Friday, October 25, 2019

Friday Smiles 343: Back to the Eisenhower Museum


It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  I definitely won't be around next Friday because it's the first day of the month, and it's also the start of Art Every Day Month, or AEDM.  This will be my eighth year I have joined this daily event.  Although I normally post every day, I make an effort to create as much art as possible during November every year.

Let's head back to the museum.  We have already seen the introductory gallery, which is where we were last week.  We have yet to see the changing exhibits gallery, the First Lady's gallery, the military gallery, and the presidential gallery.   This week we begin with the changing exhibits gallery.

Eisenhower was quite proud of the fact that he was from the heartland.   As the image shows, he not only came from the heart of America, he also defined it.  Here he is shown at age 16.

Various buildings and places around Abilene, Kansas where he was raised.




The irony is, he wasn't born in Abilene, nor did he die here.  Still, he identified with Abilene and called it his home.

I wish I could have gotten closer, but there were tons of people reading every word and not moving out of the way.


I told everyone I knew I had seen that photo of the family before when I saw it in the Eisenhower home.  You will see it a lot this week!





It's time to meet the brothers.  You can see they were all accomplished in their own right.

The story goes (part of the orientation film) that Ike was a nickname shared by all of the Eisenhower boys.  Edgar, the second born, was “Big Ike” and Dwight, the third born, was “Little Ike.” However, “Little Ike” was the only one of the brothers still using the nickname as an adult.

When it came time for the young men to attend college, “Big Ike” and “Little Ike” created a pact. Because there wasn’t enough money for both to go to college, they would work as a team, alternating years in college with years working so that both could complete their degrees.  Later we'll learn how the plan got derailed.  It was too bad Edgar didn't care for Ike's presidency.

If you are like me and come from a very small town, you can relate to what Ike said: 
It was a good, secure small-town life, and that we wanted for luxuries didn't occur to any of us.

You saw this bible in the boyhood home.  I skimmed it and thought the page was open to Ike's birth.  Not so.  It was open to Paul, the fifth son, who died when he was 10 months old.

I learned that Ida had been orphaned, but came into a small inheritance, which allowed her to attend college, where she met David.  She was also an accomplished pianist.

I also learned that Ike's first name at birth was David, after his father.  Because it was confusing to have two Davids in the household, and Ida didn’t want anyone mistakenly calling her son “junior,” she switched his first and middle names. While we and the world know him as Dwight David, his original birth name of David Dwight remains in both the Eisenhower family Bible and his high school yearbook.

Roy was the fourth born, but I got the photos out of order when I was trying to reach over or between others who were reading the information, too.

Earl was the sixth born and apparently did quite well for himself.

Although Ike said Milton had the brains, I also believe he had the conscience and the moral fortitude, too.  I can see why they were so close and why Milton was also able to work with both Kennedy and Johnson, who were democrats. 

 
I had to wait until the people reading the information were finally gone, to read the fascinating story of prejudice that Ike dispelled. The story goes that Ike attended integrated schools, but when some of his football teammates refused to line up opposite a visiting African American player, Eisenhower volunteered for the position, and shook the player's hand after the game. As a boy from the wrong side of Abilene's class-dividing tracks, Ike knew the minimizing indecencies of prejudice all too well.  This trait served him well his entire life.  As president, he worked hard to desegregate the nation’s capital and fulfilled his predecessor Harry Truman’s order to desegregate the military.   To his credit, Ike made substantial progress in the area of civil rights, more so than any individual president since Abraham Lincoln.  But all that will come later in life!

I think it's a good place to stop.  Remember, I will not be here next Friday, but hope to join you most of November.

I hope you are enjoying this museum as much as I.  Now let's see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.
 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fascinating photos from the museum about Eisenhower and his family and birth place. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Coming from the heart of America must be a proud thing to say, as giving the hometown that honour.
What has my hometown, apart from Steinweg, who ran away to change his name to Steinway and go to America to produce his pianos there cause he was not respected "here"...

So many children. My Grandma had nine, and only seven survived, am I glad we can decide these days.

Hmmm.. here people rather walk by, we´re usually the only ones who stop and read! Great your pace is different!

Prejudice is really a bad thing. I am not free from it. A financial refugee once grinned at me and said something, thanks google translate I learned... it was not nice (and it was a cold day, I wore long clothes).
On a lighter note I read "Black like Me" by John Howard Grifffin, a "white" person who darkened his skin and went into the South in the late 50´s in America.
He learned the bad - but also the good!

kathyinozarks said...

I am really enjoying these photos to this museum so much, I appreciate all the photos and information Happy Friday hugs Kathy

Annie said...

What a talented family. I can relate to the bit about coming from a small town and the not needing luxuries. I came from a village in the countryside and our needs were simple.
Hugs,
Annie x

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing photos of this museum... super! What a family!
Thank you for all the interesting facts!
Happy start of the weekend!
Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

Thank you for more super photos, I have learnt a lot more reading these posts about his family. I don't think our history books about this great man include any of this information.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Barbara said...

Enlightening museum. There is so much to learn about former presidents.

My name is Erika. said...

I love the part about Big Ike and Little Ike. I think Little Ike went on to be a bigger Ike than Big Ike. Smile. I am enjoying my visit, and one of these years I think it needs to be on my to visit list. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

The photos provide an interesting glimpse into the family. The more you post about this place the more I want to go :)

Jeanie said...

They hada question about this on Jeopardy last night or the night before and I got it right away, thanks to you! Interesting about "David." When I heard that, I immediately thought about his grandson, David Eisenhower.

Rita said...

All very handsome young men! Quite the family. :)

Sami said...

A very accomplished family and an interesting Museum to visit.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, you thought you were late but I am later still. It's just been a busy week here and I've hardly been at home in fact I've been to the craft club today and will post photos for it next week. I have to say the Eisenhowers were quite a large family but I guess that was more usual then. Dwight was rather good looking at age 16, bet the girls loved him. Thank you so much for letting us join you on this amazing trip. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh good, glad I came by on an Ike day. I have to tell you, after being born into a Yeller Dog Democrat family in Arkansas and remaining one until I was 51 (I became an Independent in 2007), I had quite the surprise when reading biographies of both Republican presidents Calvin Coolidge and Ike. They were both very good ones. And probably would have liked and understood each other a lot. Too many people today think Ike was not activist enough with the schools in the south and label him a racist when the fact is he respected the law and states rights was the law on this at the time. Subsequent events show that it was the job of the other Constitutional legs of the stool to rectify second-class citizenship...the president is not king. Although you could find many who wanted him to be. He and Washington, both generals, could have become kings (Washington literally, Ike figuratively) and both refused. AND both dedicated their Farewell Speeches to warning the people. Washington warned against political parties and Ike warned against The Deep State. AND GUESS WHAT OUR TWO PROBLEMS ARE? Cue Twilight Zone music, just sayin' ;-) xoxo

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fascinating family the Eisenhowers were! Thanks for being an excellent tour guide! Chrisx