Monday, April 19, 2021

Inspired by Esté MacLeod's Sketchbook Revival lesson

 

This idea was mostly my own after watching Esté MacLeod's lesson on Day 9 of Sketchbook Revival.  It's really the only lesson I was actually interested in viewing.  These lessons were geared for people who paint, draw, and sketch.  I am not capable of any of these.  Don't get me wrong.  I have other skills, but sketching and drawing aren't two of them.  These techniques are just not in my wheelhouse.

This is a screenshot of what Este created.  I thought this also would fit nicely with my recycling projects.  Cardboard tubes are a great way to get circles and other shapes.  And they are definitely recyclable, even with paint on them.  

I suggest finding tubes that are a bit stronger than those found holding toilet paper in place.  

Este also used watercolors, but I planned to use fluid acrylic paints.  The first thing I did was draw a circle on the 110 lb cardstock.  I would later regret doing that.

Using the long tube, I ran gold circles around the circle I drew.

Originally, I planned to change colors for the center, then decided to stay with the gold paint.

Once the gold paint was dry, I used every eraser I owned to try to remove the large circle I had created.  Sadly, all it did was to bring even more attention to the circle.

I originally wasn't planning on filling in the small circles, but needed a way to try to hide the mess I'd made with the erasers.  I was still working on filling in the small circles when the sun came up and brightened my workspace.
 
I grabbed some glaze called Iris Bleu.  Bleubeard was delighted and asked if they had named it after him.  He was so sure that was the case, I didn't have the heart to tell him differently.

Although Este's shapes were quite simple, I chose to try to shape the short toilet paper tube into a bird. 
 
For someone who can't draw, I was quite pleased with the way this turned out.

True to form, I didn't get a good stamping from the bird.  Even though it kept its shape, my less-than-successful stamping prohibited me from getting a good image.

I now give you my "sweet" bird on a flower.

For Day 19 of 22, I repurposed two cardboard tubes to use in making art.  They are now back in my basement studio where they live when they are not making circles and other art forms.  Thank you so very much for joining me today.  I am very grateful you are visiting and seeing what I'm keeping out of the landfill.   Since I was inspired to use these cardboard tubes in my art, I'm also joining Art Journal Journey, where we are honoring Eileen's Inspired By theme this month. 

I realize this is an art blog, and I don't often interject my opinion on current events.  However, I will be watching with great interest the closing arguments today of the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin who "allegedly" murdered George Floyd.  Remember, it only takes ONE person to vote not-guilty and they have a hung jury.  However, I want to reiterate my word of the year, which is HOPE.  I have HOPE the jury will do the right thing and vote him guilty of second degree murder.  I have HOPE in the unlikely event he is acquitted, or we have a hung jury, my country doesn't go off the rails and violently protest the decision.  I HOPE we are all safe after the verdict has been announced.  I'm just glad I'm not  sitting on that jury.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

You made me laugh with the even more attention to the circle-thingy!
The bird, great idea!

It is weird. Here police go only at "whites", they fear "colored". In your country it´s the other way round, both not fair. And also... here it´s only about money, never against life.
I hope the jury makes the proper job. Seeing those scenes was painful. Not understandable.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page. Love the fun bird! We need justice and truth for all, and hope. Hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Love it, I often use my rolls to pain onto my mixed media. xxx

Empire of the Cat said...

aww Bleubeard, sweet boy, of course he should have paint colours named after him :) I enjoyed Sketchbook revival but as yet not finished any of the projects, really need to get on that. I love how you shaped the cardboard tube into a bird shape, very clever. Elle xx

craftytrog said...

A great use of the cardboard tubes Elizabeth, and I love the bird!
I hope that jury makes the right decision, and poor George's family get justice.
Have a good week,
Alison xx

Annie said...

This is a fun idea! I hope you play with the bird some more. He has great possibilities for play. I doubt I could even have shaped the roll into a bird. I’m impressed with your paper roll sculpting abilities.
I have found only one eraser to be my best friend in art and everything else. A Pentel Clic Eraser. It very rarely fails me.

Nancy said...

Nice use of your materials- the bird is very clever. I enjoyed the series of videos, too. Like you, some were challenges outside my capabilities. But it's wonderful to see the things artists are up to. A generous offering.

DVArtist said...

There is so much one can do with cardboard rolls. This is a great example. You always show so much talent here. I too am watching the closing arguments. You are so optimistic. If the results are hung or acquitted our country WILL go mad. As you say we can only hope for the best.

Divers and Sundry said...

This is an interesting idea, and I love what you did with it. You could shape those rolls into all kinds of things, and it's a marvelous re-use of them.

Cindy McMath said...

Love your bird Elizabeth - such a clever idea! These rolls also make great hearts! Love the colours you chose and of course loved Bleubeard’s take on the paint colour.

Mae Travels said...

Thinking about racial injustices nationwide and worldwide is a really depressing endeavor. The number of ongoing issues right now is horrifying. I agree with you that being on that jury is a heavy responsiblity.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

I think your bird turned out great and is clever. Both the bird and flower are so cheerful.

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool stamping with rolls. The bird is a treat for sure and sooo creative. Fun colors and love the gold. I am praying for us all. Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

I like what you did. That little bird is quite clever and really finishes off the circles. I like your hand done recycled tube stamp. Another nice idea. Hope it was a nice Monday. Hugs-Erika

Elkes Lebensglück said...

That is cool the stamping with bird! Great Page!

RO said...

Your art project turned out wonderful, and I love the way you added colors and the bird. To get every perspective of that trial, I literally watched CNN, MSNBC, Fox and Court TV for the entire trial, and like everyone else in the world, I was there for the reading of the verdict. Justice was served in that instance, but the world has such a long way to go. Like you, I have hope. Hugs, and more hugs, RO