Friday, July 18, 2014

Journal 52, Week 29: Fashion

For Week 29 at Journal 52, Chelle's prompt was Fashion.

Now anyone who knows me, knows I used to be a fashionista, where I had so many clothes, I could claim I could go an entire year and not wear the same outfit twice.   And it was true, too.  I had two big walk in closets filled with clothes, all sorted by color (and on their proper plastic colored hanger, too, I might add).  Blouses, jackets, and pants were in one closet, while dresses and coats hung in the other.  I had drawers and drawers of pull over tops (stretchy tank, mostly), and an equal number of shorts. That was then, not so now.

I quit smoking when I moved to Wichita, and gained 60 lbs.  For someone who originally weighed 95 lbs, I was a tub.  I am sure I was considered obese!  Especially, since I'm a mere 4'11" tall.  But it was hard to take off, and I still am not down to where I would like to be at 110.  I've given up on ever being (seeing) 95 lbs again.

So today I have very few clothes, and the ones I have, I wear all the time.  Sweats or sweaters and pants in the winter (or long heavy gowns when I'm not going out) and mostly shorts and tank tops (NOT stretchy) and sleeveless dresses in the summer.

Having said all that, I hate this prompt.  But here's my interpretation of FASHION.

From the back, I have my Staz-on reinkers, with a few brushes, then my 91% alcohol.   To the right of the alcohol are two cups for mixing,  then one of my file folders cut in half, along with a mask and stencil of a mannikin my friend Annette, aka Voodoo Vixen sent me.

Why I chose midnight blue is beyond me, because I originally had planned to go with yellow and green.

But the deed was done, so there was no turning back now.

I tried to compensate for the color in PS, but the colors are really off, so I left this one as it was, hoping you could tell the true color, which I can't seem to get.

Ah! Better color in this one, as I show the red I chose.

Unfortunately, my repositionable glue didn't hold too well.

Again, I had NOT planned to use fabric, but what can I say?  I was mopping up my brush and got this.

I tore the fabric to size (I apologize for this horrible photo),

then sewed it on my machine, first using a running stitch, then a regular stitch once it was bunched up a bit.

I had another face left from another project, so added it and the fabric using E-6000.

While cleaning the brush on the fabric, I managed to get a few drops of pure alcohol on the substrate, which made the unwanted circle.  I used it to my advantage, showing which week this is.

A few final detail shots

show why I can't scan this one.

I admit this is one of my least favorite entries, but since I'm not on Facebook or Flickr, only my devout followers, readers, and friends will see it anyway.  And thanks for visiting, even though I'm no longer a fashionista.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Jo Murray said...

LOVE this piece. Struggles with weight become a part of life as you get older, and move less. You get a gold star for your efforts.

Halle said...

I think it turned out very well...obviously not your original vision but I like what you did. The skirt was a brilliant idea!

dawn said...

I agree with Halle, such a cute idea. Good for you going for it anyhow since it wasn't your favorite theme.

WOW, you must have loved clothes, 2 closets!! That is most girls dream come true.
I am not a fashion type either, few clothes worn over and over for years. I like old comfy clothes vs. new scratchy not washed 50x times clothes, lol.

Thanks for sharing!

Rita said...

I did not know you were a fashionista! Fashion has never interested me. But pens, books, art and craft supplies... ;)

Darla said...

I enjoyed looking at where you started with this and where you ended up. I really like the finished piece.

Darla

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm still smiling (in a sweet way) when I read the opening paragraphs of your post and got to the last line...I laughed out loud!

I have way too many clothes right now that I am determined to pair down to just what I do or would wear. But you could never call me a fashionista--my DD, yes, me? Definitely Not!

I really like how you rose to this challenge anyway and enjoyed seeing the finished piece. She somehow reminds me of a ballerina.

~*~Patty S said...

For it not being what you planned I really like the results and only you could create such a special mop up fabric!
The alcohol circle is a good look too.
I blame "gravity" and getting older for extra pounds and shifting ;-)
no matter how much clothes I have I always end up in a few favorite seasonal outfits and they must be comfy or all bets are off!
Happy Weekend dear E ~♥~
oxo

Nan G said...

I hear ya Elizabeth! Comfy sweaters and shorts for me too now a days. I used to have to wear suits to work so I have a brooch/pin for everyday of the year and multiples for the holidays! Last count over 500! :0 I like your unplanned piece. The fabric is really cool and adding the head...well...it's a fab page! Hugs from all us Girls

Cindy McMath said...

Elizabeth, I love this! I think it turned out great, and I enjoyed seening the evolution of the piece as always. And I enjoyed your preamable too - I learned a lot more about you!

Electra said...

I think this is Wonderful!!

TwinkleToes2day said...

What a wonderful piece Elizabeth. I am always in awe of your end results, no matter what they were first intended to be. Its the way you work, and although, in my opinion, your pieces are quite often 'simple' looking, many have gone through several processes and end up with a lot of depth and character and invariably have a story. I thoroughly enjoy reading your process tales. Thank you for sharing.
I would never be considered a fashionista by even the most wondrous of imaginations. I have been called 'colourful' and 'adventurous' but never chic, or glam, lol. I cannot match colours and will probably be the local bat(ty) lady one day, lol.
Finally, thank you so much for your recent comment on my final SoC/craft barn piece. I love to see your name pop up in my email :o))

denthe said...

well, she looks to be at ease in her skirt, and that's the main thing: who cares about fashion? I love how the fabric picked up the colours.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I absolutely adore this and your take on fashion! The colours are so beautiful and your idea is sheer genius!!! Chrisxx

Julia Dunnit said...

Well now I would never ever have thought of you as having that many clothes..I guess I never really thought about you and clothes at all though! When you're working, a big wardrobe is useful, but nowadays, casuals seem good for most things huh!
I like the process and how the tailors dummy turned out, I think the fabric was a really happy accident!.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great work on this prompt - mine is still on my to-do-list.