Thursday, May 7, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Your Flower


Today we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Your Flower.

I'll start by pounding an iris or two.

I like how this turned out.

I created this for a challenge.

Here's a detail of the left side.

An ICAD from 2017.

I created this in my Coll-AH-ge altered book made from recycled materials.

I was auditioning several layouts for a quiltlet

and never came up with a design I liked.  All backgrounds were hand painted or hand dyed by me, as were the yellow petals.

I called this Funky Flowers, and created it for a challenge.

These were made using deli papers.  Every time I moved the page, I had to fluff the flowers.  Since the page was scanned, the flowers were definitely flattened.

This is quite recent, as some of you saw from this year's 22 days of recycling.

This was created in my large art journal.

This was for one of the words I created in my Alpha-Numeric altered book I made for the year long Craft Barn challenge.

I created this one April during my 22 days of recycling.  My grandmother crocheted the flower.

I made this in my 7-Continents altered book.

This was another recycled project.  It's made from a cracker box, but looks like wood.

Part of a three person round robin I was in.

I am not sure I like this one, but I was playing around with rust when I created this quiltlet.  I practically hid the pressed pansy in the center.

A recent entry from this year's 22 days of recycling.

This one, made with a painted wood substrate, was part of a Summer of Color challenge.  The blue and orange flowers (originally white) were dyed for the challenge.

Another Summer of Color challenge entry.  I turned the flowers from an old calendar into a transparency, but it doesn't show well on the scan.

Another Summer of Color challenge, again on wood.  The various layers of fabric were hand dyed (by me).  The flowery heart was created from a stencil.

I made cabbage roses from cutting the end of a stalk of celery and stamping.  Here I've not sewn the two sides together yet.

I dyed all my fabric for every Summer of Color entry. 

Another Summer of Color entry.  The birds and flowers were dyed using blackberries from my garden and the rick rack was dyed using turmeric.  The background fabric was spritzed using my handmade shimmering mists.

Yet another Summer of Color entry.  For this one, I painted the wood and painted the white flowers.

I bet you know I'm going to say this is another Summer of Color entry.  Yes, it's on wood, and the center, made of heavy embossed chip board, was colored using a pan pastel.  That's when I learned you have to seal the pan pastel or it gets all over your arm.  Yes, I colored the flowers, too.

Another Summer of Color entry.  I fussy cut all those flowers and added some on both sides to the base of the watering can.  The background is my handmade shimmering mists.

I've never said I was original.  This was made for a Summer of Color entry and it is also made of wood I painted.  Note the beads I made from polymer clay to match the color scheme and the lace at the bottom I also dyed.  I painted the doily and dyed the lavender flowers.

Now let's switch gears

and head to my front Flower Bed.
This one shows both my front Flower Bed and my herb garden in the rain.

I purchased this Kalanchoe one autumn because I've never seen a multi-colored one before.

A friend went to Hawaii and brought me this beautiful flower tea mug.

I had tea one T Tuesday in my Flower Bed.

At one time, I had a lot of tulips

in my front garden.

This is one of several Rose of Sharon plants I have.

The flowers are lovely, but they attract ants.  They don't press well, though.

This is a close up of blackberry flowers

located in my herb garden.

In late summer, I have wild sunflowers.

It's how I know autumn will soon be here.

And finally, here are this year's hyacinths in my Flower Bed garden.

I'm afraid I got a little (OK, a LOT) carried away this week.  As you can see, I could go on practically forever using this theme.  All art created by me, all photos taken by me.  Bleubeard supervised (and got bored about half way through).

Thanks for stopping by.  I probably don't say it often enough, but I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.

23 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Very creative post, love your blooming garden and the great bits n pieces you used to create. The iris pounded flat is amazing.xx

Iris Flavia said...

I thank my Dad that I´m not scared of that hammer.
Also that flower with that name looks different here, phew ;-)
My Dad would also have loved the second, he was a watchmaker, too.

Ohhh, and I remember in the early 80´s we collected those tin-thingys - what are they called? - we gave them to a station and they made wheelchairs with them.
These days they stick to the can and likely that was just a hoax to make us kids not throw them on the ground wherever we were.

Are those sweets to eat with the yellow ones? Love the heart. Oh, plural again, what a tribute to your Grandmother! Triple! Wise words there, oh and the pearl.
Dumb question, did the Summer of Color entry smell of it´s ingredients? I´m tempted to try this!
The last one made me a tad sad. Spring and Summer always rush by so quickly...

Bleubeard!! LOL - how can you get bored with this beauty???

Still to cold for planting, my T advised mid-May earliest... He´s from former GDR and learned it all at school! So, I listen.
Thank you for the colorful ride :-)

Sami said...

Very colourful flower post. My favourites were the green watering can, the blue/orange flowers and both with the yellow flowers with the clock.
Spring seems to be on the way with so many flowers in your garden.
I also have a red and an orange Kalanchoe, part of my succulent garden.

CJ Kennedy said...

A beautiful post filled with lots of eye candy. Your floral creations rival those in your garden. Take care.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What creations you have made beautiful and imaginative with hammer or needle and all the things and flowers that make a great work of art.
Beautiful flower photos from your garden and bouquet!
I wish you a nice May and stay healthy, hugs Elke

Barbara said...

Flower pounding is fun! I like that photo, then your grandmothers crocheted work is very special. Beautiful all around!

nanskidrewski said...

Wow!! cool, colorful, repurpose-full, and fun!!!What a combination! Hard to pick a favorite!

DVArtist said...

Every time I come to your blog I think, "she is so cleaver" Some of these art flowers are just ingenious. Love you photos and garden.

Meggymay said...

Wow, you never cease to amaze me, all these floral pages are beautiful, although I am wondering about the hammer. It looked rubber covered so did you use it inked for your flower petals?
Great photos as well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Your Artworks are all espectacular Elizabeth !! I really admire how you create the iris pages with the hammer. Your flowers on the pages and other artpieces are amazing, full of colour and happiness. Great !
Love the squirrel in your garden (of the post before) and beautiful flowers.
The tea mug is fabulous, what a lovely detail.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs,
Caty

craftytrog said...

Such a lot of beautiful eye candy Elizabeth! I love all your art pieces.
It was a pleasure to drop by!
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you created those flowers with such a variety of style/color/structure/arrangement... Wonderful!

You have a nice variety of flowers. What is it with Rose of Sharon and ants? I'd try one in a pot if not for that. The flowers are so pretty. Berries is one of the plants I wish I had enough sunshine for. Especially blackberries :) I have a fall-blooming wild sunflower, too, but it's a different one than yours. So many different ones I can't identify mine lol

I've been thinking about your neighbor's fence... I'd be tempted to plant a hedge along it, or something to attract birds and butterflies. I'm looking on it like a blank canvas that can't be painted but could serve as a background.

Karen said...

Lot's and lot's of flower art and real flowers ~Beautiful!~ I have a rose of sharon that stopped blooming...I should research what she needs. Probably plant food or more sun etc. Enjoy your day!

Christine said...

Love all your beautiful flowers!

JFM said...

I am anew follower of your blog.
Loving the art and the photos!
Quite the happy and colorful post!
I totally enjoyed it 🌷☕

Gillena Cox said...

These are gorgeous Elizabeth

Happy Thursday

Much💙🌎💚love

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the iris pounded flat and the Funky Flowers are so colourful.
But you have shared a truly wonderful collection here and some gorgeous photographs from your garden.
A lovely post, thank you.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

So much gorgeous flower art. There are some very clever pieces. This was a fun post to read and view. Hugs-Erika

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are indeed prolific in everything you do, from your art to your gardens. Like you, I can reach back through years of works and go on and on in my posts ... but the good thing about that i,s I enjoy doing it and the good thing about yours is, they are all beautifully and personally done and we all love them. You and Blackbeard make a great team and I love coming to visit you. I hope you are staying home and being safe :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Jeanie said...

What wonderful interpretations of flower art. Although I think my favorites are actually the tulips in your garden! I am supposed to do a Southern Exposure workshop on flower pounding in June. I hope it will feel safe enough to go. If not, we may drive over to get the kit and do it at home. Not the best but better than nothing. I love what you did here.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! Fabulous art and photos!
I was looking through the Gardens tip in journals we joined with others to make way back in 2016! I seem to remember that yours was 'Rust'!
Hugs, Chrisxx

Words and Pictures said...

So, "pounding an iris"... I'm guessing from the mallet that's not a figure of speech and you have actually been pounding an iris to create those beautiful flowers! What a wonderful floral post, so full of inspiration old and new. I loved seeing your garden photos too - the blackberry flowers with the droplets on the petals - glorious! Bleubeard may have got bored, but I certainly didn't. Still sending well-wishes for your health.
Alison x

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth :) Your post is great, you have so many flower pieces! It's a beautiful subject, but I have to say, your recycled clock/flower pieces are my favourite, you're so creative. I love the button flowers too! You do have lots of pretty flowers in your garden. I don't have any yet, I hope to get some planted next summer. Beautiful post! :)