Thursday, June 10, 2010

A quick shopping trip

It was Wednesday and Wendy and I had shopping on our minds.

Before we left, Wendy pointed out the water still standing in the street from the flash flooding we had earlier today. She also said I needed to clean the driveway, but can't do that till it dries out a bit.

Wendy sure has her priorities. She's ready to grab the ATM money. I wonder what the people reviewing the security tape will think.

Wendy wanted to stay in my purse during the trip to the thrift store. She didn't feel comfortable, fearing someone might kidnap her. So, I listened and let her stay where she felt safe. Besides, I assured her I was only looking for fabric and such for my latest projects and Anniversary swap. This made her feel better and she snuggled contentedly into my purse.

Wendy was very happy when we went grocery shopping. She loved the flowers that looked onto the organic veggies.

She didn't peek out at all when I bought some thread at the sewing store in our neighborhood. In fact, I didn't even take any pictures because I had 1/2 and 1/2 and other perishables sitting in the hot, hot car.

After putting my groceries away and having a quick talk with one of my favorite internet "buds," Wendy and I spread out the things I bought at the thrift store. I didn't find a single article of clothing I wanted to turn into fabric scraps, but I found all these sewing notions and game ephemera. I also found a low-temp hot glue gun (isn't that a great oxymoron?) for my upstairs craft room. I checked it out at the thrift store to make sure it worked.

An overhead shot shows the pink Dye. OK, pink is NOT my color, but it's dye and I can always mix it with another color to get something other than pink. Can you tell I'm really Jones-ing to get to some low immersion dyeing and shibori? And I felt so lucky when I found that nearly full spool of green thread. I can use it in my new bobbins to add that bit of splash to my books. Not sure you can see the girl scout pin in with the buttons, but that's why I bought the bag.

At the sewing store, I bought this thread.

Gotta LOVE this one. I hope it sews as great as it looks.

Switching gears, I thought I would show how I made my first ever rubber stamp. I know, it's stupid, since many people know how and make them better than me, but I only spent about thirty-five cents on each stamp.

Supplies from left:
Pencil, cheap erasers from Big Lots, scissors, my only decent paring knife. You should use carving tools.

First, I cut off the ends of the erasers. This might have been an error if the words I wanted were longer.

Now I was ready to

draw the letters on the piece, then

cut the excess out with my paring knife. I really MUST find my carving tools. It will be so much easier. As for the second stamp I cut? You will just have to wait to see it in use.

One tip: keep inking your stamp and checking until you have the carving the way you want it. I promise, if I can do it using a paring knife, YOU can do it using the proper materials. I DO NOT recommend using a paring knife unless you have arthritis like I do and have a problem with grip.

By using a cheap eraser, you can make a mistake and not feel like you wasted good money by purchasing the more expensive carving erasers. Also, if you make a mistake, you can turn the eraser over and use the other side. Don't ask me how I know this, please. These would be great for a scrapbook or altered book class or workshop. They would make a cheap alternative to commercial rubber stamps and would work up quickly with minimal expense.

Today's blog is another WOYWW (What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday) participant. I learned three more also visited everyone last week, so I don't want to show any favoritism. It's really great when you don't have to look too far for a super blog, either. Angie's really fell in my lap (or my workdesk, if you will). And I'm so glad it did. Her blog, called Shozzy's Place, is filled with lovely scenes of life and scenery from across the pond, as well as her work desk each Wednesday. Angie lives in Scotland, so if you want to see some cool art and some awesome photos of where she lives, you must check out her blog. If you're a cat lover, you will be especially happy. She has several (I think I've counted five already) that often grace her blog pages. And if you are into Zentangles, you are really in for a treat. She has example after example of lovely Zentangles. Which means there's plenty of inspiration for everyone.

Have a great Thursday everyone and explore your inner child today.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Healing Woman said...

Elizabeth,

I'm going to bookmark that great tutorial on making a stamp but to be honest, I don't think I'll be attempting it too soon. You did, however, make it look a lot easier than I expected it to be.

Tammy Freiborg said...

A helpful hint: draw/write in pencil on paper really dark, then press image onto eraser - this way you don't have to write backwards.

Caterina Giglio said...

i love carving stamps and I usually use a black felt tip pen to impress the image on the eraser or carving medium and it works out really well!

thekathrynwheel said...

Thanks for the tutorial on stamp carving. It's on my list of things I must try one day!

~*~Patty said...

fun shopping trip and good finds too!
carving stamps can be addictive ... yours turned out great E! I realize I use the "addictive" word alot when it comes to creating ... yup ... guess I'm hooked ;)
oxo

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Hi Elizabeth, when I saw the thread on my blog, I wondered if you'd take Wendy along again, hehehe. Love the stuff you bought, and that thread looks fabulous ;-) It's good to show how you made the stamp anyway as not eveyone who come's by may already know. Ooh Shibori dyeing, not tried that myself, but it is wonderful, hope you share.
Anne xx

Diane said...

Great tutorial--you make it look easy, but is it really?
I always love to go shopping with you too :)

Marlynn said...

Loved all the purchases you and Wendy grabbed while your were out! Glad you let her rest in your purse so no one would "nap" her! Good friend, Elizabeth, never lets friends get napped! Hugs

Gaby Bee said...

Looks like it was a fun shopping trip :-)
Thanks a lot for the great tutorial. Stamp carving is on my long list of things I must try one day. Never enough time, to do all that I want to do. I'm still trying to figure out a way to grow more hours in a day...lol.

Steph said...

well hulloooo Wendy!!! I' sure you must have had a great time shopping!!! lovely stuf!! hugs steph

Unknown said...

that wendy is one busy gal.....love the eraser stamp.....you have such patience, I admire that.

Halle said...

Awesome carving job! I can't believe you did that carving with a kitchen knife! Crazy. I'd have been in the ER with a severed finger.