Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to my CollAHge book

I haven't worked in my CollAHge book since California, so I got it out today and played.
There's a reason why people don't use plastic in their art. There is absolutely no glue that works. I tried it all, and finally ended up using E-6000, which distorted the image. In fact, I think it melted it. If anyone knows what the best glue for adhering slick plastic to paper is, please let me know. I tried gel medium, white glue, glue stick, and double sided tape, none of which worked!!!

I kept the three stickers from bananas I had in CA, and just stuck them on a page. I wanted to carry out the Mickey theme, so cut the image from a Disney bag I got years ago at Disney World in Fl.

Plastic takes really sharp scissors to cut it, especially around curves. I more or less chewed my way through the image on the bag. When I finally got it cut out, I carefully removed two of the stickers from the page, and spread some pigment ink over the page.
My next page in the book started with a page from an encyclopedia that I spread blue and gold pigment ink on. I added the picture of a reproduction of a French restaurant menu cover for the 1939 World's Fair held in NYC. While rearranging a few things the other day, I found some wax seal stamps. The only wax color that came with them was black, which didn't exactly go with the image. So, I used crayon, which didn't work nearly as well as expected. In fact, the red popped off right after I removed the seal stamp and I had to attach it with E6000. I'm going to have to find out what wax works best with these stamps, because I definitely want to use them again.

One word of advice. If you melt wax onto your page, be sure it is perfectly flat when you do so. The page wasn't completely flat when I melted the blue crayon, and it ran everywhere.

3 thoughtful remarks:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

Hello! Try styrofoam(plastic)glue. It is sold in the same section as the styrofoam. Styrofoam is nothing but plastic and air, so it'll probably work.
suzan

Linda Manning Findley said...

lookin' good "E" you are just getting so many things done ..... Linda F

Anonymous said...

Your use of color in the Paris page is nice.

Susan