Sunday, December 2, 2018

Second on the 2nd: How your rubber is made


This is an OLD post.  It's from January, 2010, but it hearkens back to April, 2007.  Many of you who have been here for awhile know two of the people I mention in the post.  One is my shop-a-holic friend Kathy, the other is Theresa, the lady with the pink hair who lives in Tennessee.  At the time, she didn't have pink hair though.  Theresa spent a week with me in April, 2007, and I had put this trip together with another friend who also wanted to meet Theresa.  We all met on the ABC Yahoo Group and it was great we could get together in person, not just on the internet.  Kathy and I had planned to show Theresa who is a rubber stamping guru and fanatic, a place in town called River City Rubber.  I've removed the link to River City Rubber, because although it appears to be the logo for the establishment, it doesn't appear to show anything stamp wise.  Before we begin, you might recall how I mentioned the red barn on Sally's and my way home from the pumpkin patch.





This is the "Barn" which was once known as River City Rubber.  The smaller building to the back right was where their stamps were made.  Here is our outing I call

How is your rubber made?

In April, 2007, three of my ABC yahoo group friends and I got together. It was supposed to be a get together to celebrate Theresa coming to Wichita, but it turned into a birthday celebration for me. I was totally surprised and blown away by the surprise.

However, this post is not about a two year old birthday memory, but how rubber stamps are made. Before a stamping company called River City Rubber or RCR (those of you who stamp have probably heard of it) had to move from the place they had occupied for more than a few years, they were located at what was called "The Barn." RCR is owned and operated by sisters Dana, LeAnne, and Mary. At the time, they all even lived in the barn.

I lost all my photos when my hard drive died a couple of months ago, but I was fortunate enough to have stored these photos on a Yahoo group site. These were taken by me and copied from Yahoo. Those of you who don't know about Yahoo, they store photos in a standard thumbnail, large, and larger size. I copied each in the largest size that Yahoo allowed. I'm not sure how much larger they will get if you click on them, but I hope you enjoy the tour as much as I did, hopefully with photos you will be able to enlarge.

From left, are Celia from Great Bend, KS; Kathy from Hutchinson, KS; and Theresa from Clarksville, TN. In the background is the sign pointing the way to The Barn, and the "shop" where the rubber is made.

When we got there, there was nothing but rubber stamps. I mean they were everywhere. There must have been a gazillion or more. OK, a bit of an exaggeration, perhaps, but more stamps than I have ever seen in my entire life. It was overwhelming, inspiring and totally unlike anything I had envisioned. While looking at rubber stamps, we told Dana DeCicco, one of the sisters who run the store, about our venture. She called the "shop" (about 100 yards from the barn) and we were given a tour of where they make the rubber stamps. You can see a tiny bit of the red "shop" in the background of the first photo.

The three stampers (Celia, Kathy, and Theresa) all ordered unmounted rubber stamps (UMs). I had forgotten you could get UMs there, since their main focus at that time was mounted. As a bonus, their rubber order was made that day with us watching. Now how cool was that?

Entering the shop was pretty low key. It was a small operation at that time, and I have no idea what it's like now that they have moved. Here Theresa, and Celia behind her, have entered the shop. I stopped to take a photo of the order board, which is the first thing you see when you enter. The cat box on the floor says it all.

Dana showed us the etched plates used to make the rubber. These they buy. Please don't ask me where, I don't remember and didn't write anything down that day. The shelves in the background are filled with wood mounted stamps that are waiting to be shipped or sold in the store. If Dana's name sounds familiar, it's because she has been on HGTV's Carol Duvall show (ED: a dead link, so I removed it.  Also note the cat in the background, along with one of the workers preparing the rubber).

While we were waiting for the press (or oven) to heat to the proper temperature, Theresa spotted one of the rescue cats that lived there. She almost took it back to Tennessee with her. Mary, one of the sisters, looks on in the background.


Mary, in back, Dana (in the middle with back to the camera), Kathy's arm, and Celia, examine the remaining components needed to make a rubber stamp. One side is flat, one side has the image plate, and the unpressed rubber is sandwiched in the middle.

Dana (on right) explains the process that is about to happen and how hot the press needs to be in order to get a good impression, while Celia watches the setup (Ed: I noticed the slide mount necklace Kathy made for each of us).

In this photo, one of the workers places the rubber on one of the plates now that the temperature of the press has heated sufficiently. The plate is then inserted into the hot press (oven) shown on the right. Note the heavy heat resistant gloves she is wearing. This press gets extremely hot, but I forgot what the final temperature was.

After pressing, the plate is removed from the press and the rubber is removed from the HOT plate. Rubber and plate are very hot and the rubber is quite malleable at this point. The piece had been in the press for several minutes before it was removed.

When the rubber is cool, a worker accurately cuts the rubber using an electric scroll saw.  Kathy (left), Theresa in center, Celia on the far right and I watch with fascination.


LeAnne (one of the sisters) is working on the machine that makes labels for the wooden blocks. The disk that LeAnne is using must also be purchased. Mary on the far right explains the process.

In this photo, Dana shows and tells us about the machine that LeAnne (not seen in photo) is using to stamp the image onto the wooden blocks. Each plate costs $10,000. I can see why it would be advantageous to sell only UMs. From left is Theresa, Kathy, and Dana.

From there, the blocks go to the same worker who had cut the rubber.  She now carefully adheres the rubber to the block, precisely lining up the stamp to the image.

I hope you enjoyed this little tour through "The Barn," although it no longer exists as a rubber stamper's paradise. I also hope you found learning how rubber stamps are made was as fascinating to you as it was to me.

___________________________________________________

Now that you've seen mine, it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.








However, some of you may be aware that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  I chose a Favorite Season for this spread.  Today it is April Showers.

I'm fairly certain I'm the world's worst stamper.  I'm going to blame it on the one inch dye ink stamp pad that I tried to use.  Even with huffing and puffing, it was like trying to drain the ocean using a teaspoon.

These little girls' faces have always been distorted and I think that may be why I dug the stamp out of the clearance bin.

I spent a great amount of time coloring the little girls, although I have absolutely NO makers or watercolors that are flesh colored.

I can't read it, either, but it makes a great background stamp if you aren't showcasing it like I am today.

The nameplate stamp was the best of the bunch, stampwise.  I assure you, I did NOT pay $12.75 for the V-mail stamp.

I add Wacky Tac (a product no longer sold) to the back of all my UMs.  If I have a block the size of the UM,

I will probably stick it on, as I have done here to the back of the V-mail stamp.

Thank you for joining Bleubeard and me today with your Second on the 2nd and we also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.

20 thoughtful remarks:

kathyinozarks said...

The wind is howling here like crazy so can't sleep-lol
I really enjoyed this post-I would have really enjoyed this adventure you had with friends and learning how they made rubber stamps-very fun!
I also love your april showers page-with great stamps!
Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

How interesting to visit a place where they make rubber stamps. you must have had fun. Nice journal page, too. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

chrissie said...

Such an interesting post Elizabeth-never thought of how the stamps were made but now I know. Love that Theresa found the cat and held it with her as she looked around

Thank you for hosting this post and Happy second showing

Love Chrissie xx

sheila 77 said...

Like Chrissie I had never thought of how the stamps were made. What a great post with all your photos and descriptions. Of course it was enhanced by the addition of the cat. I wonder how they make rubber stamps now, do they still use an etching plate? - possibly not.
I do like your April Showers, this scene is far from here as it is a dreich day, but I don't mind a good gloom. You made me laugh about using a one-inch stamp pad, even the best stamper in the world would find it difficult to get a perfect image using that. I am joining you in being the second worst stamper but as my stamped images are mostly meant to be distressed (haha!) then that it alright.
Have a great day, Elizabeth, and hope to see you again soon.

froebelsternchen said...

Such an interesting second look dear Elizabeth! I enjoyed the tour! Thank you! Your page is so lovely made too!
A great idea and so well fitting the second look post!
Happy Sunday !
Happy AJJ!
Happy Second on the 2nd!
Hugs, Susi

Rike said...

I enjoyed this tour through "The Barn," although it no longer exists as a rubber stamper's paradise, what a pity! Learning how rubber stamps are made now was very fascinating to me, thank you, dear Elizabeth!
I love your april showers page - stamping seems more difficult for me as painting!
Wish you a happy Sunday! Rike xx

Helen said...

Fascinating tour of the barn and the stamp making process (I knew a little of this as I know some people who manufacture their own stamps - Paperartsy!)

Glad you enjoyed the bonus trip to Kew yesterday! still confused that you think there used not to be grass round the Parterre beds, as they never remove the grass when they replant the beds each season.. could I be confusing you with other areas they remodel maybe? anyway, no matter, glad you enjoyed the day!

Meggymay said...

It was a super post to read for your re-visit, I would have been interested to see how the stamps were made as well.
Your page looks fantastic, I love background stamps and yours look super.The little girl stamp looks good to me, I think they may have a scowl on their faces because its raining. They look a real cute.
I have wooden stamps that don't stamp up with a crisp image[I used some on my page today] and quite like the effect they give.
Yvonne xx

Darla said...

Don't remember this one. It was very interesting to see and read about the behind the scenes of rubber stamps. I like the stamp of the girls.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never thought about how rubber stamps are made. That was a really interesting process. How cool to get a stamp made while you wait. The little girls with the umbrella makes a cute rubber stamp. It's raining again so I've had quite enough of April showers this Autumn

Lisca said...

How interesting to visit a rubber stamp factopry. And thank you for sharing it with us. Like others, I had never thought about how stamps were made. I enjoyed the tour. It's a shame the barn no longer operates as a stamp shop. Have they moved? or gone out of business?
I use stamps that cling to an acrylic block. They are mostly not made of rubber. (I don't know what they are made of).
Your page about the rainy season is cute. The children's expression made me smile. They are obviously not happy to be standing in the rain, lol.
Enjoy your Sunday,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

It's nice to have such wonderful memories to look back on. And look at you, making new memories every day :)

Sandra Cox said...

What a wonderful time and wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.
YOU (and Bleubeard) enjoy your Sunday:)

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an interesting little trip! I have had all sorts of problems writing my post today! Just could get to show the whole post and then everything shifted to the side !!! I think it looks OK now though! I love your April showers page - much better than the grey days we keep getting!! I will be joining in with AJJ as soon as I can get a decent light for photos!! Hugs, Chrisx

Caty said...

Woww I´ve enjoyed your tour so much dear Elizabeth !! Thank you very much for sharing those so beautiful photographs with us. This is a so interesting place for visiting no doublt. Love this beautiful cat. This day may have been unique for you.
I love love your Art journal page, it´s amazing, lovely stamps, lovely season!!
I wish you a very nice new week, big hugs, Caty
Take care, and a big kiss to your lovely cats!!

My name is Erika. said...

I have that little girl stamp and I love it. I enjoy this company's fun take, and how lucky you got to visit them and see the whole process. I was always curious exactly how they made the stamps. (or I should say the process in general) It is too bad they (like so many cool stamp companies) have closed down. I didn't know they were from Wichita. So I am glad you were able to use that stamp (as well as others) and make this great page for AJJ. And I am also glad you shared this with us. Happy Dec. 2 Hugs-Erika

johanna said...

i´m happy you repeated this post as i did not see it when published long ago.
super interesting - would love to have such a tour through a stamp company!
i soon went over to buy unmounted (if possible, not all companies do that), just because i knew i would run out of space in no time. a good decision;)
have a great week, elizabeth!

Sharon Madson said...

Oh, my goodness! I remember River City, and miss them. I both purchased their stamps and attended their classes. And I have that two girls and the parasol stamp. I bought it because it reminded me of my sister and I. Pretty page. Happy 2nd! I forgot, even though you reminded us, and I get the email about the post so late!

Jeanie said...

What an interesting visit! And I really love your page, whether you say you are world's worst stamper or not!

Thanks for popping by today! Or probably yesterday -- I've been off for a couple of days!

craftytrog said...

It's a wonderful page, and those little girls certainly have a lot of character in their faces! :-)
Alison xx