Saturday, May 18, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies: Olympus Has Fallen


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, usually irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

I'm trying to get back to my true choice of films because one thing you should know about is my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  In this case, there is more action than anything else.  I could have reviewed White House Down, another film also released in 2013, and I will probably do that in the future, but I have seen Olympus Has Fallen more times.

Olympus Has Fallen poster.jpg  Here's how Rotten Tomatoes describes it:
When the White House (Secret Service Code: "Olympus") is captured by a terrorist mastermind and the President is kidnapped, disgraced former Presidential guard Mike Banning finds himself trapped within the building. As our national security team scrambles to respond, they are forced to rely on Banning's inside knowledge to help retake the White House, save the President and avert an even bigger crisis. Antoine Fuqua (Training Day) directs an all-star cast featuring Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Angela Bassett, Melissa Leo, Ashley Judd and Rick Yune.
IMDb isn't quite so kind:
Disgraced Secret Service agent (and former presidential guard) Mike Banning finds himself trapped inside the White House in the wake of a terrorist attack; using his inside knowledge, Banning works with national security to rescue the President from his kidnappers. 
IMDb reviewers were kinder:
While "Olympus Has Fallen" is an entertaining and thrilling movie, it does however run on stereotypic fuel; one man who save the day and saves all of America.

The story is compelling and fast paced, right from the very beginning. And it keeps its high tempo right up to the end. Sure there were some very predictable moments and situations that even a blind man saw coming a mile away. But despite that, director Antoine Fuqua managed to put together a wholesome entertaining movie.

The action sequences are good and well executed, coming off as believable, despite it being one man against 28. And the way that these sequences were filmed just puts you right there in the action.

You can rent this on YouTube OR watch it on Netflix or watch it free by following this link:

https://www6.putlockertv.to/watch/olympus-has-fallen.63z7/rlw748y

I couldn't figure how to load the film in my blog post, since it wasn't a YouTube video.  The link did work when I tested it.

 Thanks for joining me today with this action packed story.   If only we had such brave people in our current "Olympus."

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I watched this one and fell asleep in the middle, says it all! Have a fun day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I will check it out Elizabeth! Thank you ! Didn't see this fil yet!
Have a great weekend my friend! I am still a bit busy here but everything is o.k.! Hope with your basement is all o.k. now and no mould!

Thinking of you my friend!

Big hugs, Susi

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This was an entertaining action movie.

CJ Kennedy said...

Himself and I liked this one.

My name is Erika. said...

Your movie is like CJ's today. But only because I don't recognize the name or the storyline, but I have probably seen it because the hubby is always watching this kind of film. I have seen so many that most of them just blend into one. He put on an old Denzel Washington film last Saturday night and even though I didn't recognize the name, I knew we had seen the film because I remembered it then. That's most likely where I am with this film. I will have to pay better attention rather than doing my blogging. Hee-hee! Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I like these kind of movies too-but I don't remember seeing this one. good actors too thanks Happy Saturday!
Good luck with the mowing-we are still looking for someone to cut grass up at the Lake

Birgit said...

You know, I don’t think I saw this movie. I’ve seen the other one with Channing Tatum where the kid steals the picture. This is a typical premise right down to Morgan Freeman being the President. I would love to see Morgan Freeman as, I don't know, a janitor who is not famous but just has to clean floors and toilets. Would we watch that? Of course! It’s Morgan Freeman:) Do you like this one better than the others?

Meggymay said...

Not a film I know or have heard about, but then I don't go to the cinema very often. Most of the films I watch are on DVD's.
Have a good weekend Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I had never heard of this one.

My name is Erika. said...

I saw all the tornadoes that hit the whole central part of the US today. I assume that means you weren't hit but hope there isn't anything more tonight.

Sharon Madson said...

My husband and I both like these two movies! In fact, only yesterdayI looked them both up, because we were discussing who the stars were and which one Morgan Freeman was in! Even though it is classic idea of one guy saving the day, we liked the fast pace! Have a great weekend!

Sami said...

Never watched this movie, but I don't think it's my type of movie.
Have a nice weekend Elizabeth

Lowcarb team member said...

Some seem to like it, while others don't!
I usually enjoy a film that stars Morgan Freeman though!

All the best Jan

Susan Kane said...

We have seen this film several times. If we are unsure about the menu selections and Olympus is one, we go to it.

Basically, having Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman make any movie good. This one is included.

pearshapedcrafting said...

We have seen this film on TV and did enjoy it even though as the review says 'there were some predictable moments'! Hugs, Chrisx

RO said...

I love an action thriller, so this is one I've seen a few times and truly enjoyed! Hugs...RO