Friday, October 23, 2020

Friday Smiles 393: Making a Mask, Elizabeth style


It's Friday and time to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies who join in at Friday Smiles.   Today the funny is in this post.  Me trying to sew a mask is indeed hilarity.  Enjoy and laugh as you read how this non-seamstress tried to make masks for myself and my friends.

I'd like to begin by saying I checked about 40 web sites and blogs to find a way to create my masks without using elastic, which I didn't own.  This was back in late March or early April, when NO ONE was leaving their homes and nothing was open to buy any elastic.  From what I understood, even ordering elastic online was out of the question, since no one seemed to have any in stock.  My friend Scott even checked on Amazon and they were out at the time.

One of the first things I read was you needed three layers and several sites suggested using dried and never used wipes of some kind.  I had a container of Lysol wipes, so pulled out four and hung them to dry.

While they were drying, I cleaned my guillotine cutter, making sure it was sanitized.  I used a Purell wipe on it 

and on my sewing machine.  I am scared of this disease and didn't want to infect anyone, including myself.

What got me were the varying lengths and widths suggested for adult masks.  Sizes ranged from 1/2 up to 1 inch differences in both directions.

I settled on 9 inches of 100 percent cotton in one directions and I don't remember what the length was in the other direction.  Many sites suggested the cotton must be tightly woven, too.

I barely had enough fabric for the four fronts I was planning to make.

I decided to use some cotton fabric that was similar in color, although it doesn't look that similar in the above photo.

Now it was time to

assemble the three layers

and sew them together.

Then it was time to trim them.

At least two of the sites suggested using pronged paper fasteners for the nose closing.  I decided to make them such that the pronged fastener could be removed in order to wash the mask.  This is where hilarity began.

The hardest part for me was getting all the folds exactly even.  Be aware, I've never sewn a straight line in my life and I'm not known for measuring, either.  This time I tried, though.

You're now looking at the back side with the pronged protector ready to sit in place and the sides attached using velcro.

What happened when I put one on, you ask.  First, the pronged protector, didn't bend.  Instead it bent at a 90 degree angle, and it made the wearer (that would be both Sally and me) look like the wicked witch of the west.

Second, Sally's velcro didn't hold and when I tried to sew the velcro to the fabric, the sticky glue on the back gummed my needle so badly it tore the thread and I had to change it.  I ended up using E6000 on the velcro to hold it in place.

Third, I got the lengths of the sides too long, even for Scott and Sally.  Each had to be removed and cut down quite a bit.

Sally wore hers about 3 minutes, then removed it in disgust saying it was a disaster.  I wore mine most of the day, and Scott keeps his in his truck, although he admittedly prefers a bandana that he can tie in place.

I gave mine up after my friend Halle sent me one she made using elastic.

I know several of you who visit are real seamstresses, so I thought you might actually find this funny.  Never trust me to make anything that involves "real" sewing.

Thanks so much for spending time here today.  Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us.   

23 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy, to a total beginner (me) this is a pure horror-story!!!
I´d never had the patience! Just yesterday I bought a book (yes, paper) on how to learn to sew in no time. Hm. Like you, so far I never managed a straight line (OK I only made few attempts so far). So... instead of a smile... 😱😱😱

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, P.S. to make sure you don´t dream that dream again... come over and see Henry´s rescue! That might bring a 😃

Valerie-Jael said...

Well, at least you tried! I didn't have so many problems, there were lots of instructions on line and then it worked. I made over 200 masks in the end, lots of them are running about on people here! Have a nice day, and thanks for the story. Hugs, Valerie

Karen said...

Yup ~ I wouldn't even attempt so at least you tried! You got a story to laugh about with your friends too :) Enjoy the weekend!

RO said...

Wow! That sure sounds like an amazing adventure, and I had to chuckle along with you(lol) I loved the colors and the plan was so good. But you sure got much further along than I would have. It would have been a disaster for sure. Kudos for giving the effort though, and you deserve big hugs! RO

Barbara said...

I was a total klutz the two times I tried to make a mask. I finally ordered a couple online, a very good decision!

CJ Kennedy said...

I wouldn't have even known were to start. Kudos to you. I made some masks in the beginning with bandanas and the loops you use to make potholders. New sewing involved because that's beyond me.

mamapez5 said...

I smiled at that saga Elizabeth. I never sew unless I have to and we were lucky in that our local governors gave out free masks at the start of the lock-down, mainly to us oldies, so I easily qualified for those. They weren't long life ones, but while I was using them I managed to buy some better ones online, so have not needed to get the sewing machine out. I hope you eventually got enough to keep you 'covered'. I am also quite nervous about the virus which has now come to our little village, so we are becoming hermits again.
Stay safe and keep smiling through it all. Kate xx

Annie said...

Oh Elizabeth. I hope you don't mind that I'm having a good chuckle here. I'd be more than happy to help if only we lived closer....I much have made well over 2000 now [I must have a count up sometime].
Just stay safe and well my friend.
Hugs,
Annie x

DVArtist said...

Well I think you did a great job and the wipes are a great idea. Enjoy your day.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Well done for having a go, the only way to learn is by making mistakes now and then. I don't think it helps that there are so many variations on line but I hope it doesn't put you off completely as I'm sure next time you'll be more successful. Happy Friday smiles, Angela xXx

My name is Erika. said...

Too bad about the outcomes of you mask. It makes great reading however. And I bet if you wanted you could elastic and go back to fix it. I think the front part looks good. I think they are going to be part of the styles for quite some time. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

Helen said...

At least you had a go! I even saw some "no-sew" versions and didn't try! I bought some disposable ones to start with, before I got some from Annie herself (won a couple in a giveaway, and then bought some extras)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

you gave it your best shot that's all that matters !!! ☺☺☺ I gave up "sewing" in 7th grade when asked to remove a hem from a dress; long story short, the front of the dress had a hole big enough to toss a softball thru ~~~~~~ :)

LA Paylor said...

well done!
I use the bendable tabs off the top of coffee bags, and shoelaces with bead stoppers for ear loops...
LeeAnna

Let's Art Journal said...

This did make me smile! If it's any compensation it took me a few attempts to get my hubby's masks fitting correctly ...lol 😀. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Mae Travels said...

Same thing happened here: nothing to be bought to make masks last spring. I figured out how to make them from old t-shirts, using the hems as slightly stretchy bands to go around the back of our heads. Eventually we also found some old sleeping masks from the kits they give you on long distance air trips, and cut the elastic off those.

I still prefer to have a band behind my head and neck rather than around my ears, and I'm still wearing the masks made of old t-shirts, which have very good filtering capability.

Also, a lot of people made cloth masks with cloth strips or bindings that tied behind the head.

I'm glad that almost all the shortages have finally been resolved now, with a few exceptions.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lisca said...

Annie is not the only one to put a smile upon my face. I actually did find it funny, luckily you could see the funny side of your sewing endeavors too. Good try!
I have seen lots of videos about making a mask out of a sock, like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYjb5U-Vo0).
You say you sigh when you look at my collages, but we wear masks all the time. I sometimes just move it away for the photo, but in these collages there was no cheating.
The collage from Friday shows my gym teacher taking our temperature with a gun shaped instrument (no touching) both he and the other lady are wearing masks.
On Saturday you can see me have breakfast. I was just taking my mask off to sip my juice, but I still have it in my hand. Where I was praying with my friend, we are sitting a meter apart and wearing masks. Katerina, who came to visit, is sitting at the other side of the table from us and has just taken off her mask as she is actually eating.
The Sunday collage shows hubby and his friend playing the guitars and wearing masks.
On Monday when hubby is talking to our neighbour (bottom right) they are both wearing masks. The other two photos are of my husband relaxing at home. No, we do not wear masks at home when we are alone.
Tuesday shows me outside the restaurant, wearing a mask. The other two are of hubby in front of the house. No mask as we are at home with nobody else around.
Wednesday’s collage does not show any people apart from the workman working on the wall. He is wearing a mask.
So don't worry, we are abiding by all the rules of the government and of common sense too. It helps that we live in a rural village and that most people will stick to the rules (no rowdy students).
Hope you are having a good weekend,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth, you did make me laugh! I did manage to sew two masks that we do wear but we found some really colourful ones with removable filters (for washing) and more sombre ones that we used for the funeral last week so have a a whole mask wardrobe to choose from (I think we will be wearing them for some time!)
We wear them on local walks in the village and of course in shops. When we are in parks or gardens we can mostly stay away from other people(there are a few Covidiots around, in which case our masks are in our pockets for using then) One thing I read today was that some folk have never washed their masks since we had to start wearing them and even using the same disposable mask since then...some people huh!! Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

At least you tried! :-) xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You did more than I did lol I wore a bandana 'til my disposable ones came. I'm sticking with the throw-away kind ;)

Julia Dunnit said...

Well I’m impressed that our tried Elizabeth. I can sew and there’s a machine knocking about the house and yet....I haven’t. I just knew it wouldn’t work out for me. I did smile, it’s funny that other people write these instructions and think they’re so easy to follow! I hadn’t heard about the idea of using the dried wipes as a layer, I think that’s a very good one.

Jeanie said...

Well, I am NOT a seamstress -- I even use tape to hem pants. So I admire you for even trying! I have made we tears in my masks to insert one of those twistie bag things (and then I found thin art wire in my stash). It works OK and now most of mine are cut so I don't need that.