Sunday, September 21, 2008

New project using laminate chips

I have started a new project which may stretch over several days. I wanted to document the entire process. This is the first step. Over the past several years, I have accumulated quite a few laminate chips from various web sites, Lowes, and Home Depot. Most, if not all, have a number or trade mark on the front. The first step is to get these off.
I used a Faber Casteil eraser made for removing ink from drafting film. It took awhile, but I managed to rub out the numbers from a couple of brands, but not one other. Since I have so many of these, I decided to work with only the ones I could remove the numbers and logos from.
The next step was to cover the information on the backs of these chips. I used a cheap acrylic paint and really globbed it on using a foam brush. Some I tried to smooth the brush lines, others I left intentionally for texture.
Since my camera doesn't do a good job of taking photos, I took shots of both the left
and right sides of the book I laid the chips on. This is a spiral bound book that I had dedicated to making backgrounds from the art projects I paint or I spritz using color washes. I simply lay the piece on the page(s) and go to town. What seeps out or sprays over becomes part of the page design. I also normally clean my brush on these pages, but couldn't this time because I didn't want to move these chips from the page. I may have to add a second paint layer when this one is dry.

But right now, I'm headed out the door to attend the annual "Art in the Park" at our local Botanical Gardens. Check back again, because I'll be working on these as soon as they are completely dry, probably tomorrow.

0 thoughtful remarks: