Thursday, August 2, 2018

Second on the 2nd: a post about blessing


Some of you may have noticed I am hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  My theme is Count your blessings.  I gave examples through collage of lots of ways I am blessed.  Here is another way.  This post is from June, 2014 and was for a Craft Barn Quotes and Lyrics challenge I participated in that year.   Each fortnight we were given two words and we could find either a quote or lyrics for one or both words.  The following is copied verbatim from that post.

For this fortnight, the Craft Barn's Quotes and Lyrics challenge prompts were Path and Horizon.

Unlike prompts from the 12th challenge, this time there were a gazillion quotes I could choose from.  I chose the word path

in the form of an Irish Blessing.  The number 13 signifies the 13th challenge, which also marks the half way point for the year.  As always, I started with a file folder cut in half.  In this detail shot, you can see I've also added two birds and one flower, all from punches.

For the background, I started with a Viva paper towel (I believe they are called kitchen towels across the pond) that was part of a mop up from a previous challenge entry, where I used printer ink to dye fabric.

Last year, in a state of weakness (and a really good cents off coupon), I bought these Martha Stewart flowers, my other embellishments.

I hope this has put you on a happy path, as I fulfill this latest Craft Barn entry.

_______________________________________________


Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.







But wait!  Since I'm hosting Art Journal Journey this month, I have a brand new blessing to share with you.

It's also an Irish blessing.

When I saw the word "door" in the blessing, I knew what I had to make.  The blessing reads:
May joy and peace surround you,
Contentment latch your door,
And happiness be with you now,
And bless you evermore.

The house was sewn together using paint chip samples.   I don't like to measure, but for this house, I measured everything.

I considered making the house a solid color, then decided on different colors to denote the different stories/levels.

I wanted to use some TH paper dolls, but needed them shorter than the door.  I found the perfect mother and child in the right size.

I colored the trees using my water soluble crayons.  I remembered that the darker tree needed to go in front of the lighter tree which denoted depth.

Surprisingly, these two looked happy, something many of the dolls don't.


Materials for this page began with my handmade shimmering mists splashed on the white substrate.  I created the house using three types of paint chip samples cut to size and sewn together using variegated thread.  The house was then attached to the background using pop dots.  As noted, the trees were cut and painted using water soluble crayons. Finally, the paper dolls were added.

Bleubeard and I want to thank you for joining Second on the 2nd and also joining us at Art Journal Journey where this month we are counting our blessings.


24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pages are lovely, but I especially like the happy flowers and quote in the first one. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

The second look page is precious - I so adore this amazing background and the artsy arranged flowers ! A wonderful quote ! And the new page is fabulous in my eyes - I so love how you have built ( sewn) your house ! Looks gorgeous with the mother and child - great you found the exact sized people for the house! A fantastic second entry for your wonderful theme and a stupendous second look for Second on the 2nd!
Have a wonderful day my friend!
Hugs, Susi

aussie aNNie said...

Both are just gorgeous.x

kathyinozarks said...

I love this beautiful post with all the colors and quotes-I especially Love the first couple with backgrounds and flowers-so pretty Glad you reposted as I had not seen these before
Happy second on the 2nd

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There is always a smile to be brought with an Irish blessing, very well used. Love the coloured background of the first and I have to agree the TH paper dolls on the 2nd do look surprisingly happy.
Super pages Elizabeth, Happy 2nd on the 2nd.
Hugs Tracey xx

Lisca said...

Oh I love both your blessing pages, but the one with the flowers is very beautiful.
I think we should all count our blessings, whatever circumstances we are in and, like the dolls, smile even when things are not going well. (The dolls look like they are from the Depression period.)

My hubby used to lead a ten piece folk bad that played Irish music (and some Scottish). They would always finish with a sung Irish blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Wishing you many blessings today,
Lisca

Marfi-topia said...

this whole post is lovely!! i don't know what I love more! that house is awesome though:)

Meggymay said...

I absolutely love the Irish blessings you used on the revisit and the new journal page. It is a lovely post to read today.
The house looks fantastic and you chose a sweet paper doll couple , a very heartwarming scene.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

A blessing is wonderful blog friends and their awesome creativity.

Ram Gupta said...

Really nice information thanks for sharing very useful. For more visit steel fiber manufactures in india.

Sandra Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Cox said...

I loved these, and the blessings, especially the flower pot. Just beautiful.

My name is Erika. said...

Irish blessings are perfect for your theme. I love these. Both of them! Happy August 2. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

You really did a great job with these, and reminds me that they would love to have you on that new craft show "Making it" with Amy Poehler. The things you can do is pretty amazing! Hugs...RO

Cindy McMath said...

I’m trying to leave a comment on the house page and it keeps sending me here, so I’ll talk about both. I love the house and I think you made the right decision with different colours for different stories. A house with pinache! your flower pages are lovely as well - you are really having fun with this new theme and I look forward to seeing more as the month progresses!

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't remember that post at all, but it's definitely a happy-making piece :) as is your house. This is a cheerful art day :)

Barbara said...

Very peaceful sentiments, and lovely presentations!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Two lovely pages and some lovely thoughts, Elizabeth. I love Irish blessings. They're so lyrical.

I hadn't noticed that you're hosting AJJ this month with "count your blessings." So thanks for mentioning that.

Hugs, Eileen

P.S. My mop-up sheets NEVER look that good. Yours is beautiful!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

very nice pieces Elizabeth though the first ROCKS..very bright and cheerful :) ♥♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh! I don't know where to start! I remember your Craft Barn entries - they always looked so great! Love those flowers! I love your Irish blessing too which you have done so well - tje mother and child by the door are perfect! Hugs,Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

It is wonderful to have all those blessings to share! There are so many Irish blessings quotes. I have a couple of them in stamp form. I joined your Second on the 2nd. It always looks like fun! Hope I did it right. :)

Rita said...

Both are really nice but I just love the first one with the flowers! :)

Jeanie said...

Your flowers make me very happy!

I love the Irish blessing and my favorite is the image of the mom and boy, holding onto hands.

Happy Thursday!

Lenie said...

You made two wonderful pages Elizabeth. I love the colours from the flower page the most, but the other page with mother and son is lovely too! Have a nice weekend, Lenie