Thursday, December 24, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Night Before Christmas


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Night Before Christmas.  

 I first wrote this post in 2011, then showed it again on December 23, 2013.  My trees are in different places each year, as they are most years, but I hope you enjoy this look back at this Night Before Christmas when I hosted a T Tuesday event.  Today I'm sharing it with Rain and her Thursday Art Date.

 

Twas the night before Christmas

when all through 

the house,
Not a creature

was stirring,

Not even a mouse.
 
The stockings were hung on the sideboard with care,
In hopes that 

St Nicholas soon would be there.

Bleubeard was nestled all snug in his bed,
 
While visions of kitty toys danced in his head.

When outside my door there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer.
 
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.

So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St Nicholas too.
 
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.  

He'd spotted some eggnog all frothy with foam,
 
Then stayed for hot cocoa before heading home.

But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Join me at Rain's TAD, and have a great night!"

The images from the book Night Before Christmas were scanned with my thanks to Clement Clarke Moore (1779 - 1863) who wrote the poem in 1822 also called “A Visit from St. Nicholas."  All photos were by me.  Bleubeard remembers that night, too.  He remembers getting very little sleep that night.
 
Thank you ever so much for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date and have a safe, joyous, Christmas eve.
 
 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful post Elizabeth, take care, have a wonderful Christmas! Hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

. Merry Christmas. 🎄

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful rhyme, thank you, you made me smile!

Santa will be here tonight already. Merry Christmas to you, dear!

Karen said...

How fun! Merry Christmas!!! Love, Karen

My name is Erika. said...

This is SOOOOOO clever. I love it. We used to read this classic to my daughter before bedtime of Christmas Eve when she was little. I like this version better! Hope you have a fantastic holiday. Merry Christmas. Hugs-Erika

Elderberry-Rob said...

what a fun version of a Christmas classic :) thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

I love your illustrated "Night Before Christmas" and the chance to step into your holiday world. The best part? Seeing the elusive Bleubeard, all snug in his bed!

Merry Christmas, Elizabeth. It will be different but it will be special and memorable. Thank you for your friendship and comments throughout the year and for the joy you bring us.

Divers and Sundry said...

We have a love of little Christmas trees in common :) This is a great Christmas Eve post! Bleubeard has the right idea ;)

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this warm and wonderful Christmas post, Merry Christmas Elizabeth.

Rain said...

Oh that was so much fun Elizabeth! :) Thanks for sharing it!!! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!! xx

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This was such a good idea. I love those photos. And you certainly have such cheery decorations for Christmas! Your house looks quite welcoming for Santa Claus. :-) Best wishes for a lovely Christmas despite Covid restrictions. Next Xmas will undoubtedly be better. Take care and stay safe and well.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful festive post Elizabeth! Bleubeard looks very cosy.
Wishing you a very happy and blessed Christmas.
Alison xox

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great post Elizabeth, sending Christmas wishes your way for a blessed day. Merry Christmas Tracey xx

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth, you home is so lovely, with beautiful displays of Christmas. Wishing you the very best Christmas and of course a better 2021. I will be here with you in blogland. Hugs N.

Rita said...

LOL! Very cute!
Your house is always decorated in every room, I think! :)

NatureFootstep said...

Loved the Santa story. And it´s artwork. In the old days we also had a habit of leaving some food for santa. :)

Love your decorations. :)

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful Posting from Christmas story of the world! Beautiful dekos!
Merry Christmas and Take care and stay safe and well, hugs Elke

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You know, I think I probably haven't read "The Night Before Christmas" since my kids were young ... funny how reading it brought so many memories to mind and your antique settings remind me of my Grandmother's house. Oh, this was fun and up lifting ... Thank you, Elizabeth and as for Bleubeard ... did he really miss out on the opportunity to pull ribbons off of boxes. My kitties didn't have the opportunity, but my daughter's "Diva the devil child" cat managed to get into a few loosely wrapped packages. Little did she know that they were meant for her anyway. So I hope you have found a way to have a lovely Christmas. Being alone is hard, but you make such good company, I am guessing you can find ways to make yourself happy and Bluebeard and his friend will be there to give purrs and hugs to you. Merry Christmas, my friend ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

What a fun post and such a great way to incorporate your life into such a famous poem! We read The Night Before Christmas to our kids when they were little. Our oldest daughter was given a pop up book of the old poem which has seen some abuse but we used it for years. I still have it on the bookshelf. :) A belated Merry Christmas to you and may 2021 be good to year, my dear! {{hugs}}

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous post! I love these tours of your home but when its Christmas it's even better! Hugs, Chrisx