Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More photos from my friend's book

Since I'm still working on my long term project, I wanted to add some more pages from my friend's birthday book. The good news is, I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in my long term project and hope to have it finished next week.

This is a copy of a photo taken of my friend when he was in the military. He was in a shooting unit that often took first place. He is the one on the right, although I couldn't pick him out when I first saw the photo, because he has changed so much.

At the top right is a tab that reads "military years." I used yellow and black, the two colors I used most throughout the book, since that was the colors of Wichita State. I would like to believe I have grown a bit since I made this book in 2004.
This spread is called "Postal Years" as is evidenced by the tag at the top left. After retiring from the military, he spent another 20 years working for the USPS. The picture on the left page was one from the book. I covered everything else in gesso, then yellow and black paint on the left and bits of black paint on the right. I added postage stamps and cut a hat from one as an embellishment for the picture.
He is also a marshal, and is qualified to fly on airplanes. He did this as a reserve position while working at the PO. He has always had a job in government and law enforcement. This is a more accurate color than the photo below. The pages were first gessoed, then painted with many colors of acrylics.
This is the right side of the spread,
and this is the full spread, but the color is not quite right.

I took these photos with my camera. They are quite lo res. I hope when you click on them, you get a larger image.

0 thoughtful remarks: