Thursday, March 27, 2008

My RRR (recycle, reuse, repurpose) tip-ins are finished

I finally finished my tip-ins for the RRR (recycle, reuse, repurpose) swap on ABC. This is the front side of the transparencies. I used various paper scraps for the body and limbs, window screen I painted with metal paint I got free at the Household Hazardous Waste swap for the skirt, egg shells for the hair, mammogram film for the apron with the clock, and leftover faces on my handmade paper. I mounted the spread on a USPS "hold mail" form.
I finally ran out of those green faces, and had to use these alternate faces I also had lying around.

I was never happy with the faces on these, and set them aside for nearly two weeks. I had one finished, though, and all the bodies already glued to the page, so I had to continue with them, since the back side (which I was happy with) was finished. I guess I kept thinking if I added enough "stuff" it would compensate for the ugly faces. Well, in my opinion, nothing I added helped. But, they are done and that's the important thing.
Since I was totally unhappy with the art dolls, I decided to make a second set of tip-ins. I used corrugated cardboard that I stapled to a USPS "hold mail" form, stickers cut from address labels, paint and Formica chips, raffia, a safety pin, and fibers on the front side of this spread. The most difficult part was pinning the safety pin to the cardboard.
This photo shows the paint and Formica tags. The Formica tag cannot be removed unless you undo the safety pin, but the paint chip comes out of the holder. I added matching stickers to the cardboard. The hearts are leftovers from the mask scraps I made on the other side.
The masks seemed to go over well on the group, but I wasn't sure I wanted to make them after I made the prototype. However, I needed something to go on the back side of the tip-ins, so I covered the staples (as best I could) with drapery material, then added the mask that I made using various paper scraps and a used bottle cap.

0 thoughtful remarks: