Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Tuesday in review

I have made no art this week, having been gone most of it. However, I did have a chance to visit my Household Hazardous Waste Swap and Shop on Tuesday before my friend Sally and I went to lunch. I also managed to pick up two half filled tubes of caulk, so I can make at least one more dress.


Talk about a seedy side of town. The south east side of Wichita, KS is known for its frequent prostitution busts. I asked my friend Sally why that was, and she explained there were a lot of cheap motels in that area that drew hourly business. I could see it must be true, because I saw two motels just looking around the parking lot of Mike's Steak House.


Sally didn't tell me where we were going, so I had to sit through another menu of mostly meat.


Of course, I could have gotten a baked potato like Sally did, but I'm such a glutton for french fries, since I only get them when I know there is little on the menu for me to order. I ended up getting baked fish, which in all the photos I took, I failed to get a photo of. I also had soup, while Sally had chopped cardboard head lettuce salad, and I had a macaroni salad (offered as a veggie) and fries while she had liver and onions, green beans, and the aforementioned baked potato. The food was surprisingly decent, the fish fresh, and Sally said her liver was tender. We also had rolls, but I didn't eat one since they didn't serve butter and I simply can't eat something called "50% palm kernel oil." Nothing fancy and the atmosphere seemed mostly local with no decorations, but it was fun seeing a part of town I would never visit otherwise.


So what is this honey bear doing in the picture, you ask. I have started a technique that I will be showing on Monday.

Sadly, I forgot my memory card when I went to Kansas City and I don't have a USB cord for the camera. So there will be no photos of my trip, but my friend picked out her puppy, which will be shipped as soon as she (the puppy, not my friend) has all her required shots and has been weened.

7 thoughtful remarks:

Dianne said...

the food looks yum, even if it was in the 'seedy' part of town...sometimes the little mom & pop places are the best restaurants! can't wait to see what the honey bear will be up to...have a fantastic weekend!

Dianne said...

the food looks yum, even if it was in the 'seedy' part of town...sometimes the little mom & pop places are the best restaurants! can't wait to see what the honey bear will be up to...have a fantastic weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love it that you found caulk for swap, great. 50% palm kernal oil, wahoo I agree with you, give me the butter. It is funny that those places can sometimes have exceptionally good food. Good for you for walkong on the wild side. xox Corrine

Marlynn said...

I am LOL -- Love your post, love the seedy part of Wichita which is certainly not over the rainbow, at least in your world or mine, and what a fun lunch you and Sally had. Thanks for sharing! Hugs

Priti Lisa said...

Good golly...you could be here in Pennsyltukey. Nothing to order from the menu but starches (which I love) but no greenery. I guess they feed it to the livestock.
I am excited to see what you are planning with the hunny bear. ♥♥♥

voodoo vixen said...

I think we all need to take a walk on the wild side occasionally... even if its just to make us grateful for where we actually live!! ;) Your little honey bear looks cute so it will be fun to see what you do with him!!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Maybe you could have taken the palm oil margarine to the hazordous waste shop and swapped it for something more useful and better for your arteries! Teehee