Friday, September 18, 2020

Friday Smiles 389: More Eisenhower Museum


I want to begin by apologizing to those of you who visited last week who I didn't.  Friday during the day, my computer quit working.  I thought it was my internet again, but this time it was more serious.  I had a fried power supply cable.  Without it, I got no power, and no way for the computer to boot up.  Since it's my only way I have of getting on the internet (I have NO tablet, cell phone, etc.), I was stuck.  My sincere apologies and I will try to do better this week.

It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.

Ike looked to the future until the end.

Words of wisdom that are possibly even more important today than when they were written.


Three of the many books written by Ike are Waging Peace, At Ease, and Mandate for Change.

In the background is the Gettysburg home Ike and Mamie shared, while the painting in the frame

is Ike's boyhood home as it might have looked when he was living there.

Tributes to Ike and his final resting place.

It's time to say farewell to this incredible president.

I tried at least a dozen times to get this in focus.

Sometimes my camera just defies me.  It may be as tired as I am.

In the background is a rendition of the new Eisenhower Museum (not shown), Library, boyhood home, and pylons.


Here is a better rendition of the new Eisenhower Museum (shown on left), Library (shown on right), boyhood home (bottom center), and pylons (top left). Note the road connecting the two main facilities is now missing and in its place is the statue of Ike between and connecting the two facilities. 

It's time to find a bench and sit for a few minutes.  In the background is the Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad.  Next time we'll visit the pylons.

Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us. 
 

12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I nearly went straightaway when I saw the title....Have a wonderful day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Elizabeth. No way you apologize. Bet everyone says, oh, sorry it ALL went down! AGAIN (if for a different cause).

I think we all want Ike or Obama back? I hope for one man to go...
Beautiful last pic! It did make me smile 😊

Annie said...

You know I'm not a museum lover but the last photo really made me smile. What gorgeous flowers.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's nice to spend a while looking through the museum photographs as it just takes your mind off other things that are going on. The garden at the end is lovely too. Have a lovely weekend and stay safe. I noticed you were asking Annie about the new 6 in a group rule, it's because of the sudden increase in Covid cases. As from Monday we can only meet up with 6 other people in our home and outside but it's all rather confusing as different parts of the country are doing different things and the government are making it worse as this doesn't effect certain activities like their Grouse shooting season! Obviously one rule for us and one for them. Hugs, Angela xXx

My name is Erika. said...

Yes, those words are so important now, and it may not even be the military but some militaristic radicals within a government. This museum is really fascinating, and I am still enjoying my visits. Hope you have a nice FRiday. Hugs-Erika

mamapez5 said...

Elizabeth, we all have power and internet failings at times. No need to apologise at all. I have to admit I did a whistle-stop tour of the museum but I did sit a while with you and enjoy the flowers. Kate x

CJ Kennedy said...

That quote reminds me of the more things change, the more things remain the same. I enjoyed the trip to the Eisenhower Museum.

Mae Travels said...

The term "military industrial complex" was one of Ike's most memorable contributions to American self-awareness. A very good choice for the present day, though of course what we are seeing is worse!

Great that your repair is successful and you are back in the world.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

If we had listened to him we'd be better off now :(

Hoping you're back online soon!

Lisca said...

Glad you are back online. The power cable was obviously replaced. Scary that. It could have caused a serious fire. Doesn't bear thinking about!
I feel sad to say goodbye to Ike. He really was a good president. I love that wise quote of his. It still stands today, as you rightly say.
Your cats are more into bags than boxes? Do tell us more about the peculiarities of your boys. (with photos if possible). You know, funny habits they have, naughty things they do etc.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Hey you never have to apologize. Things happen and you are so good about keeping in contact with all of us. Hope your PC is working OK now. You know how much I love the posts of the museum. Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Jeanie said...

The painting is exceptionally beautiful. And I love the schematic of the museum complex. That's quite dramatic.