Monday, December 31, 2018

365 Day Art Challenge: week 52 and a taste of summer



Here are my collages for Week 52.  This 365 something project was created in part and hosted by Hanna at i Hanna.  

In case you missed them, here are Week 51's collages.  All my collages are 4" X 4" (10,16 cm X 10,16 cm).

This is the final week of this project.  There were times I wanted to quit.  Making the art was the easy part when it came to the time factor.  The hard part was scanning, cropping (sometimes badly), uploading, and captioning these.  I believe I spent more time getting these on the blog than I did making them.  But I'm certainly glad you stuck with me, regardless.

I did something a bit different this week and tried to work in series.

Just a bite

Reflect

Good advice

Blue invasion 1

Blue invasion 2

New world trilogy

Above the fray
If you have been playing in Hanna's 365 Something project, and although it's a bit late, please let me know and I will be by to see what you are making.  Please let me know if you like any of these.  As always, I am extremely grateful for your continued support of this project and my art.  Again, I'm thrilled you stuck with me through this project and collaboration.

But that's not all.  Since Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month,


today summer food is on our minds.


We are sharing the Tastes of Summer, the title of this spread.


I'm sure by now, everyone knows I can't draw.  It's just not in my wheelhouse.


However, I got to thinking how hard could it be to draw a slice of watermelon?


Apparently pretty hard, because I did a lousy job, although they might pass for abstract watermelon slices.


For this page, I began by laying down a water soluble crayon on the 110 lb. card stock substrate.  I found this Chicago style hot dog in a magazine and affixed it using glue stick.    

To make the watermelon slices, I first swiped a green bingo dabber on a white background, then added a tiny bit of pink watercolor pencil.  Finally, I swiped a red bingo dabber in a triangle shape and cut to size.  I got a bit carried away when I used my metallic ink pen to create the seeds.  

I decided to use the extra watermelon slice as my background for the words I wrote by hand.  I realized the watermelon slices didn't stand out like they should, so I ran my black ink pen around the outside of each slice, as well as the sentiment.  I have to admit this is possibly my least favorite entry I have posted this month.  Please feel free to laugh at this entry, but don't bother telling me I can't draw, because I KNOW I can't!

And since my summertime tasty treat was NOT a spread I was proud of,

I decided to create another one.  I already had the background painted because the Humboldt Penguin is located on the opposite page.

This one is a bit confused.   It's not sure if it's a Valentine, a patriotic,

or a Christmas entry.

What it DOES know is "Tis the season,"
 
and Bleubeard's and my theme at Art Journal Journey.  For this spread, I started with a page I had painted earlier with lavender acrylic craft paint.  To that I added the focal image found as part of a card.  I added the hearts on each side of the card and called it acceptable.

Bleubeard and I are so happy you chose to join us today and, and even though this is the final day of this monthly challenge, we hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey.  Bleubeard and I will be by at 4 pm (CST) to share a bit of T and a final
Art Journal Journey entry.  Don't forget to dig up your second on the 2nd post.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Elizabeth you have done a splendid job in continuing with the 365 DAC anything with such a large number would scare me off from the start. I admire anyone that can commit themselves to such a challenge and deliver each day.
It's been great to catch up with those week in view blogs, I hope you have enjoyed creating as much as everyone has enjoyed your time sharing your creativity.
Your Tis the Season card has a very clever twist, a card for many seasons one I think we all need in our stash.
Wishing you all the best for 2019 and much more creativity to see. Here's to health and happiness.. Happy New Year!!
Hugs Tracey xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of wonderful pieces today. Well done on finishing the job with 365 somethings. Have a great day, Valerie

Meggymay said...

A huge congratulations Elizabeth, you did it.... 52 weeks of your daily art collages and each week you have shared your fantastic work with us. From this weeks selection it is just as difficult to say one appeals to me most but as I love bright colours I was drawn to the New World Trilogy.
I would also happily grab a slice of the watermelon from your journal page if I could. It is a fabulous Taste of Summer page.
Your other page is a fantastic celebration page and you have it covered for a few seasons of the year.
Yvonne xx

aussie aNNie said...

Wishing you and your lovely family a magical New Year and a healthy one too..big hugs.xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge. My favorite this week is Blue Invasion 2. I'm not only looking forward to a Taste of Summer, but to the temps of Summer. Your 'Tis the Season made me chuckle. Perfect for someone who wants to get all the holidays of the year done in one swell foop! Enjoy your day

Halle said...

That's some skill being able to combine those challenges. :)
Happy last day of 2018!

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely tedious tasks for sure, but the overall project was so delightful to see- I applaud you that you carried on and finished with gusto! Very cool final pieces!
Thank you dear Elizabeth for your visit and lovely words!
I wish many blessings and creativity for you in the New year ahead!
hugs for you and Bleubeard!
Jackie xo

kathyinozarks said...

I have really enjoyed your Monday 365 series-I can see where this would have been very time consuming but I think this is one of my favorites. I enjoyed the collages very much.
and your Tis the season is perfect for summer.
Happy Monday hugs Kathy

Cindy McMath said...

Well you’ve certainly had a busy December! I have enjoyed your AJJ entries, and of course your 365 Somethings! I’m glad you stuck with it too! I love this week’s entries. This might be my favourite group and I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite. I”ve certainly admired your clever titles all year long. I sometimes don’t even name my paintings, so to me coming up with a title for each 365 collage was really impressive!

I”ve also enjoyed your AJJ entries, and this week is no exception. I’m not sure why you don’t like the hotdog page. I think it looks good enough to eat, and I liked the watermelon slices in the background. The other one is fun too, and I think hearts are always in season!

Happy New Year to you and the boys!

Cindy

Divers and Sundry said...

I have enjoyed going through this with you and have been looking at some ways to encourage my own artistic thoughts in the coming year. I've enjoyed the variety shared by you and other participants :) I've subscribed to a few blogs and Youtube channels for inspiration and direction.

I think I'd have been tempted to take photos of the art and post the photos ;)

See you later for T.

sheila 77 said...

First of all, Elizabeth, thanks so much for your kind New Year greetings on my blog, what a lovely surprise this morning. I hope you and the boys have an absolutely marvellous 2019.

No more Monday collages! I'll miss them a lot but I understand perfectly. Frequently I spend much more time taking photographs, cropping etc. and writing the blogpost than making the art. I've enjoyed your collages and the fabulously chosen titles so much.

Now then, what is this "I can't draw" stuff!!!!! Anyone who sees your painting of a watermelon will see you have painted a watermelon. It is your very own painting of a watermelon and nobody else's so it is a good painting. I love your watermelon slices and your "Tastes of Summer" art.

Lots of love,
Sheila

Words and Pictures said...

I'm a big fan of pairs, trios and series (as you've seen with my pages at AJJ!) so I loved seeing this collection of collages. Huge congratulations on making it through the entire year - wow! - and congrats also on an amazing haul of journalling pages for your theme this month. I've not seen every single one, but I've visited lots of them, and there have been so many seasonal delights along the way. Your festive final page is a real treat - love the soft blues of the background and those fabulous wooden planks. Thanks so much for all the creative fun in December, and a very happy New Year to you.
Alison x

kaybee said...

Dear Elizabeth, wishing you a very happy and creative New Year. Kay. xxx

froebelsternchen said...

OMG! Grande finale today with the 365 something challenge and with Art Journal Journey's collection of December! Today I can't pick any favourite - I simply love all!
You did such a perfect job in finishing the 365 something collages and you did a unique job with much hard work and love for AJJ this month and the whole last year! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!
Best regards for the New Year my friend! Health, happiness and success should be your and the boy's companions!
Big hugs, Susi

Sandra Cox said...

I'm back...or will be tomorrow:)
I love Taste of Summer. Purrfect. I'm just biding my time till I see Spring flowers. On the upside, my Christmas Roses are ready to bloom:)
Thank you for all your kind thoughts and sentiments, dear Elizabeth.
You are much appreciated.
Wishing you much joy in the coming year.

Sandra Cox said...

PS. That's a veggie dog, right? Heh. Heh.

My name is Erika. said...

Ok I want to say I like your watermelon. They are way more interesting than perfect watermelon. And I like the patriotic holiday page too. And how did you like working in a series? These 4x4 pieces are as good as ever. Wishing you a wonderful start to 2019. I hope you have a fantastic new year and some more drawing/painting "watermelon" pieces. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

A wonderful final set of collages for the challenge Elizabeth! I've loved seeing them every week, with such great captions too! Congratulations on getting to the end! I still don't know whether I will do this for 2019, it's such a big commitment, although I did enjoy making my teabag art throughout the year. Thanks for all of your support and comments.
And, you created a wonderful, summery food page! It looks delicious! I love the festive page too, with that patriotic banner.
Alison xox

Jeanie said...

I so admire, more than you know, your dedication to the 365 day challenge, your remarkable output and its quality. That takes a good deal of commitment and I really applaud that!

Thanks, too, for your recent visits and all the wonderful comments you put on my most recent posts. I am humbled by all the nice things you said.

Here is to a creative, fun, happy and productive 2019. I wish you much joy in the new year -- and, for that matter, always!