Wednesday, July 3, 2019

We're all heading to Greece


Today I'm joining Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is We're all/going.  What a coincidence, since today we are going to visit Mia in Greece.  Unfortunately it will only be on paper,

but the thought is there. So are some of the amazing postage stamps that came on several of the amazing packages Mia has sent me.

Let's travel to Lindos which is a medieval village and archeological site on the island of Rhodes.   The pristine white houses on the hillside remind me of sugar cubes that lead to the aquamarine waters.  At the top of the hill surrounded by Cyprus trees is the Acropolis, which may be why tourists flock there.

Do an internet search of Katakolon, and you will find your typical Greek island tourist trap.  Cafes will lace the waterfront, while shops will likely sell T-shirts, hats, and jewelry. But that's not why tourists make this town a destination. They flock here because Katakolon serves as the gateway to Ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games.

Stroll the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ancient Olympia, and you walk in the footsteps of early Greek and Roman athletes.  Stand alongside the massive columns and if you have a good imagination, you can envision the once-magnificent temples.  To think that Alexander the Great, Nero, Plato, and Aristotle were among those who watched those games would make anyone traveling to Greece want to visit Katakolon.  If you are into archeology, you won't want to miss these ruins.

Everyone wants to travel to Santorini with its celebrated light, multi-colored cliffs, pristine and recognizable white washed houses, and picture-perfect sunsets.  No wonder it is the island immortalized by poets and painters.

While there, send a gift by mail back to your country.



Anywhere you travel on the Greek Isles, you will find archeological remnants.  Greece claims it includes 6,000 islands and islets scattered in the Aegean and Ionian Seas, of which only 227 islands are inhabited. I've learned this is a truly unique phenomenon for the European continent.


We're all going.  I hope you will, too.

For this page, I began with 110 lb card stock that I spritzed with my handmade shimmering mists.  Again, this page buckled badly once the mists dried.  It buckled even worse as I began adding, using glue stick, images that I found in four travel brochures.  I colored a sheet of paper turquoise to match the sea and sky around these Greek Islands.  I computer generated the names of the cities and glued them to the turquoise paper.  I then glued those to the page under the appropriate images.  Finally, I added the stamps Mia included on several of her packages.

Bleubeard and I are grateful beyond belief you chose to join us today.   We also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by We're all/going, too.

Today is also double kibble day.  If you click on the Free Kibble icon on my right sidebar, whether your answer is correct or not, you have just donated 20 pieces of kibble to dogs.  The same applies to cats, too.  You don't even have to answer anything to donate much needed scopes of cat litter.   Even if you aren't a pet owner, I hope you visit them because this is a very worthy cause.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page. Greece is indeed a beautiful place, especially with all the wonderful culturally interesting sites to visit. Enjoy your day! Valerie

Mia said...

Goodmorning, Elizabeth. I am waiting for all of you in Greece!!!
And I am offering greek coffee too!!!
What a gorgeous page you made!!! I am really thankful for that.
The 4th photo is from the island of Amorgos.
If you wish, have a google search for Delfi too. It is the most stunning archaeological place in Greece, the "center of the world" according ancient greeks.
Have a BEAUTIFUL day, my dear friend. Hugs and kisses!!!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful art journal page Elizabeth. Thank you for including historical information, too. Greece looks like a lovely place to visit.

craftytrog said...

Those whitewashed buildings are so beautiful against that azure sky! Love Greece. Gorgeous page Elizabeth. X

My name is Erika. said...

Wouldn’t that be a fantastic place to go? Too bad it is just paper smile. But what a gorgeous page with some nice photos. I am going home today. At the airport waiting for one of 2 flights. But should be home by mid afternoon. I Hope. Stay cool. Hugs Erika

Neet said...

Another journey with your and Bleubeard - I cannot think of two more delightful companions to have on my trip. Thank you for inviting me.
I love the way you described the houses as sugar lumps - so true - and such beautiful pictures to transport me to the delightful country of wonderful architecture, houses, blue sea and skies ... I could go on and on, I love Greece.
Hugs to you all, Neet xxx

Sami said...

I've visited a couple of Greek isles a long time ago.
Beautiful page Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

A virtual trip to Greece beats no trip to Greece ;) Thank you for the tour :)

Jeanie said...

All that blue! I think I might like Greece very much. Really interesting series of place-posts1

da tabbies o trout towne said...

it WOULD be nice to visit greece; tho at this stage I'd just like to get out of the city !!! free kibble is a great cause; I have the site bookmarked ☺☺♥♥ have a happy and safe 4th ♥♥☺☺

kathyinozarks said...

Great page!

froebelsternchen said...

I love Greece , specially the islands and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your wonderful page for Chris' topic! Amazing! Have a great Thursday dear Elizabeth! Big hugs, Susi

sirkkis said...

Beautiful collages and lovely words. I have visited these places. Thanks for sweet memories 🤩 Happy weekend ❤️

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am delighted that you chose Greece to visit for my theme at AJJ! This is a great reminder of what it was like all those years ago (at least 45years ) when I visited Marathon near Athens! Hugs, Chrisx