created the words "How could this happen?"

The bottom half of the page is the same as before.  In case you can't read it, it reads:

Mommy said Whiskers ran away, even after I gave her my Christmas hat.

This is Whiskers and her hat.

For this page, I began with red and green handmade shimmering mists.  I cannot take credit for Whiskers.  It's actually part of a painting created by my shopaholic friend Kathy, who actually drew herself holding her cat, Snowball.  She didn't want the drawing anymore and gave it to me, along with other images she had drawn she no longer wanted.  I tore around the piece and used the part I thought would go well with the little girl I found in a very old and crumbly book.  That's why her arm is torn.  That happened when I applied glue stick to the image.  All images and words were added using a glue stick.

Of course, this is also a show of sadness for the loss of one of our blogging community.  I'm so glad I repurposed this entry because it is so fitting for starting this month we dedicate to Eileen's memory.

This is Day 1 of 22 and I repurposed a journal page by changing the wording and attempting to repair the little girl's arm.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  Erika, Chris, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take of Inspired By (Eileen).   
We welcome art journal pages that meet the size and theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  



22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth, and very fitting as a tribute to Eileen. Have fun with your recycling days. Enjoy your day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, it sadly is no April Fool´s Day-"joke" knowing Eileen really has passed.
Sad Whiskers ran away. It´s a beautiful page, though!
"Mommy". MY Brother always refers to her as "Mama" whilst I say "Mutti"... they have to bring the saddest news often...

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely - but I feel that small girl's pain.

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry... "My" Brother. I probably should not recycle but throw the old keyboard over board, LOL...

WendyK said...

A beautiful page and very true mother’s do tend to dish out the bad news. I have had to do that quite a lot in my time as a mum. Very sad about Eileen’s passing.
Hugs Wendy.

aussie aNNie said...

Great and gorgeous card, love the design too along with the papers used. I was in day surgery yesterday so missed a few posts last couple of days. ♥

Roseline Tinz said...

I love your art and style. looks lovely and pretty!
Would you like to follow each other? If the answer is yes, please follow me on my blog & I'll follow you back. thank you.
http://www.rosetinz.com

My name is Erika. said...

This is a sad page Elizabeth but also quite a good one. Glad you shared it for your recycle month and for AJJ. I like Kathy's drawing, and I'm glad it is ripped and you included without cutting it. It fits the page better. This is a perfect start for AJJ and bearthday month too. Thanks for sharing this piece! Hugs-Erika

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What a wonderful site to remember Eileen. Now is the right time for you to grieve and you expressed it wonderfully.
Recycling is always a great idea.
Thank you and wish you a good day, hug Elke

Neet said...

What a lovely way to decide to honour your friend in this way by continuing with her theme. And how lovely that the Designer part is going to be shared by two of your team. Well done Erika and Chris.
Your page is a lovely idea too. What a sweet little girl that is and what a delightful cat, no wonder the wee one is upset.
Take care of you and of your two fur babies.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

This month will be a touching tribute to Eileen. My heart goes out to you all as you lift her up in memory.

Barbara said...

So perfect, Elizabeth. I love your shimmering paints. Thanks for your visit to my full moon doll. 😊

Jeanie said...

I like that you are dedicating the challenge to Eileen. She'd like that. And happy Bearth month!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page 😀. This is such a wonderful tribute to Eileen and the little girl captures our feelings with Eileen's passing, it's so heartbreaking to think she is no longer with us. I love that we get to celebrate and remember Eileen this month by joining her chosen challenge theme, thanking you and the rest of the AJJ team for organising this! Happy April! Hugs, Jo x

Birgit said...

This is a beautiful page. Wistful and sweet. The tear in the girl's arm seems to work with the look. I thought it was just meant to be.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page and tribute to dear Eileen!
I'm looking forward to your recycling posts too Elizabeth.
Alison xx

DVArtist said...

This is so heartfelt. A wonderful tribute. Have a nice day.

lichazul said...

Great page 👏👏👏 beautiful tribute
Hugs and blessing from Chile 💐

pearshapedcrafting said...

This does sum up the feeling of loss, not just Eileen but all the losses over the year, especially my lovely friend Sheila. It's a lovely page Elizabeth and a great tribute to Eileen. Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

A sweet page and a lovely way to remember Eileen.

Mae Travels said...

I admire your expansion of Earth Day into an extended effort to find new ways to do recycling and reuse. I liked your "second" post where you discovered how to reuse supermarket wrap instead of new cling-wrap. This wouldn't be sanitary for wrapping food, but I've tried hard to use washable containers instead of disposable bags and wraps.

I need inspiration for better choices like yours, though I won't be able to really think about it until I return from my rather long stay away from home. How can I reuse and recycle better?

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

I see why you repurposed it because it has a lovely sad feeling to it to represent something loved, has a piece of your friend, and has some lovely details. Now it will be even more meaningful to you as you think of both your friends when you see it. This is soooo cool! TFS. Hugz