Monday, October 2, 2017

Second on the 2nd: old 7 Continent art


My friend Erika asked me recently if my 7 Continent art had changed over the years, and I got to thinking about it.  I realized I didn't need to go back very far, only to 2014, to show both a yes and no answer to Erika's question.

For my second look, I'm sharing two different posts, both from 2014, and how I treated my 7 Continents altered book back then.  Those of you who have read my blog for years, will more than likely remember these two posts.

The first one shows I'm more or less taking a page out of traditional scrapbooking with this one from November, 2014:

Today we're taking another trip to Buenos Aires in my 7 Continents altered book (AB).  Other spreads featuring Buenos Aires can be found here and here.  An altered book post on Argentina's Iguassu Falls can be seen here.

This is the front side of a two-sided Buenos Aires spread.

I must have had a brain freeze when printing out the city.  After all, I am an Aries!


I felt so fortunate when I found two different photos of this street in two different travel magazines.  I also found this Buenos Aires entry in an encyclopedia.


For side two, these images came from two different books, one of which was a geography book, the other an encyclopedia.


This photo came from the encyclopedia that was copyrighted 1930, and I was so happy when I found it in my stash.


Some may remember I showed this Plaza before, but I used modern pictures from a travel magazine. This photo and the background information came from a geography book copyrighted 1971.


For my second spread, I'll let you decide if the art in my 7 continents AB has changed or if I have been influenced by the world around me. (Ed note: some photos have been eliminated for brevity.  All the words are the same) This is from January, 2014:


I believe I'm on a roll with my 7 Continent altered book.

Back sometime around September or October, I was out with my friend Sally when we stumbled into this construction zone.  A new bypass is being built in our area,

and my thoughts quickly went to my 7 Continents altered book.  I was so glad I had my good camera with me at the time.  I kept snapping away, thinking I might use some of the better photos in a spread that reminded me of a TV show I had seen on Hulu (Ed: before they put up their pay wall) that, at the time, was being aired on the FX network, which is aptly called

"The Bridge."  In case you aren't familiar with the show, the bridge, which is short for Bridge of the Americas, is the scene of the first grisly murder of two women, placed together to look like one.  One half is from one side of the bridge, the other half is from the other side of the bridge.  (Ed note: the series was actually based on a Danish-Swedish series called Broen/Bron.  The exact same concept was picked up later by PBS, when a French/British crew shot the series in the English/French Tunnel that meets halfway between the two countries.)

Appropriately, the center of the bridge is the dividing line between El Paso, Texas (TX) and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.  I could not believe my fortune when I was sifting through some postcards and found these.  This spread will represent part of my North America section.

You can even see the bridge in the background, which actually contains two bridges with six lanes per side, and the only toll free bridge joining these two cities.

I should have taken a close up of the lady I cut and glued to the tag I found in my stash that reminded me of the Texas star.  Other symbolism relates to the crosses that are at the border on the Juarez side.  They signify the young women who are missing from that area.  The gist of the show is that two detectives, one from El Paso and one from Juarez, must work together to find a serial killer who kills victims on both sides of the border.

I never thought I would be inspired to make these types of spreads in my 7 Continents AB.  But I have found this seems more meaningful to me than trying to focus on the absolute beauty and purity of a country or continent, as I did with my tip-ins and first spreads I made before the book fell apart.
____________________________________________________________________

I hope this answers your question, Erika.  Although my designs haven't changed much, sometimes my way of thinking has.

Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.  And since the 2nd coincides with T Stands For Tuesday this month, if you decide your second look is a T post, please link both places.  T will be served at its regular time, as usual, later today.




14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

It's always interesting to look back and see what has changed in our art and thinking over the years. Thanks for this look into your 7 continents book and some grisly murder details....Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Buenos Aires must really be a MEGA City! Great to see your pages from way back!
Your style was and is unique and here I specially love the way you brought the fotos and background together with just a few simple alterations - very clever made!
Sorry my friend that I am not linking a Second on the 2nd this month again. I had visitors the whole weekend and had much to do - cooking, baking, and so on...
And our boy dog had a little surgery recently ( nothing very dramatic - a fat furuncle and two big warts got removed) but I have to drive him to the Vet three times a week for bandage changings.
In short:I am busy.....
Hope you don't mind!
oxo
Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

Fascinating to read your thought process. When the project is more personal, there is so much more depth to what is going on.

Darla said...

Very interesting. Your book must be huge by now. I posted a combo with Tea Tuesday because I won't be around tomorrow.

My name is Erika. said...

I have really enjoyed this post. It shows how you have grown because changing our way of thinking does change us. I don't remember the bridge post, and I am very glad to see it. It's a fascinating connection. I also love the post about Buenos Aires too. I didn't know that was the widest street in the world. I think the second post definitely has more meaning because of the bridge connection. That was cool you saw that construction and made the connection. Funny how one thing can lead to another in our minds. Thanks for this post. It was a very good one and did answer my question completely. Happy second of October. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

I really enjoy the creativity of your art tied in with some neat trivia. As you know, I'm a trivia nut, and had no clue that Buenos Aires was home to the widest street in the world. And to pull such different versions from various books gives a great feel to what the country is like. I like it a lot! Hugs...RO

Barbara said...

I’m constantly suffering from brain freeze and can look and look at something and never spot an error/mistake! My husband, on the other hand, spots them from one hundred paces – especially if I made them!
I enjoyed this look into your 7 continents book, the process you use and your thought processes. It’s really creative and makes me want to try my hand at something similar. Time, however, might be a problem. I’m retired now but busier than I’ve ever been!
Have a happy week.

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth. I am just back from holiday, so it was nice to come here and have another little trip without having to pack or travel. I've said before that I hated geography at school, but I love your pictures and descriptions, especially all the pictures with your own comments on them. I like the photos of the road, especially from the comfort of my own chair.

sheila 77 said...

Hello again, Elizabeth. How nice to see you popping in to Orange E. just after I had posted, and I've missed you too. To answer your question about Douglas - he doesn't go on holidays, he is very much a home-person, but he does help me to choose which socks to pack as he knows about these things, haha!.
love
Sheila

Kate Yetter said...

Your 7 continent book looks amazing...and fun! I love your perspective about it being a way to appreciate the beauty. This sounds like something that I would enjoy doing in the future. I love your use of old pictures, maps and text. Looks like a book I would love to flip when you are done. ;)
Kate

Sandra Cox said...

Different yet similar. Love them both:)
Have a great day.
Hugs,

Meggymay said...

I love seeing your continents book, there is always so much information as well as lovely pictures and images to make the pages come alive, with a ' wish you were here' factor, to see the countries and towns for real.
I couldn't say I had any preference in the styles you use. They look good to me.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Your continents book is loads of fun. I especially love the Buenos Aires pages.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I can only imagine how fat your 7 Continents book must be by now! Great 2nd look! Hugs,Chrisx