Thursday, January 2, 2020

Second on the 2nd, a review


Looking back on 2019, here are the second looks beginning in January:

January

An abstract from July, 2017 called Day on the water.

February

From October, 2011, I called this one Tale of the Honey Bear.  Its the story of flour resist on fabric that was dispensed by my beloved Honey Bear.

March

From 2014, I call this one Welcome Spring, if only in my dreams.  It was to honor the Spring Solstice, 2014.

April

I call this post Why Easter Is Not Green.

May

In May, I combined two posts to honor Phil Epp, a Kansas native who works with tiles, sculptures, and paint.  His home is in Newton, Kansas, a town just north of Wichita.

June

This is a Behr paint chip book I created for my friend Halle for her birthday in June, 2008.

July

This post from June, 2015, was entitled ATCs and was when I suggested we exchange ATCs for our second T Tuesday anniversary.  Just think.  Soon it will be year SEVEN!

August

For August, I combined two posts and showed rust dyeing.  I also warned of always using gloves when handling rust and rusty parts.

September

This was my first ever Tuesday Tea post.  Back then we had themes we had to adhere to and this one was called Tuesday Tea: Springtime in Kansas.  The theme was "What signifies the coming of spring for you?"  This is from March 23, 2010.

October

This post hearkens back to October 1, 2018, which was my grandmother's birthday.  I doubt I have to mention this, but my grandparents raised me from birth.

November

This post was from July, 2012 and was for a challenge.  It was called Artist's Play Room: Pear (or other fruit).  We were told to draw a pear, but drawing is NOT in my wheelhouse.  Therefore, I stamped an apple on dictionary paper, then added it to my ABCs made of fabric, a stencil, and colored shaving cream.

December

I called this one She added numbers in her head and it was originally posted in July, 2016.

Now for this month's Second on the 2nd.


I'm blaming my friend Kathy for this post originally published on February 8, 2009.  It was back when I was a designer for UHU glue.  I've  disabled the links because they would be dead, anyway.    Kathy has been asking about gesso, so I thought I would offer a way to use gesso other than using it on your altered book or journal pages.  Here are the relevant parts of this post:

Gesso, masking, and UHU's temporary glue roller


Supplies clockwise from lower left:
Craft sheet to protect your work surface
Substrate (I used one of my Solvent Ink and Alcohol backgrounds)*
Mask (I used a heart I originally intended to use in my bookmarks)
Gesso
Wet wipes
UHU Repositionable (non-permanent) Glue Roller**
Alternate: Any repositionable glue or tape will work
Foam brush

*This is one of my favorite background techniques, so if you haven't seen it, please check it out.

**I have no idea if UHU still makes this product because the link wouldn't load.

I began by cutting my page into 4 X 4s. This gave me six sheets, since the paper was not quite 12 X 12.

Next, I liberally adhered the non-permanent UHU glue to one side of the heart. By liberal, I mean I placed it over all the surface. Since this piece is to be used as a mask, it requires coverage around all the outside surfaces.

Hold your piece to the light so you can see all the little dots. If you've missed a spot, you'll be able to see it.

MY TIP: Keep and store your glue roller in the plastic container it came in. Although you might be the cleanest person in the world, the plastic container will still protect from unwanted dust particles, cat fur, stray paint, and other particles that can lessen the life of the roller. It doesn't take much more room to store it this way, and your glue rollers will thank you, too.

I began by positioning one heart on the 4 X 4, but decided two would be better than one, so I repeated the process of adhering repositionable glue to a second heart.

Dip your foam brush in the gesso. If you get too much on your brush, you can use a wet wipe to remove the excess.

I went with straight line streaks and worked the gesso until I liked the results.

Gently remove the hearts. I put my fingernail under one side and gently lifted. The substrate started to lift, too, so I used the handle of my foam brush to hold it down until both hearts came off. It wasn't as hard as I make it sound. 

I played around with all six squares. I alternated from one to two hearts, swiped more or less gesso, and even used a wet wipe to remove some gesso I didn't like. After the third time of using one of the hearts as a mask, the gesso started seeping through to the back of the heart. I gently wiped the back using a wet wipe and the repositionable glue stayed intact.

I think my favorite was the top left heart. I added the gesso in a sunburst pattern, turning the square around as I swiped the brush edgewise.

I hope you try this fun technique.

Here is a possible substitute for UHU's repositionable glue, 

as are these.

Now it's time for you to link your second look on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  The only condition is it must have been published sometime in the past. Then link below and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.    Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another great review Elizabeth, thanks. My fave is the pic from Philip Epp's work, striking. Have a great day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Great review and super cool technique!

Big hugs Susi

My name is Erika. said...

It is fun to see all these second looks again. I like the variety and it is inspiring to get some ideas for 2020. I'm back to work this morning and keeping it short. Hope the year has started well for you. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, this is an amazing post Elizabeth-I really loved looking back at all of your art-you are so creative. I really loved all of them. did you really use your lamb mold for the rust? sorry had to ask lol I have three all different sizes in my cast iron collection. I can't choose a favorite they are all wonderful
Happy second on the 2nd hugs Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

and thank you much for the tutorial on gesso-looks like a fun technique. I saw a video last night with liquitex gel medium-to brush it all over the words and then rub it on to a page and the words will come off-she was using it for background pages-looks like fun things to try out

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, do you have more info about the Honey Baer?
(My Miele Baer asked)
March I LOVE!
September sure gave me a thrill (from the Queen of sadly and accidentially destroying glass, porcellain and such).. HELP!
I am with you. Out of 14 Grandkids my Granma raised my Brother and me (with our parents, I can thankfully add!). In the end she did not recognise me, though.
Not good with numbers here!
UHU. I sure grew up with that!
If a piggy and toilet seat count as art, I am in!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard of re-positional glue. Fascinating.

Jeanie said...

I love seeing some things I don't remember (and some I do!) Your tutorial is great and thanks for the info on the supplies.

Cindy McMath said...

I enjoyed your retrospectives. I am curious about the UHU links being dead - we can still by UHU glue here in Canada - is it no longer available in the US? It is my favourite glue stick! I don’t normally bother with repositionable adhesives for masking - just hold it down and hope for the best. Of course I sometimes get a bit of bleeding, but art is not supposed to be perfect. :)

Meggymay said...

It was good to see these photos and revisits , the tips you share are always interesting. I really liked seeing your first tea post photo as well a beautiful china cup and saucer.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Great to see the review!
Happy 2020! :)

Mia said...

I forgot, once again, your Second on the 2nd, Elizabeth. I will try to join if I find some free time. Thank you so much for the photo tutorial of gesso, really inspiring. Kisses!!!

kathyinozarks said...

Oh my Elizabeth-I am so sorry for all the caos happening with no electricity again-glad you had a warm place to sleep-hoping Bleubeard got to come along. and the person with the accident survived hugs to you

Words and Pictures said...

Another great review of the year - and a really interesting technique in your 2nd on the 2nd. I love the reveal of the hearts in the cloudy gesso frames.
Alison x

pearshapedcrafting said...

A great look back at the year! I love those hearts, Chrisx