Saturday, May 4, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often irreverent, occasionally off color, and always hilarious).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

The movie I am about to review, I have absolutely no desire to ever see it again, because it is NOT my kind of movie.  However, I'm sure many of my readers have seen it and loved it.

I really don't remember too much about it, other than I saw it in a movie theater in Omaha right after it came out in 1994.   I remember Forrest (played by Tom Hanks) was mentally challenged, served in Vietnam, saved many of his troop when they were ambushed or overcome, won a medal for his bravery, and did a LOT of running.  The one person Forrest couldn't save was Bubba, his friend who wanted to go in the shrimping business with Forrest after the war.

As an aside, while trying to find information that would help me recall the film, Forrest supposedly gave Bubba's family enough money they would never have to work again.  Inspired by the movie, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company was born. One of these restaurants was where my blogging friend Eileen visited in San Pedro.

I hope you enjoyed my pick this week.  You can watch it again, but I probably never will.  After all, "life is like a box of chocolates."

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I saw this film on TV and I quite liked it, although I am not a great film lover. Enjoy your day, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

this was a good film-Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors-Happy Saturday

Mia said...

Tom Hanks is a great actor, Elizabeth. And Forrest Gump is one of my favourite movies. Have a beautiful day, my dear friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

Not my usual movie fare, but a sweet movie. A sort of coming of age, love, and loss. Excellent cast.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I never saw this movie because I knew it wasn't something I would like, so I share your opinion about it. :-)

Also, I'm glad you liked my rocking horse artwork.

My name is Erika. said...

This is a classic. Even the kids at school still use quotes from this film, and none of them were even born in 1994. I've seen it on the tv several times too, including maybe a month ago. I need to get into this film Saturday posting. I did one at first and felt like I was stepping on CJ's toes when I did it, but this looks fun. HAppy weekend. Hope you have some settled and sunny weather. Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

I've seen this film various times on tv and enjoyed it.
Tom Hanks is a great actor.
Have a wonderful weekend Elizabeth :)

Birgit said...

Ughhh...I agree with you but, alas, I have seen it more than once. I saw it in the theatre as well and remember how people thought it was so new when Forrest meets the President and other famous people forgetting the Woody Allen did this in his film, “Zelig”. I am not saying that I hate the film but it’s just...simple, not to be mean since Forrest is “simple”. He never should have won the Oscar not should the film have won Best Picture when Shawshank Redemption came out at the same time and should have won instead. Shawshank is a classic whereas Gump is jus ok and kind of...gumpy. Thank you, once again, for your shout out to me. That’s is quite sweet....like a box of good chocolates not that Black Magic crap.

froebelsternchen said...

I couldn't remember that film and if I have seen it in 1994 or at least before 2000- too long ago and so many films...lol-- I searched it and found a super quick and fun 6 minute review in German and yes I can remember that film but I can tell you that I symphatize with your view of not watching it again !
But at least Robin Wright is an actor I like a lot!But more in her older age than at those time...lol!
I would be interested in the new "Welcome to Marwen" film from that director, but will wait until it's available online.

Happy weekend dear Elizabeth!
Hugs, Susi

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

I did enjoy this one:) Thought Tom Hanks did a wonderful job. Great pick:)
Have a fabulous weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

I may be the only person who has never seen this film, but I have no plans to see it now. The moment, if there was ever a moment for me, has passed. But it seems to have made a big impression.

Meggymay said...

This is a film I haven't seen, yes I heard about it, but never wanted to see it when it has been shown on our TV's.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

I loved it! Tom Hanks was great in it, I thought. Sweet movie. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a great movie and a film classic 😁. I hope you had a fun Saturday and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I confess to never having seen all of this film! I do like Tom Hanks but whenever this has been on TV I have only ever seen parts of it! Reading the comments here maybe I will try to sit it out if its on again! Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

Tom Hanks is such a good actor.
I did watch this film, and though popular with many it's not one that I would watch again.

All the best Jan

Marfi-topia said...

I watched this with a friend many years ago..she went on and on about it, but I honestly did not care for it. I will not watch it again either.

Jeanie said...

I've always loved this movie and haven't seen it for AGES!

Lisca said...

I haven't seen Forrest Gump either. Just the name sounded a bit daft to me so I never bothered. Consequently I didn't 'get' the name of the shrimp restaurant. So I thank you very much for clarifying that.
PS I do like Tom Hanks very much as an actor.

Caty said...

I have seen this movie at least twice !! I like it, and we can think about life, about the opportunities, the dreams, the possibilities..... interesting! Thanks so much for sharing Elizabeth.
I wish you a very nice Tuesday,
Big hugs, Caty