Friday, June 21, 2019

Friday Smiles 326: a return to the Museum of World Treasures


Once again, I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday SmilesBut first, some really great news.  The children are coming!  In case you are new to my blog, I had a friend who died and left me in charge of her three children, who at the time were two tweens and one teen, until their aunt could arrive from California to take them to their new home.  A nasty divorce and the father relinquishing his parental rights made these children orphans who have stolen my heart.  They are now well adjusted two teens and one tween, and enjoying life to the fullest with their aunt who has now legally adopted them.  They have already informed me they will be here next week.  I can't wait to see them again.

Now for a few funnies I found in my office when I cleaned it last year.


There were three men on a hill with their watches.

The first man threw his watch down the hill and it broke.

The second man threw his watch down the hill and it broke.

The third man threw his watch down the hill, walked all the way to the bottom, and caught it.

The other two men were puzzled and asked the third man how he did it.

The third man said, "Easy. My watch is 5 minutes slow!"




When I went to Starbucks for coffee they lied. It wasn't Starbucks, it was four bucks!



Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one, but the light bulb has to WANT to change.




Q: What is the loudest state?

A: ILLI-NOISE



One day there was a rabbit and a snake who were both growing old and could not remember what animal they were.

"OK I'll describe you and then see if you can guess what you are." said the snake.

"That's a good idea." said the rabbit.

"You are white, fluffy, and you have big ears and feet." said the snake.

"Oh good, I'm a rabbit! So the rabbit says, "You are long, slim, and have a forked tongue."

"Oh NO, I'm a lawyer!"


I apologize for the many, many photos this week.  However, if you are a World War 2 history buff, these may interest you.  These are the very last of WWII photos, I promise.  Next time we meet, I'll be sharing time with the teens and nearly teen. At least that's the plan.

Let me begin by saying this photo should have gone with last week's propaganda photos.  I don't understand how ANYONE could kill their own children.

We now enter the final area of WWII.

Here is the remaining area we will explore.  We've already seen the Holocaust, the propaganda, the soldiers, as well as the home front.   It's now time to view the timeline.

It is broken down into Europe, the Pacific, and Africa, at least until the U.S. gets involved.  I liked how everything was color coded, too.  Europe is green, Africa is orange, and the Pacific is red.  Enjoy.  I'll only leave comments as needed.













The Reichstag was the home of German Parliament.  It was burned shortly after Hitler took the oath of office.  He was the new Chancellor of Germany and had no intention of abiding by the rules of democracy. He intended only to use those rules to legally establish himself as dictator as quickly as possible then begin the Nazi revolution.  He used the fire to claim Communists were trying to take over Germany.  Does any of this hit close to home in today's political climate?












Does this look familiar to anyone?

I've shown this ship on my blog before, but not in this state.

This is what it looks like now.


Possibly the most famous photo of the ship is in the center above.  This is how it is displayed today.

Yes, this is a model of the U.S.S. Arizona and where it sits today.  You can see how many men were trapped and killed on that one ship on December 7, 1941.  The next day, the U.S. went to war with Japan and joined the European fight as well.





















I'm sure many Jews were thankful for the Soviets liberating them from the camps.  It didn't help Anne Frank and her family, though.



Patton first fought in northern Africa, then turned his attention to France after the Normandy invasion by the allies.


I wish I could have gotten a better photo of this wall hanging.  It was really mesmerizing, at least from a historical point of view.










It wouldn't be long until all the troops came home.  Europe fell earlier than the Pacific.

The letter of Japanese surrender.

Formal surrender ceremonies were held on the U.S.S. Missouri.  General Douglas MacArthur, best known for his command of Allied forces in the Pacific Theater, became supreme Allied commander, being appointed the title by President Harry Truman. MacArthur was placed in charge of the formal surrender of Tokyo on September 8, 1945, which this photo shows.

We still have WWI, the Korean, and Vietnam Wars to visit, but those will have to wait, because I hope to have fun things to share that the teens and tween and I find to do this summer.   BTW, it won't be long till they will ALL be teens.  I see a birthday in the offing.

Thank you for sticking with me through WWII.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.


13 thoughtful remarks:

mamapez5 said...

Wonderful news. I understand how much the youngsters mean to you. Have a great time with them.
Your funnies made me laugh as usual, and that's always a good way to start the day. Kate x

Annie said...

What fab new Elizabeth....I really hope you enjoy your time together with the youngsters. I chuckled at your funnies...thanks for sharing them.
Hugs,
Annie x

Valerie-Jael said...

I hope you will have a fun time with 'your' kids, and be able to do lots of fun things together. I'm off to the glass museum this afternoon, it's got air-conditioning! This heat is killing me. Have a great weekend, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is a very cool museum. I don't think I have seen any place like this. And I guess you have visitors. Hope they are being "good" and you are all having lots of fun together. Can't wait to see what this years visit has you doing. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

You know you cannot post enough WWII for me!

I'm excited that your "kids" are coming to visit (or you are going there -- but as I recall long ago their summer visit was going to be here.) I hope you are having a wonderful time and look forward to what your plans with them include!

Mia said...

I always appreciate the photos your share with us, Elizabeth! Hugs, my friend.

froebelsternchen said...

Have fun with the kids dear Elizabeth!Great to hear they come to visit ans stay with you!

I love to stick with you through WWII!

Sent you an email from a new adress, but please don't answer me on that - take my normal adress as I never check those adress for reading!
Susi

Meggymay said...

Wonderful news Elizabeth, I'm sure you will have a super time while the children are staying with you.
Lots of super photos . I am in awe of how clear a shot you got of the information notices. I am also still smiling at today's funnies.
Yvonne xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, sorry I'm so late today it's been one of those weeks really. I'm going to pop back tomorrow for a proper look and I need to read the funnies too. Have a great time with the kids. Hugs, Angela xXx

Divers and Sundry said...

War :( When will they ever learn? :(

I look forward to seeing what all y'all will do next week :)

Lisca said...

Thank you so much for taking me through the exhibition. It took me quite a while to read through everything. But it’s so interesting. I didn’t know Omar Bradley, so I learned something there.
I bet you are looking forward to seeing the children. I always thought that teens were kids in their teens, and tweens were kids in their twenties. Until I chanced upon an article about parenting that put me right. (Yes, you are allowed to laugh)
I loved your funnies. I usually read them out to hubby, but I am in holland without him.
As for the funny on my blog that you didn’t ‘get’, the comment ‘boy,that escalated’ refers to the image above, where a children’s story is followed by 50 Shades of grey, a sexually explicit novel.
Sorry I’m late. Have a wonderful time with the children and I look forward to hearing all about it.
Lisca

Birgit said...

It just goes to show how special you are for taking in the children and raising them to be responsible adults. Their mom knew what she was doing" I would love to visit this museum and read everything. When I was a kid, I saw a photo, shot by Alfred Eisenstaedt(he was Jewish), of Goebbels and thought he was pure evil. He and his wife were disgusting

Meggymay said...

L HAVE JUST HAD A SUPER CATCH UP ON THR HISTORY displays you ahRED IN THIS POST. i THINK i MAY HAVE SAID THIS Before, its aomewhere that ai could spend hours looking around.
YVONNE XX