Monday, October 14, 2019

T Stands For Reyes



A few weeks ago, my foodie friend Sally and I headed to Reyes.  Some of you may remember this was the restaurant that caught fire in the kitchen area and one of the two sisters died from burns, while the other was in the burn unit for months.  The family took over and reopened the restaurant a month or so before we went.  I failed to get a photo of the restaurant from the outside, so was glad I had one I could share from a previous time I had eaten there.

On the wall to the right is a photo of the woman who died in the fire.  What a lovely tribute.

Out front, nothing much has changed.

Everything looks so clean and fresh except the ceiling tiles.

There was also a wall of floral tributes to the woman who died in the fire.

I always enjoy eating here, because I can find so many choices that are conducive to vegetarian interests.

As always, both Sally and I had water with our meals.  Mine included lime, which was also on the buffet table.

Beans, rice, cheese enchilada, something green and cheesy which was hot, and a a rice and bean dish that was delicious were on the main plate, while I created a taco salad in the small bowl using a bowl shaped taco to which I added beans, rice, sour cream, and tomatoes.  I was actually too full to get dessert.

It's now time to share your own drink related post this week.  It can be photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, ATCs, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.   Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday, and not just this year.




27 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The restaurant is very pretty and nicely decorated. How awful that the fire killed one of the ladies, but good that they haven't forgotten her. Your food looks good and plentiful, I'm sure you weren't hungry afterwards. It's bedtime here so I'll say goodnight! Valerie

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful photos. I remember these chairs from before, I think. Your food looks wonderful. That is nice they did a tribute to the one killed in the fire. Happy T Day, Elizabeth.

Let's Art Journal said...

This is such a fabulous place! I love the riot of colours and those chairs are just amazing, the sunflower bench seat caught my eye 😉. The food looks so delicious, Mexican is one of my favourites so I'd be more than happy to join you 😀. Sending Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Reyes is "muy Mexicano" (very Mexican). I'm glad the family was able to re-open after the tragic fire. Your food looks delicious too.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Jeanie said...

I love their colorful benches and furniture but judging by the photos, I think I'd love the food even more! That fire was so very sad. Glad they have regrouped and back in business.

Meggymay said...

The restaurant has been beautifully decorated, it looks so inviting. It was also good that they had a special way to remember the sister who lost her life.
Your food does look delicious, I could pull up a chair and join you if I could.
Happy T day wishes Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Such a beautiful place with all those fun colors. and so nice they have set up a tribute to the lost person of the fire.
I love mexican food and your plate sounds so good.
Happy T wishes Kathy

Halle said...

That place reminds me so much of the Rey Azteca near our house. The bold colors and designs. Such a fun atmosphere.

Linda Kunsman said...

wow, I LOVE how vibrant and colorful this restaurant is!! Beautiful, touching tributes to the woman who lost her life in the fire.
Looks like a wonderful and generous plating of food-yum!
Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

I've never been to a Mexican buffet, but your meals here always look good. Too bad about the woman who died. That must have been some kitchen fire. And sad too. Your meal looks good and I bet you are glad they have opened up the restaurant again. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Absolutely love those wild, colorful chairs! Nice that they have a tribute to the lady that died. Food looks good there. :)

Birgit said...

How sad to hear about the woman who died but I’m glad they have a nice tribute to her. I hope the other lady is not in too much pain but a burn victim is always in a pain I never want to know because a small burn on my finger is painful enough. The place looks so unique and colourful. I love the colours but also the etchings in the seat backs. Very unique

aussie aNNie said...

wow how pretty is this restaurant...x

Helen said...

Glad they have re-opened one of your favourite restaurants. the tributes to the sister who died are fitting. Not surprised you couldn't managed dessert, what a plateful, lol!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, those poor women!
But so nice they could reopen and wow, I´ve never seen chairs like that! So beautiful! Fun and comphy!
But you are right, how come they failed to take care of the ceiling?!
The food looks sooooo yummy, too!
I think I´ll try to get some melon later!
A happy T-Day to you x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely bright colors in this restaurant. It's sad to hear about the woman who died. I hope the sister who survived is doing okay: recovering from severe burns is hard. (About two weeks ago a plane carrying 13 people crashed at Bradley Airport in Hartford, and 3 of the survivors were taken to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital. I think they're still there.) The food looks delicious. I love Mexican food. Happy T-Day! (Note: I'm still busy with offline activities, so I still won't be visiting as frequently as I normally do.)

CJ Kennedy said...

Such beautiful, vibrant colors and I love the chairs. So nice the family took over and reopened the restaurant to carry on the work of the sisters. A lovely tribute to the woman who died in the fire. Happy T Day.

Nancy said...

If there's one thing I love, it's fun furniture- and here it is! Thoughtful tribute, too. And good food. A lovely outing.

Sami said...

A lovely and colourful restaurant, love the chairs. Very sad that one of the ladies died, but has been lovingly remembered in the restaurant.
Nice food too Elizabeth.

Lisca said...

Oh yes, I remember Los Reyes from a previous blog post. I hadn't realised they had had such a tragedy. The place looks fresh and welcoming. They have been able to either rescue or rebuild that lovely furniture and it looks really nice.
Your meal looks delicious. Can I come with you next time? I would have liked all of that.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

froebelsternchen said...

I remember these wonderful restaurant and the chairs from before. Gorgeous place! Your food looks just wonderful. That is great they did a tribute to the woman who was killed in the fire. Happy T Day dear Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

Such a loss :( but I'm glad they were able to reopen. The place looks fantastic! and the food looks delicious. Happy T Tuesday!

Cloudia said...

Good for you supporting them!

pearshapedcrafting said...

So pleased they re-opened! This looks to be a beautiful place with great food! Hugs, Chrisx

Caty said...

This is a lovely restaurant Elizabeth !! Sure I´d enjoy the meals. Love the chairs and all the decoration, and so kind to remember this poor woman.
Happy belated T-day dear, I´m so sorry I´m late visiting and posting, yesterday I couldn´t, I was too busy. But I want to visit everyone there.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, night here, and I send biiig hugs
Caty

Lowcarb team member said...

It looks a very nice place, love the colours they've used.
So nice that they have set up a tribute to the person lost in the fire.

Your food looks very tasty!

All the best Jan

RO said...

So sad that this happened to the family, but glad that they are back and trying to move on as best they can. I'm super hungry right now, and the pics of the food is not helping(lol), but it sure looks yummy. I've been dying a slow death lately because my computer has died, making everything in life backed up. Ugh! I'm in the library right now trying to catch up some. Sending some hugs your way, and hope your Internet is back and working. RO