Friday, April 17, 2020

Where is all the toilet paper? (turns out to be a Friday Smile)


Hurrah!  I'm back online.  Yesterday morning, for once when I called AT&T (my worthless internet provider), instead of getting the normal bored person who was tired of hearing my pleas, I got a recorded message telling me it appears there has been an outage in my area.  The sweet (?) voice on the recording soothingly assured me technicians were working on the problem and I would be back online as soon as they had corrected the problem.  At first I checked every hour, then every four hours.  At midnight my time, I called and got that same recording.  I felt horrified, because I had not, unlike normally, scheduled anything.   Finally, I was able to get online.  It was a fluke that I even checked.

Now that I'm back online, I'm joining Valerie's Geometric Shapes theme at Art Journal Journey, and without originally planning to, I'm also joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles

This is a tongue in cheek look at toilet paper and why (at least in the U.S.) it is so scarce.

I call it Where has all the toilet paper gone?

Here's the true story:
Did you know that toilet paper we buy for our
homes is made from VIRGIN pulp of trees?
It goes through many processes, including
bleaching so it is white.
Why is it hundreds and hundreds of palettes of
toilet paper are sitting in warehouses just
gathering dust?  It is because it is designed
for industry, like restaurants, libraries,
schools, laundromats, factories, offices, and
other public restrooms.  The fiber content is
different, as is the process.  The process
uses recycled fibers, not virgin pulp.
Now you know!
It's ironic that, because the process that wipes our bums at school, in restaurants, and other pubic places, isn't good enough to wipe our bums at  home.  Because all these public places have been closed due to COVID-19, the toilet paper designated for public places cannot (for some ridiculous, I'm sure government initiated reason) be repurposed for home use.  I remember when I worked in industry, the toilet paper had the words "contains recycled fibers" or similar wording written on it.  For those of you who worked in schools or hospitals, I'm sure you remember the toilet paper was a bit less soft.  I bet you used less at work than at home, too, mainly because the stuff you use at home falls apart faster.

Having said all that, I recently stumbled on an Old House Journal magazine in my stash.

I defy you to find the toilet paper

in any of these three high end baths from the early 20th century.

For this two page spread I created in my Stress Free altered book, I began with pages I had previously painted red with leftover fluid acrylic.  For the left side, I started with a complete deconstructed security envelope.  I showed the page title through the security window and added the words backed by a different colored security envelope (that unfortunately picked up some of the black water soluble crayon when I laid it too close to the other, still wet images).

For the right side, I included two images backed by another security envelope.  All three images were found in the Old House Journal, a freebie magazine issue I received a few years ago in hopes I would buy the magazine in the future.

Today I'm sharing this at Art Journal Journey using Valerie's Geometric Shapes theme, as well as Annie (at A Stitch in Time) at Friday Smiles. I'm sure Valerie can find a few geometric shapes in this spread and I suspect the lovely ladies who visit Friday Smiles will get a chuckle out of this spread, too.

For Day 17 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday, I recycled three images from an old freebie magazine and three security envelopes.  What have you recycled today?

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful pages, thanks for the toilet paper history. Hope our internet lasts a bit longer this time...Have a fun day, Valerie

J said...

Morning Elizabeth, I love your pages and the history of toilet paper! I always have one of the giant rolls of kitchen paper on hand for cleaning the log fire glass so when it all started I ought another one, i thought if the toilet paper runs out at least we have a substitute, actually I haven't bought any toilet paper at all as I always have a good supply and being only two of us still have enough, thank goodness.
Sorry you ares till having problems with your internet, it's not good at any time but even worse at this time especially.
I had a facetime chat with Sharon and another crafty friend from Wisconsin and one in Australia, it was great fun and cheered us all up no end.
Have a great weekend Elizabeth
Jan x

aussie aNNie said...

Loo paper story, rather interesting., Have a good weekend and stay safe

Meggymay said...

I am grinning at this post and singing in my head aversion of,' Where have all the flowers gone'. It was a really interesting read, you just wonder how they can justify storing products that folk need to use.
It is a fantastic recycled journal spread and those bathroom photos looked super, no signs of the toilet paper, they must have thought it not proper to talk about such things in the old days.
I hope your internet issues have been resolved today, you must dread turning on the computer.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

Karen said...

Too funny! Great theme, and I love how you used the security window to emphasis the question. You can buy commercial grade toilet paper on Amazon if you really want to find it. Our Wegmans store has loads of their store brand tp, and our target is getting deliveries now and if you get to the store by 8 or 9 am you can get toilet paper there too. Thank goodness! now the shelves that are empty here are the hair dye aisle :) I love the old photos with no paper in view ~ that's funny! It must be mounted on the wall on the other side?! ~ Blessings

My name is Erika. said...

I think this page will bring you right back to these isolation times when you look at it in the future. Clever idea and perfect for the challenge too. Are you keeping a covid-19 journal? This would be perfect for one. I have friend who is documenting it in a scrapbook, and I doodle different details in my daily calendar. I have been tracking numbers of cases in New Hampshire and watching them go up-you could say I am doing some scientific data collection-ok and geeking out. Happy Friday. Love this page. Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

Well now we know! Those are great vintage images you found.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, great reading today. It's interesting that we are told these days to be careful what we put down the toilet yet in the past (not that long ago really) they use newspaper and flushed it down. We seem to be suffering more from a lack of flour right now, the toilet rolls seem to have reappeared. Have a lovely weekend and hope the internet behaves. Angela xXx

Barbara said...

Great page thoughts! Very seriously interesting, also very entertaining in seeing ourselves in a light we never expected!

kathyinozarks said...

Great page!

Sami said...

Glad your internet problems seems to have been solved.
Not sure why, but it seems all over the world people have gone crazy buying out toilet paper. We also have shortages here in Australia, although just this week I popped to my local supermarket on the way home and found the toilet paper aisle had probably about 40 packs. I didn't need any, but hopefully it made a few people happy :)
I liked your pages Elizabeth, have a great weekend :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great idea for your art journal pages. Maybe they don't allow fiber toilet paper for home use because it can ruin septic systems? I don't know if it does, so I'm just wondering. I have a septic tank, so I make sure I buy the "septic friendly" toilet paper. And now there is none to be found. :-(

Annie said...

I'm glad to hear your Internet problems have been fixed and it's good to see you joining in today.
Thank for your lovely comments today....I made my dress and it was very much of it's time with long sleeves and high neckline....I felt like a princess in it :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Divers and Sundry said...

The internet should be reliable. I'm sorry you continue to have problems :(

I'm told we all need to buy bidets. That'd be one answer. I'm tempted.

Caty said...

Great and funny story Elizabeth !! Good question :) Awesome page !
I remember that 4 weeks ago, we couldn´t find any toilet paper at the supermarket haha, everybody wanted it. Well, now there´s no problem to buy it.
Have a very nice weekend, stay safe and well, and biig hugs,
Caty

Lisca said...

What a fun post today Elizabeth! I had to smile (well, of course it is Friday Smiles after all).
Very entertaining background story about toilet paper. (I'm not sure it is the same in Europe, as we can buy the cheap variety in the supermarkets too. It all depends on what you want to spend).
And I enjoyed seeing those beautiful bathrooms from bygone days. You're right, no toilet paper. I wonder what they did use... newspaper?
I'm glad you are back online. Hope it stays that way.Have a lovely weekend,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting read. TP isn't just being hoarded here. I read a story of a store manager in Australia refusing to refund a guy who bought a ton of TP. eBay shut him down for trying to sell with a huge markup. He tried to get the store to give him a refund. I think they said he had enough toilet paper to last 15 years. If that isn't bad enough, a paper mill in Maine exploded the other day. Glad you're able to get online.

Jeanie said...

Welcome back (and thanks for your visit!) and I'm so glad the computer is working again. Love this page both for your skill and for its timeliness! It's a great entry to the weekend!

Mia said...

I did not know that toilet paper for public use is different from the toilet paper we buy at home. Thank you for the information for share with us, Elizabeth. And I llllllllove your new spread. Great layout with these beautiful vintage photos. Well, I think I need to buy some liquid acrylics too. Hugs, my friend.

Cindy McMath said...

Great spread Elizabeth. We can buy TP with recycled content here in Canada (at grocery stores). My understanding of the “shortage” is that it’s been caused by people over-buying / hoarding. I’m sure there will be a surplus at some point as people realize they have more than they need. I read an interesting article the other day about panic buying and how the sight of empty shelves causes anxiety which in turn leads to people loading as much as they can into their carts. Strange times indeed!

Rita said...

Yes, I did know about the two ways of making toilet paper. Cute page. Glad you are back online! :)

Susan Kane said...

This is awesome. Your humor is just the ticket.

Iris Flavia said...

"Pleas"? Well, I agree, I´m also polite on the phone, as that person is not the problem, but by now I´d complained!

What is it with that TP?! Hubby saw a man yesterday with a huge bag of it! Holy Sh#t!
I saw a pic of a terrified looking koala chewing on eucalyptus leaves... and a man saying, "when I´m in the woods I wipe my arse with leaves". Hm.
Well, with all those facilities sadly closed, we should have enough... Great page, hope some day we really can laugh about all this...
Darn. I certainly peeped my eyes out zooming in the first page, just to see later you show the details... I never learn!

Some great designs of bathrooms!
And I do think the "accident" with the security envelope just is perfect!

mamapez5 said...

It was really interesting to read this and I love the way you have put your journal pages together. I am environmental officer for our Chaplaincy so recycling is close to my heart,
I hope you managing to get most of what you need. I am though green veggies and salad seem to be in short supply in the village shops. I will probably go a bit further to one of the larger supermarkets soon, and then I will see better what supplies are running low.
I hope your internet behaves for you now. Kate x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this loo-py spread! Some very interesting facts too! I hope that your internet starts to behave itself soon - this is not a good time to be stressed! Take Care, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, what a wonderful post! Despite your struggles with the internet, you've clearly kept your sense of humour!

It's a terrific page spread. I love those vintage bathroom illustrations - just fabulous to see them in close-up. I do like the ornate taps and filigree windows. Nice to see the towels all lined up ready for use... they're going to need them since you are right and there is clearly no toilet paper to be had!

Definitely remember commercial toilet paper in schools - here in the UK there was a sort of shiny crackly stuff... the opposite of absorbent and deeply unpleasant to use.
Alison x