Sunday, December 27, 2015

The collage that took many weeks to create

I want to update everyone on Journal 52's status and why I am no longer participating.  When I clicked on the link, I got a message that
This domain was recently registered at Namecheap. Please check back later!
Apparently it is available for purchase.  So Journal 52, although promised to last through the end of the year, is NO MORE.  I didn't quit J52, but it quit me!  Thankfully, I can say goodbye gracefully and be happy this challenge is now over for me.

Let's turn our attention to the collage that took forever to make.

Actually, this was not Day 1, but it was the first day I started documenting the process in detail.  Up until this time, I had mixed paint with pearl glaze.  Adding the paint and glaze to the collaged papers took a great deal of drying time, because it is not wise to use a heat gun if you don't want bubbles.

Next, I decided to add some reinkers to the mix.  I had no idea how the ink and paint would interact, but since they were both water based, I thought I would take a chance.

Have I mentioned I have a LOT of reinkers that I sort by type: dye, pigment, solvent, and distress?

Holy cow.  No wonder these were so cheap!  They were reinkers, all right, but they were meant to roll directly onto the ink pads, which I don't have.  I'll have to figure out a way to use them in fabric art, but they won't work with this pearl glaze I'm trying to color.

So there I was with ink stains on my fingers and fingernails, trying to get a decent color from this ink and glaze.

OK, this is horrible.  Once it dried, I realized I can't paint, not even what are supposed to be straight lines.

A close up shows an even greater mess.

So I did the next best thing and I painted over the entire piece with pearl glaze.  At least you can see the glaze

which is pearlescent.  Note how the collaged papers I glued to the book cover have started to buckle, too.

Next, I tried more pearl glaze, this time with more dye inks.  However, I didn't try to put it on so thick in places, but went for a more abstract approach.

Next I added a bit of silver glaze to the pearl glaze and attempted to repair the damage I had previously caused.  I also brought out some orange dye reinker and attempted to brighten the pearl glaze in places.

I can't find Day 4 or Day 7, except the detail , which seems to have covered the texture I created early on.  I confess I was tired of trying to make this look beautiful, so I decided a different abstract was in order.

This is the completed scan, but because the pods are so tall, it was difficult to get a good image.

I first tried scanning it so the pods faced against the glass, then with the book cover facing against the glass. Neither of these are true representations of the finished piece.  Once I added the pods, I really liked what I had.

These final shots were taken under my OTT full spectrum light.

You would really have to see this in person to check the subtle colors and shimmer it puts off.

Depending on the light source and position, you get a different visual every time you look at it.

I sincerely hope you like it because I spent a lot of time trying to get it right.  After about Day 5 or so, I realized it was never going to look like I pictured it in my head, so I let it design itself.  It has now arrived at my dear friend Patty's home. 

Patty commented on the pods, but I have no idea what they are.  I know I picked them up in the strip of grass between the two driveways, so they have to have come from someplace close by.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your continued support of my sometimes questionable artistic endeavors as well as your lovely comments. 

14 thoughtful remarks:

BJ said...

I've been getting email notifications still for journal 52, which was your last week?, mine go up to week 50, (email dated 11th dec) just add a dinosaur, I can send you details of any you might have missed but it looks like they have stopped for me too. Will check it all out on the main PC later really must get ready for church now!

Anonymous said...

The Ott lights sure do make a difference, but it doesn't seem to matter what light you use to get those glazes to show up in photos. They just never come out quite how you like them. Good for you to keep at this piece and struggle through the gosh I hate it phase. The pods make it quite striking. Inventive work my friend. Also amazing you did almost every week until it was no longer. xox

~*~Patty S said...

Lucky me to have the actual piece you labored to create Elizabeth!
The pods look alot like one of my favorite trees the Redbud (Cercis canadensis).
Great use of one of your book covers with the luscious shimmery layers of color.
I know it cost a lot extra to mail because it is rigid (I have a fine array of postage stamps now too).
Thank you very much for creating such a special piece for me.
You are always so thoughtful and generous!
Kind of an abrupt change in that Journal 52 challenge...seems a bit odd...maybe they are having technical difficulties?
Thanks again my friend ♥
oxo

Nancy said...

Ott-lites are the best, aren't they? Clever to use those pods. They are really interesting. I like how you met the challenge of the supplies- by experimenting. Somehow I find it hard to remember how things will interact, so experimentation is probably the best route to take. Thanks for the reminder.

Divers and Sundry said...

I think Patty is right that the pods are from a Redbud tree. I grew up with them in our back yard. They have beautiful leaves and flowers and the pods are interesting.

Krisha said...

A very interesting tale of experimenting, but I like the end results. Sometimes art has a mind of it's own....LOL

Strange about J52 to abruptly stop. But I admire your determination to finish and you sigh of relief that it has come to an end. I just lost focus a long time back.

froebelsternchen said...

IT LOOKS SUPER! That's art and adventure in one --- isn't this exciting?!
I love that you are so patient with your projects and this patience has been rewarded - a wonderful collage !
I have to admit that I am quite pleased that there is no need for you to do J52 things in the future.. so I can be sure that you are often with us at Art Journal Journey ... what pleases me much more-LOL!
oxo
Susi

peggy gatto said...

I like the layers and the colors!!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your project, and that you have so much patience and just keep going til it is finished. The shiny pearl paint and the subtle colours with the pods make it very beautiful. Sorry that journal 52 deserted you, strange that nobody said anything. Have a great afternoon, it's getting on for bed time here. Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your project, and that you have so much patience and just keep going til it is finished. The shiny pearl paint and the subtle colours with the pods make it very beautiful. Sorry that journal 52 deserted you, strange that nobody said anything. Have a great afternoon, it's getting on for bed time here. Hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

This is a fantastic page, love the way you used the pods.
I used to do J52 but always seemed to be on a catch up. There seems to be a lot of folk trying to find out what happened, perhaps we will never find out.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

What a sweet gift for Patty! Don't you just hate it when you can't get a good photo no matter if you stand of your head or whatever!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Reading through your process I thought of The Bricklayer's Lament by Gerard Hoffnung - I don't know whether you will have heard of it though! I'm so glad everything turned out so brilliantly in the end! I love the pods and the pearly glaze! Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

What a fabulous piece. I love how the pods look on your beautiful background! Hugs!