Friday, September 21, 2018

Friday Smiles 290: a trip to the art museum, part 2


Annie our host at Friday Smiles has agreed to link me each week until I can get Mr. Linky working for me again.  Thank you Annie.  I appreciate you for taking time to do this.

Here are my funnies this week:


Did you hear about the TV weatherman who, despite his training and sparkling credentials, ran into a terrible unlucky streak?
He became something of a local joke. The town’s newspaper began keeping a record of his predictions. A year later, the paper reported that he’d been wrong almost three hundred times in a single year.
Unable to handle the pressure, the station manager fired him.
So the meteorologist moved far away and applied for another job as a TV weathermen. When he got to the question on the application about why he had left his last job, he wrote, “The climate didn’t agree with me.”


Fred was applying for a job as a flagman/switch operator on the railroad. The chief engineer was conducting the interview.
“What would you do if the Northern Express was heading north on Track 1 and the Southern Central was heading south on Track 1?”
Fred quickly answered, “Well, I’d call my brother.”
The chief engineer just sat there for a second. “Why would you call your brother?”
“He’s never seen a train wreck before.”



A new Army recruit was on the rifle range. He fired 50 shots and completely missed the target with every shot!
His Drill Instructor called him to attention and got in his face. “What’s the matter with you?” shouted the DI. “Why can’t you hit the target? What were you in civilian life?”
“I was a telephone repair man,” replied the recruit, “and I don’t know why I can’t hit the target. Let me see…”
The man checked his rifle, checked his rifle again, and then checked his rifle a third time. He then put his finger in front of the muzzle, pulled the trigger and blew the end of his finger off!
“Well,” the phone man said, writhing in pain, “the bullets are leaving this end here fine. The trouble must be on the other end!”

Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this July   This is an eclectic mix, and I hope you will find a few or at least one painting you like.  I learned a lot of what I like and even surprised myself on some of my choices.


I took this second shot because I was enamored with the frame on the left.


If you have ever been to my blog, you KNOW why I love this assemblage.

The rust, the recycling aspect, and of course, the kinetics all spoke to me.

The description is here.  I think it's the only placard I photographed.

Still love it!

This may be WAM's most famous and most loved painting.   It is a Mary Cassatt, one of only three famous female impressionists in the world.  She often painted the bonds between mother and child, so this was a good pick for the museum when they purchased it.  Although she was an American, she moved to France several times, where she created her most famous works.





This might have made a T Tuesday painting if only I had kept better notes on the artist.

For some reason, this painting and the next one remind me of Nighthawks by Edward Hopper.  And no wonder.  They are both by Edward Hopper.

I adore both these paintings by Hopper, even though someone walked into my photo as I was taking it.


I don't like this one at all!  That's why art is SO subjective.


I fell in love with this one and the next one, too.

They reminded me of my drafting computer program I used as an undergrad.









I took a closer look at this one.  I had not seen the man fishing when I first looked at it.


The oldest teen took very good notes, but it's been so long since we went to the museum and they are now back in CA with their notes and their aunt, so there's no way I remembered everything we discussed or who specific artists are.  And this is just the first room, too! 

Thanks for joining the children and me today and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  I am sure know for a fact she will welcome you, too.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

There are a lot of very different styles on show - which is good. Like you, I saw some I liked and some not. Not so fond of the abstract, but the trees are always a winner! Have a good weekend.

Annie said...

So many wonderful pictures but I have to say my favourite by far was the mother and child one. It overflowed with compassion ....I love it.
Annie x

Nasreen said...

Such amazing photos. Loved them all.

RO said...

You did such a great job capturing all the different styles,and a few have my mouth opened in wonder, like some of the abstract art, and the bed. I also love how a lot of the art paintings are so precise. Learning more and more here! Hugs...RO

kaybee said...

The jokes made me smile and I enjoyed all the artwork. Too many to chose a favourite, but I do like some of those abstract ones. And I too love a bit of rust!

My name is Erika. said...

It's so interesting to see such a variety at one time. It also must have been interesting to get the kids perspectives on the art. I know what I liked among the paintings. I could tell the Edward Hopper and Mary Cassatt so I am proud of myself for being to pick them out. I'm learning. :) Thanks for sharing these with us. Its fun to have a museum trip from the comfort of the couch. Hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, that is an amazing museum. The art work is brilliant, really loved the abstract stuff and of course your jokes are even better! Have a great weekend and thanks for the lovely comment over at mine. Big hugs, Angela xXx

Valerie-Jael said...

You saw some great art in the museum. Have a nice day, Valerie

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What lovely paintings! What a great experience at the museum. I am a great fan of Mary Cassatt's work and Edward Hopper's, but I liked so many of these! Thanks for the beautiful share.

mamapez5 said...

Well Elizabeth, I don't pretend to be an art critic, but there were some paintings I loved and some I didn't and a few that were OK but I wouldn't bother to hang them on my walls. but what a lovely cross section you showed us. And a lovely opportunity for the young ones to see some fine art. Kate x

Mia said...

Beautiful pieces of art, Elizabeth. I LOVE Mary Cassatt's paintings and this one you posted is PERFECT!!!!!!! Have a great weekend, my friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

Inspiration for the day. Thank you.

Divers and Sundry said...

My favorite is that fall scene at the very top of your post. Such a variety for them all to be showcased in one room. It's hard to keep track of what we see in museums, so I usually just make notes of works that particularly strike me.

froebelsternchen said...

Simply wonderful dar Elizabeth! The turtle is my favourite! Thanks for the smiles!
Happy start of the weekend !
Hugs, Susi

Jeanie said...

I have that Cassat in a greeting card -- it's one of my favorites of hers (and she is a favorite, too.) Wonderful art here and such diversity. I love the Hopper. You can't beat Hopper for a distinct style. Those frames are beautiful, too.

Thanks for coming over to the blog and visiting! Always good to see you there and always appreciating your words!

Meggymay said...

This is a great selection of art and I can see how you were drawn to the sculpture. The paintings are so different in style, it really would be hard to pick out a favourite.
Thank you for the smiles today.
Yvonne xx

Jackie PN said...

Ahhh Elizabeth! thank you for another cultural and educational visit! I do love to see what others museums hold. And I ma always so please to see many beautiful and diverse artworks.
I sure hope the children had a lovely visit and glad to here they safely returned to their aunt.
sending hugs

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a great collection! Some I am not so keen on but I really love the second to last one! That storm really is blowing in! Loved your funnies!! Chrisx