Saturday, February 29, 2020

The rusted heart


Something to consider.  The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) will not as Trump contends, "magically disappear" and is not intimidated by presidential tweets.

Today I'm back with my final entry at Art Journal Journey.  I will also have a wrap-up of the month, too.  Of course, I'm still in recycling mode, so I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday

Let's start with rusting our heart.  If the heart looks familiar, it's because it was the template I used nearly two weeks ago for cutting the hearts I shrunk.

Unlike real rust, which must be handled with disposable gloves, this rust begins with black acrylic craft paint

that I spread on the heart cut from the soda cracker box originally destined for the recycle bin.

While still wet, I added the terra cotta craft paint

and spread it on the heart, too.

Immediately after the two colors were on the heart, I added a ton of ground cinnamon

to the heart.  When I removed the heart from the card stock on which I created it, much of the cinnamon came off, too.  I think by taking photos along the way, I allowed the paint to form a thin crust/skin that prevented the cinnamon from sticking thoroughly.  I let the heart sit for about two weeks, because I was not sure where to go from there.  In the meantime, however, I used the card stock with the outline of the black heart in my tribute to Kobe Bryant and David Stern.

As an aside, the cinnamon was purchased to use in crafts, not food safe items.  Even though it is edible, I don't mix food products with craft products.  It doesn't cost that much to purchase items for craft projects and different ones for food.  Safety above all else, I believe.

I finally came up with a spread I liked.

I only wish the center line on the heart was less noticeable.  It was less noticeable until I knocked all the excess cinnamon off the heart.

For the background, I used a mat that had been in a rusty tray. 

The real rust on the mat looked about the same to me as the faux rust of the heart. 

In case you can't read the sentiment, it is:
He missed her so much his heart turned to rust.
The photo, a TH found relative,

was encased with a black heart.

A few more photos




For this page, I began with the faux rusted heart that I set aside until I had a plan for the page.  I had this rusted mat I'd saved from a rusty tin drawer.  I carefully washed it (after donning disposable gloves) using baking soda and water to neutralize the rust.  Once the rust was neutralized, it was safe to sew to the background, a sheet of 110 lb. card stock.  I used green variegated thread because I know rust sometimes turns green when exposed to air.

Next, I added the faux rusted heart, the found relative, and the black open heart in that order.  I computer generated the sentiment, colored it using two water soluble crayons, and added it to the page.

In case you are wondering, for Try it on Tuesday, the heart was recycled from a soda cracker box, and the rusty mat was recycled from a rusted tin drawer I left outside over winter last year.

Here is a recap of the other Hearts I created during February.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. Your visit means the world to me.  I hope to also see you in the next few hours at Art Journal Journey.   I also hope to see you at Try it on Tuesday with your recycled project or your green project.  

And to completely finish this month, here is my completed February calendar.

Left side

and right side.
 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The rusty heart and the page it is on look really good, you got a lot done this past month. And you got your calendar finished, well done. As for the words of Trump, well. It reminds of the quote from Einstein. 'The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius is limited'. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

OMG, Trump really said that?!!! And I´m not even surprised :-(
Valerie just hit it!!! (I´m sorry, sad as it is I had to laugh!)

Hmmm. I think I´d be tempted to lick it all off, that cinnamon! ;-)
My sweet tooth is a boring one, but my Granma used to make these "poor knights", old breadrolls in half, dipped in milk with an egg, in the pan with butter and then on the plate add shugar and cinnamon.

This is so beautiful, sad and scary at the same time.

February sure was a heart(y) one xx
And I love your calendar. Mine would be "a tad too" boring right now ;-)

(P.S. I´m with you. I´m afraid of heights, too)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Morning Elizabeth, I bet that heart smells delicious what a terrific way to get faux rust. It looks dynamic against that rusty mat with the centre fold just adding to it's composition. Your TH lady has found a happy home amongst it.
You've had a fabulous creative month so sorry I have not been around to see it all, responsibilities have taken hold of all of my spare time this month, not been much left for me.
I tend to just roll my eyes when I hear or read words from those in authority after all they will all take priority no matter what the crisis leaving us banging on the door to get in. The media is all gloom and doom at the moment with my little part of the UK sinking due to recent weather conditions, there seems no end to it all. Glad to have a day free today, may even treat myself to a little craft time.
Enjoy the rest of your day & i'll catch up with you asap HUGS Tracey xx

aussie aNNie said...

lOOKS AWESOME love that cinnamon and bet the heart smells good, great post. Lot of gloomy reports about the virus and is it true it was caused by Bat Soup?? Are we doomed in this world? If so I better get on my skate board and finish my design team projects, oh but then will it be worth it? It seems the scientist here down under are working on it and getting prepared, me, well I am ruddy scared as I get influenza each year very bad, last year was the worst...so keep everyone in our thoughts.xxx

Cath Wilson said...

I bet that smells heavenly, Elisabeth. I love the 'perfume' of cinnamon! Nice bit of recycling. I love oxidised metal, too :-)
Have a great weekend!
Cath x

Karen said...

~WOW~ that you saw a use for a rust stained mat blows me away! it turned out great paired with the heart, the vintage photo, and sentiment. Your recap collage is terrific and I might have to copy your idea for your month at a glance ~ very creative!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

It's great how you made the heart with the individual steps and the end result has become beautiful. A pretty heart journal.
You made beautiful journals this month and made them up as creative as you were! I was very happy with this topic!
Have a beautiful Weekend, Elke

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Thanks for sharing the steps you did to make the rusty heart. I added a link to this post to my blog as a faux rust technique. Your completed art piece is lovely. The "real" rust does look the same as the "faux" rust.

With regard to covid19 (coronavirus), I've got a link for it on my blog.

Nancy said...

Interesting method that even comes with a good smell! Nice.

Divers and Sundry said...

But Pence is in charge now, so we're all good, right? Right! *sigh*

This is a touching piece :) The cinnamon gave a good rusty look, and the smell would be nice to work with.

CJ Kennedy said...

What a wonderful technique for creating "rust". I never would have thought of that.

Rosie said...

Another beautiful page

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

froebelsternchen said...

you are the queen of rust Elizabeth! A gorgeous page! Wonderful!

Neet said...

I can just imagine that wonderful smell in your craft room with that gorgeous heart. What a good idea! All that talk about cinnamon reminds me of the wonderful cinnamon toast I used to have in Wales. I have no idea how they made their cinnamon butter have tried and tried to replicate it but had no success. Now the business has gone but the memory lingers on.
Hugs & Thanks for the memory
Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is such a wonderful page Elizabeth! I can imagine it smells pretty good too! It's a great link for the Going Green/recycle something theme! You have made an amazing number of pages for AJJ this month! I was hoping to make one last page but I haven't been very well today! Your February pages look so good! I must get started on my March pages...maybe tomorrow....
I imagine that quite a few folk wish that Trump really would bury his head in the sand!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

Wow, I love how you rusted and recycled the heart. It is a fabulous page for both themes at AJJ and TioT's.
I can imagine a nice aroma using the spice in your mixed media art, it certainly looks good.
Yvonne xx

Vic said...

Stick to art! When you believe fake news it shows your ignorance, Trump 2020!

Rita said...

I would never have thought of using cinnamon! Nice out-of-the-box thinking. :)

Cindy McMath said...

Very cool rust technique - I bet it smells heavenly! Acrylic paint is probably a bit too quick drying regardless of whether or not you are taking pictures. You could try adding a retardant. If you don’t have that then maybe consider mixing it with clear (matte) glue or gel medium. I love seeing your calendars every month. How do you like the new format? It looks like you have a bit more writing room. Last but not least it was lovely to look back at the rest of your month of hearts. Well done!

DVArtist said...

I love how your created this heart. Then the photo and the sentiment behind it. Very powerful. You are so right about COVID 19 we now have cased here in OR. Next week I have to drive hubby to Salem, OR where we are just miles from the outbreak. Yes, I am worried.

Jeanie said...

This is just terrific. I love the heart -- it really works. The cinnamon -- inspired! And I'll bet it is the best smelling art in Wichita! It's perfect with the image and textures you chose.

Lowcarb team member said...

Interesting to see the steps you did to make the rusty heart, thanks for sharing the info.

All the best Jan