Saturday, October 12, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies: I'm stuck in the 90s.


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  Some I've even seen more than once!  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.   They are often hilarious, many times irreverent, but always in a polite and kind way.  Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

One thing you should know about my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.   Although there is a love interest, the main plot is rather bloody in the end.

James Ellroy's complex 1950s detective story was turned into a film in 1997.   I loved the period authenticity, as well as the way corruption in the Los Angeles police department was conducted and portrayed.  Everything from the cars to the furniture to the clothing was authentic.  It stands to reason, so was the corruption.

Prostitution, homosexual blackmail, females given plastic surgery to make them look more like real film stars, were pitted against both good and corrupt police in this convoluted film.  The film pulls you in from the very beginning and doesn't let go.  You have to watch it all the way through to fully appreciate it.  Be sure to pause it if you need a potty break or a refill of your favorite beverage.

IMBd has an excellent synopsis:
As corruption grows in 1950s Los Angeles, three policemen -- one strait-laced, one brutal, and one sleazy -- investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice.
Thanks for visiting today and joining me for Saturday afternoon at the movies.  I believe you can find L.A. Confidential on Amazon Prime. I saw it on cable TV in the states.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

I like to watch series like Blue Bloods, Navy CSI and such and oh too often it´s about terrorism these days.
And when you have a look these episodes are more than 10 years old but we still have the same problem...
Sometimes I fear how my Nieces will grow up and live...

froebelsternchen said...

I think I haven't seen this yet.
I am in awe of the new David Cameron documentary . The Game Ganger 2o18..... I love it. Such a fantastic positive vegan inspiration for people.
Happy Saturday!
Susi xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think I've seen this one. Shoes on the other foot now. 😺

Sami said...

I saw this one many years ago, can't remember much about it, will have to see it again. Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

RO said...

I thought this was well done and quite good too. Now I'm in the same boat as you because my computer has died, and I'm crying(lol) I'm here at the library, and even though they love me a little, the computer kicks you off after a certain point. Hope all is well with you these days! Hugs, RO

kathyinozarks said...

I haven't seen this one, but am sure I would enjoy it
Happy Saturday

Birgit said...

This is an excellent film and one I own. It really does show the corruption plus some of the real things main Hollywood stars were in like Lana Turner, who ended up in a scandal when her daughter killed her monster boyfriend and Robert Mitchum who went to jail for smoking pot. Each person was not black and white but had many layers. The straightlaced cop was physically abusive. The other cop who was sleazy had a heart and the other was too ambitious and loved the limelight. Loved all the characters

Rita said...

One of those movies that I think I have seen but I'm not positive. I might have to look it up. Thanks! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have seen this twice - once at the cinema when it was released and again on TV! I recall being fascinated by the whole corruption and I'm not so sure that this doesn't still happen - maybe not at such a violent level! Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Not sure if I have actually seen this one although I recognise the title ...lol 😉. Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

I've heard a lot about this film but never saw it. In the 90's my daughter was an infant and I was rather sidetracked, unless you count Barney, Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh. (Smile). But thatnks for the suggestion. I will have to check it out. Hugs-Erika

Susan Kane said...

I remember seeing this movie at home, and it was good. As Brigit said above, it has many layers. Each cop was a two sided coin. This period piece was excellent in capturing that time.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't think I ever saw this one.

Lowcarb team member said...

Brilliant choice.
One of mine and Eddie's favourites :)

All the best Jan