Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Second on the 2nd: Houses


For my second look, I like to share something that is reminiscent of the theme of our current host at Art Journal Journey.  Since Jo's theme this month is texture, I thought this was an offbeat and quirky way to acknowledge it.

This is from October 23, 2008 and is copied in its entirety.  I called it

The houses on 6th Street

Everyone in the art world seems to be on a house kick, especially row houses, so I took some of my brown paper-bag paper, originally intended for backgrounds, and turned it into row houses. I call this one "The houses on 6th Street."

I found this really cool magazine page, turned it upside down, and thought it looked like phone and electric wires.  The focal images are from Antiques magazine, and the chimney is a crackle paint experiment whose colors were too close to the background color to show up well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's obvious I created this in my Houses altered book.

Now it's your turn to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  It could even be a post that is as relevant today as it was when you originally posted it.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  The only requirement is, it must have been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit. 




16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I like your houses, with the strange people sitting in the windows. Brown bag paper always has lots of texture. The 'phone wires' are fun! Have a nice day! Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Looks fabulous, those images look 'ghostly' but fit in well. x

Iris Flavia said...

.... aaaand punch-back, you smashed me to Elm Street with that! If school´s out Freddy Krueger arrives, ahhhhh...

Do we scare each other off now?! 👻
Really I cannot even watch that it still scares me off! I had sleepless nights with lights on! Heeeelp! 😉

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fabulous page Elizabeth. And I never saw it since it is from 2008. That makes it particularly nice to see now, and is a good inspiration for the texture challenge this month. I love the drawing lines in the background. They give nice detail. Happy Second of the month! Hugs Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I love this journal page very much-glad you shared it as I wasn't on blogger back then. I need to think of something for this months theme textures-its a good one.
Happy second on the 2nd hugs Kathy

Darla said...

This is a fabulous page. It is so complete but still leaves so much to the imagination.
The bit you used to indicate sky/wires is genius.

Sami said...

Great use of brown paper bags and I love the wires and bird on the roof. Very creative Elizabeth.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

oh noe !!!!! a burd on de roof :) ☺☺♥3

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely brilliant Elizabeth! Now, houses, there's an idea!! A great second look at something I haven't seen before! Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

Love it!

craftytrog said...

That's a fabulous page Elizabeth! I love it! xx

Words and Pictures said...

I love your brown paper bag houses - they are so charming, with lovely random texture. And the birds on wires are the perfect sight across the roofs. I always love little houses (connected to the family dollshouse obsession, I guess) - so I'm glad to see this page which comes from before I'd met you here in Craftyblogland. In fact, it's from before I even knew about such a place or such a hobby!!

Hope all is well, and I'll try to fit in some more catching up soon - but I'm for bed now after a long day... Keep staying safe and well.
Alison x

Karen said...

It totally looks like phone wires! great little row houses too ~ Happy 2nd

Rita said...

Those do look like electric or telephone wires, but the people look like the come from an age before those existed so it gives the piece an avant garde look. Nice! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I like how you created these houses and put people in the windows :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous! I like the texture of the brown paper - perfect 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x