Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.


Today I am reviewing Dirty Dancing (1987).  I went against my own requirements, and although I don't consider this a "chick flick," it is still a love story.  It's also considered by many women to be the best love story of all time.

This is a story about a young 17 year old girl named Baby (Jennifer Gray, Joel Gray's daughter) who falls in love with a dance instructor (Patrick Swayze) at a resort where she and her family are staying.  

The subplot involves an abortion, which caused various potential sponsors to refuse to sponsor unless the scenes were pulled.  One of my favorite actors is Jerry Orbach who plays Baby's father.  

It all begins when Baby, her sister, her mother, and her father Dr. Jake Houseman head to the Catskills for a summer of fun and relaxation.  Baby sees it as her last chance for fun before she goes to college, then off to the Peace Corp. 

Along the way, she meets a dance instructor, Johnny Castle and his partner Penny Johnson (Swayze and Cynthia Rhodes).  She learns that Penny is pregnant, so she goes to her father and asks for money, not telling him it is for an abortion.  Penny, who got pregnant by a Yale college student working as a waiter for the summer, says she can't get the abortion because she has to be in another resort's dance contest that she and Johnny were under contract to perform.  Baby offers to take her place, so Penny gets the abortion, which is botched.
 
Since Baby's dad is a medical doctor, she goes to him and asks for his help in saving Penny's life.  Remember, this was 1963 and abortion was still illegal in the U.S. at that time.  Jake manages to save Penny's life, but when Jake finds out that Baby lied about the money, he assumes it's Johnny's child and refuses to allow her to be anywhere near him. 

Lo and behold, Baby sneaks out at night and starts dancing with him.

They win their contest, but they were unable to perform the lift.

Robbie (Max Cantor) is dating and wants to sleep with Lisa, Baby's sister, even though he wouldn't help Penny when she was in trouble.  Lisa hopes to lose her virginity to Robbie, but Baby tells her he is no good.

When the owner of the resort finds out that Johnny has been seeing Baby, he fires Johnny. 

Just before the final event of the season, Jake gives Robbie money for medical school.  That's when Robbie admits he got Penny pregnant, then badmouths both Penny and Baby.  Jake got so mad, he took the money back.

As the event was about to end, Johnny returns, grabs Baby saying "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."  They get up, dance together, and perform the lift perfectly.  After the dance, Jake comes up to Johnny and admits he had been wrong about him and he and his daughter reconcile.

Many critics hated the movie.  They thought it was not worth the money, was a dog, and that it wouldn't even break even.   Turns out they were wrong because it was one of the highest grossing films of 1987.  It also won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Grammy, in addition to the sales from the soundtrack.

Hope you liked my pick this week, and thanks for joining me for Saturday afternoon at the movies.  I believe you can find Dirty Dancing free on the internet and rent it on Amazon Prime.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I never watched this movie, and probably never will, it's not my cup of tea! It's often shown on TV, too. Have a great weekend, Valerie

J said...

Hi Elizabeth, I loved that film when I saw it all those years ago but I don’t think I’d ever watch it again as I don’t think I would enjoy it so much and it would ruin my memories of it, I really liked Patrick Swayze in it,
Have a great weekend.
Jan x

Meggymay said...

I'm on the fence with this film. love/ hate depending on my mood. Its often on our TV. I think its the music that drew me when it was first released. I'll stay on the fence.
Yvonne xx

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I really enjoyed that film I enjoy most films I've seen with Patrick Swayze, and I really like dancing in films, so that was a double win as far as I was concerned. Plus some good acting and a good story. Good pick. Thank you.

froebelsternchen said...

This was a great film that I so liked and I a glad you mention it here today. I will watch it with my brother at netflix soon as I decided to watch a lot of films with him during his visit here.
Actually we watch the trilogy of films about Empress Elisabeth of Austria with Romy Schneider.
Have a great weekend my friend!
Hugs, Susi

kathyinozarks said...

I Love this movie! Have watched it many times and still enjoy and love it. Happy Saturday!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I loved this movie, and didn't realize the critics said it was bad. I've watched it several times over the years, and never tire of seeing it.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous, this is such an iconic movie and one of my friend's all time favourites! She won't let me forget the quote "No one puts baby in the corner" ...lol 😉. Happy Saturday! J 😊 x

My name is Erika. said...

It is interesting the types of movies you, CJ and Kathy pick. This one is a classic and very enjoyable. The song is now rolling in my head. Smile. I am off to hopefully get into the newest Avengers film today. I have to say, I was and am not a comic book reader but I am sure hooked on these superhero films. I figured I need to rush out and see it before I go back to school Monday and kids are talking about it, plus, I really am anxious to see how they wrap up all the films. I don't think you watch these but I am just babbling since it is Saturday movie day. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Birgit said...

Thanks for the shout out:). I’m glad you saw a movie...hahahaa. I have to admit, I am not a fan of this film although I love Patrick Swayze and am glad we saw his dancing in this. I wish he was born in a different time because we would see more of his dancing..when musicals were big. I also love Jerry Orbach who had a great singing voice and was a broadway star. I know that Patrick was not enamoured with Jennifer Grey because she whined a lot. The scene in the water was not as romantic as it seemed because it was very cold. Apparently this same lake is really shrinking, I watched a documentary on it.

Sami said...

One of my favourite movies too Elizabeth.
It still shows on TV once in a while and I love watching it.
The music and dance is fabulous too :)

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

Definitely a classic. Great pick! One of my favorite scenes is when Patrick Swayze sings She's Like The Wind:) Awesome.

Divers and Sundry said...

My problems with this film would take a lengthy discussion to explore. Definitely not my thing. The music, though, deserved those awards :) It's interesting to see what people to choose to highlight as films they especially enjoyed. I love the variety in film tastes :)

Eileen Bergen said...

One of my all time favorite movies, Elizabeth. Patrick Swayze was a fabulous dancer and also could act. I thought Cynthia Rhodes was one of the highlights of the movie. Though the entire cast was wonderful. And then there was the music ... Thanks for sharing this. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is not one of my all time favourites but I do still quite like watching it if it comes on TV! I hope you are enjoying your weekend! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

Swayze could dance and was eye candy, but I wasn't that crazy about the film despite the hype. I guess I'm glad I can say I saw it, though. Turned into kind of a classic film. :)

RO said...

I'm a serious movie buff, so I can say that I saw this about 4 times, but NOT in a movie theater. I watched twice on DVD, and twice on regular television. I can't say it's my fave movie, but I did enjoy it. Happy Sunday! RO

Caty said...

Dirty dancing !! Yesss, I love this movie Elizabeth !! Thanks so much for sharing. I think I´ve seen it four times, at least, and love it, it´s a so beautiful story. Music for ever !! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪
I wish you a very happy afternoon,
Bi big hugs, Caty

Lowcarb team member said...

"Many critics hated the movie. They thought it was not worth the money, was a dog, and that it wouldn't even break even. Turns out they were wrong because it was one of the highest grossing films of 1987. It also won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Grammy, in addition to the sales from the soundtrack."

LOL! What do critics know!

All the best Jan