Friday, September 13, 2019

Superstitions


Annie (at A Stitch in Time) is on hiatus this week, so instead of "funnies," I'm going to talk about superstitions.

Let's begin with Friday the 13th.  Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day by many Westerners.  Paraskevidekatriaphobics (say that three times fast, heck say it even once since it's a real mouthful) are those afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th.  If you're into other long words no one can pronounce, try triskaidekaphobia, which means fear of the number 13.  A fun fact is Friday the 13th occurs during any month that begins on Sunday.

These fears are part of our upbringing, our own experiences, and irrationality brought on by our surroundings.

Possibly my favorite is a black cat crossing my path.  Why make sure a black cat doesn't cross your path?  It's said that you will have bad luck all day.  Some people believe this superstition arises from old beliefs in witches and their animals, which were often said to take the form of black cats.

Apparently, bad luck comes in threes. Although there seems to be many explanations, Folk Lore Thursday offers these explanations:
There’s not only bad luck in threes but ‘deaths come in threes’. Three candles burning in a room is bad luck and three knocks in the room of a dying person is a harbinger of death. Breakages and tipped over glasses of water come in threes. Three butterflies on a leaf is considered bad luck as is hearing an owl call three times. Then there is the disheartening saying for any woman with many sisters or close female friends: three times a bridesmaid, never a bride.
Further:
‘Three strikes of a match’ is a well-researched superstition of threes, originating from war time. While the background to the superstition is agreed, there’s still debate over which particular war started the superstition.  The bad luck of ‘three strikes of a match’ comes from trench warfare. If a match is alight long enough for three men to light their cigarettes, this is sufficient time to be spotted by the enemy, pin-point their position and launch an attack. On the battlefield, forbidding ‘three strikes of a match’ sounds like sound advice, rather than a superstition.
The web site Phrases.org.UK offers this:
Ivar Kreuger, the Swedish match king, certainly did not create the superstition, as it has been alleged, but he made the widest possible use of it to promote sales. People, innately superstitious, did not mind wasting a match. After all, there might just be something in it! Certainly there were millions of pounds of profit for Mr. Kreuger who thus, by fostering for his own purpose a realistic wartime precaution, was able to increase his sales manifold.
Closely following the above three things going bad at once, is the number 666, often thought to be the sign of Satan and the end of days.

Another superstition is don't walk under a ladder or you'll have bad luck.  Personally, I believe anyone walking under a ladder needs to have their head examined.  How insanely idiotic can the person be who does this?

According to folklore, breaking a mirror is a surefire way to give you seven years of bad luck.

I hate to admit this, but my grandmother believed you should never open an umbrella in the house.  Opening an umbrella indoors is supposed to bring bad luck, though from what I could find, the origins of this belief are murky.  Legends abound, from a story of an ancient Roman woman who happened to have opened her umbrella moments before her house collapsed, to the tale of a British prince who accepted two umbrellas from a visiting king and died within months.  Like the "don't walk under a ladder" superstition, this seems to be a case of a myth arising to keep people from doing something that is slightly dangerous or stupid in the first place.  If only I could ask my grandmother why she abided by this belief.  Maybe it wasn't superstition at all, but common sense.

If a bird flies through an open window, it is widely believed to be bad luck, often signaling a death in the family.   I remember one year when I was putting my window air conditioner in the office window, a bird flew in.  The only bad luck I had was all the bird poop I cleaned up for days after trying to harness that poor, scared bird, while trying to keep my two fur babies from finding it.

They may be cute, trendy, and great for people who can't be bothered to water their plants on a regular basis, but according to the principles of feng shui, spiky plants like cactus and thorny acacia are bad luck and can lead to discord in your home.  It's a good thing I'm not into feng shui because I've killed many cacti (and succulents, too) over the years.

Apparently, if you’re using your rocking chair, no problem.  However, Irish legends state that an empty rocking chair invites evil spirits into a home. And if it’s rocking on its own, apparently you need to look out! The evil spirits are already there, and death could be lying in wait.  If MY rocking chair is rocking, it's because one or the other unnamed gray occupants of my home have just heard me coming and have decided to jump down, run, and hide.

Are you superstitious?  I didn't mention the good superstitions, but those abound, too.  Please let me know in your comments what your thoughts are on superstitions as we celebrate Friday the 13th.

24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I am not superstitious and am not expecting any bad luck today, touch wood, fingers crossed etc! Fun post! Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

My dear Mom always loved Friday 13th, she said it´s her lucky day. Well. That´s a superstition as well, is it? ;-)
"Para..."-what?!
Fischer´s Fritz fischt frische Fische. Frische Fische fischt Fischer´s Fritz.
Bon Appetit ;-) (Fritz caught fresh fish)
And wasn´t there a "bloody Mary" in the mirror, too?

Funny also. We "knock on wood" three times to make bad luck go away...

:-) I agree with the ladder and the mind :-) I am small, but I would never do that.

I once drove on a bumpy road. My umbrella was in the back and opened up. My colleague was driving behind and said it looked like a man getting up and he was a tad shocked.
Me, too! We all arrived safely.

Bird poo!!! Oh, LOL.

Oh. We have a big swing in the living room. It´s empty, but it does not move, I had a look.

You made me laugh a lot, let´s celebrate!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I watched three episodes of TOS - in none of them anyone was beamed up, I´m at it :-)

Helen said...

some great superstitions here. I do defy the unlucky umbrella thing by opening mine inside to let it dry out... I am not overly superstitious but like you say some of them are just common sense to avoid.

Sami said...

Luckily I'm not superstitious Elizabeth :)
Apart from the rocking chair and the cacti in the house I had heard of all the others. I have cacti in the garden :)
The Chinese consider the number 4 very unlucky as the word sounds like death, and consider the number 8 a very lucky number.

RO said...

I admit to being superstitious about splitting a pole and walking under a ladder, but even though I learned almost all of my superstitions from my mom, I don't really believe the way I used to as a kid. I learned lots of new trivia here, which you know I adore. Didn't know if Sunday starts the month, we're sure to have a Friday the 13th, and plenty of other cool things you've mentioned. I think the worst thing associated with the number 13 these days is the movie, "Friday the 13", which never seems to end(lol) Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

Lisca said...

Oh what an appropriate subject. And so interesting too. I didn't know about the month beginning with a Sunday, and I hadn't heard the superstition about the cactus or the rocking chair.
Let me tell you I am not superstitious at all. But i wouldn't walk under a ladder as that is common sense as you rightly say.
We do joke about the three disasters if we have two mishaps in the house (something like I break a glass) then we would ask, 'I wonder what the third thing will be'.
The only thing that I am adamant about is the 666. It is in the Bible and as a Christian I believe what the Bible says. Consequently I would not buy a house with number 666, or even have a phone number with that number in it.
A propos 'pesto': Italian pesto is not vegan as one of the main ingredients is Parmesan cheese. (which vegans don't eat) Of course vegans make pesto with vegan cheese, but that is not available here, so I used nutritional yeast and it was delish.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous post Elizabeth! My Grandma was very superstitious and once found my brother and I with her umbrella up in her front room walking on an imaginary tightrope on the floor - she was really cross with us! She had lots of things that she wouldn't do!
My Mother In Law (my ex actually) used to have all sorts of rituals to stave off evils! If she forgot something and had to go back in the house for it she would turn round 3 times and then sit down before she would deal with the problem! May blossom was banned from the house too and new shoes definitely should not be put on a table, although why these last two were ever on a to do list is beyond me!! Red and white flowers were never allowed to be mixed, apparently in hospitals it used to mean a death on the ward? (she used to be a nurse)
Me.....ummm...well...if I bang my elbow I always bang the other to stop good luck flowing out....it's the only thing...honestly..it's time I stopped!!!
Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

This post has made me think, its really interesting.
I don't think I am superstitious, but I do touch wood and cross my fingers now and again. Some like the ladder are common sense, but what if to avoid that you had to step into a busy road, that would take a bit of thought for me.
I have a friend who lived in France and the other day she was telling me that Friday 13th can be called lucky there. Folk she knew went and bought a lottery ticket... she didn't think they won, but one day.... who knows.
My gran, who we lived with when I was little used to tell us that after mid day on Friday 13 everything was safe again from the evil spirits that upset our lives on this day.
have a safe Friday 13th
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

Happy 13th!!
It's my lucky number!!!

Big hugs
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Really interesting Elizabeth. I had never heard of the rocking chair one, but I do see why people might fear an empty chair from that photo. Not saying I do...I don't think I believe any of these but my mother always said these things often. And I've broken mirrors, no bad luck. Thank for sharing this nice FRiday read, and I hope you have a great Friday the 13th. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Friday the 13th is only an unlucky if you happen to be a Templar Knight. The Templars had wealth and lent money during the Middle Ages. This ruffled King Philip of France's feathers as I believe he owed the Templars money, but didn't want to pay back the loan. He wanted the Templar wealth. Lots of political intrigue. He had the Templars murdered on October 13, 1307 which happened to have been a Friday. That's where the Friday the 13th bad luck day originated.

My mother thought black cats were bad luck so she wasn't fond of Ink coming around when she visited. Fortunately, Ink didn't really like company of any kind so he would find a cozy, hidey hole to hang out while company was around.

Enjoy your day!



R's Rue said...

Blessings.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What a fun post, Elizabeth. I'm glad I'm not superstitious. I've killed many a succulent myself. For that reason, I prefer to leave the live plants outside where Mother Nature can care for them.

Thank you for the Velcro tip and for reminding me of the many uses of VHB tape. The fusible iron-on tape is practically useless IMO.

I feel bad when you wonder why you're not getting timely notices of my posts. So I'd like to explain. Once and a while I'm blessed with more than one paying client at a time. I can turn most of their stories into articles for the website. But it's quite a juggling act.

Last week, I finished up three jobs and three articles. Let's say I finished all three posts on Sunday and I hadn't posted anything all week. So I want to share them all at our T-party the next day. I'd date one article Friday, one Saturday and one Sunday.

You're so kind to visit all my articles and comment. It really helps build my authority rating with the search engines. Thank you from the bottom of my heart ❤ Hugs, Eileen

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I am not superstitious either, but I think you've covered them all and more. Even the infamous number 666 in the Bible, which has been taken out of context as to its true significance. Blessings my friend!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm not (too) superstitious, although I've noticed the "things happening in threes" sometimes comes true. I've heard of most of the superstitions you listed. This was a fun post. I didn't even realize today was going to be Friday the 13th until a day or so ago. There's also a Full Moon, although I think my calendar shows that for tomorrow, not today.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. Interesting collection. We have had a few birds in the house in the past and I'm with you, it's the mess they leave behind. I have a rocking chair in the bedroom but it's never empty because I use it to hang my clothes on but maybe that doesn't count Lol! I wouldn't say that I really superstitious but things do seem to happen in threes but it just seems to me that when one thing happens something else just has to join in! Have a lovely weekend. Big hugs, Angela xXx

Caty said...

Your post is very interesting Elizabeth !! My family is superstitious, sometimes very superstitious, so, when I was a little girl, I never never walked under ladder , or touch a black cat, or......etc..... something ridiculous in our days. The times change. I was born on Friday, February 13, at 11:50 p.m., and, since they were superstitious, they enrolled me in the registry as I was born on the 14th. Already with 18/20 years old, I told them that being born on Friday the 13th is not bad luck, it is good luck, because a baby was born !! Finally, it is true that there are many stories about superstitions, and of course, each person lives them differently, like water drops are in the sea!
I wish you a very happy weekend, and send you big big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm not at all superstitious, but my favorite little-known superstition is that you shouldn't leave through a different door than the one you came through when you arrived. I mean better safe than sorry, right? ;)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

my ancestry is Irish; we have superstitions out de wazzoo !! ☺☺♥♥

Rita said...

There's a few I haven't heard of in here. I won't open an umbrella inside, either--LOL! I know. Silly. And I often am saying "knock on wood" and looking for a wooden surface so I don't jinx myself. But lucky I have no qualms about black cats. Have always loved them and have had three of them now. Maybe I was a witch in a past life--ROFL! ;)

Jeanie said...

This is such a fun and fascinating post. Some of these bits I knew, but lots were new. I'm glad the bird in your house brought only bird poop -- unpleasant but certainly better than a death. I always worry about black cats being hurt because of others' superstitions.

I loved all of these, Elizabeth. Thanks.

Cindy McMath said...

Definitely a few I hadn’t hear of. I wouldn’t consider myself superstitious.

Iris Flavia said...

A little late, but I found these superstitions from all over the world just now....