Wednesday, October 3, 2018

I know visitors don't believe me, but . . .


Many of my eastern U.S. and European internet friends are showing beautiful autumn images, while telling how chilly it has been where they live.  Here it has been hot (low 90s F/ mid 30s C), windy, and dry.  We've come close to setting or actually tying all time records for the past week.  Today I thought I would show my sad back patio and my yard, or what's left of it after the heat and drought of the summer.  Autumn, PLEASE come to visit soon!!

This is my sad back patio looking into the back yard.  Not the beautiful site or sight I see on many blogs. 

Just so you know I really DID take these photos yesterday, I have my phone as proof.

Some of my herbs are doing better than others.   From left: cilantro/coriander, fennel, spearmint, rosemary, pineapple mint.

My dill died out, then came back.  I'm hoping to have enough because I use it in and on everything.  Losing the earlier batch was devastating and a very big dill.

From left: orange mint, dill, ???, cilantro/coriander, fennel.

I could use your help identifying this.  I planted it this spring, and it has grown so tall, the wind has knocked it over.

It now appears to be getting little red berries in the center.  My friend Scott said it was a weed, but I swear I planted the seeds this spring.




The last herb sits on the blue cart and is my beloved lavender, the only one I was able to save of the five I purchased last year.   Yes, that's my phone on the table.

I tried to take a shot of the trees in others' yards, so you would know that not just mine were still green and showing no signs of turning colors.   The sun was so bright, I  couldn't tell what I was shooting, so the tree in my neighbors yard appears to have turned pink, as has my house.

I've severely cut back my front flower bed in preparation of planting new flowers and plants next year.



Looking to my other neighbors yard, you can see the trees and grass are still green and showing no signs of autumn here.  Now I must bring my trash container to the side of the house before the wind takes it down the street.

Thanks for visiting today and thanks for understanding how very summery it still is in my world.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I believed you! hope someone can identify your mystery plant for you.

Valerie-Jael said...

I wish I could send you some chill winds and rain over, together with some colourful foliage, but I'm afraid that's not possible. We had frost in the night. Valerie

craftytrog said...

We had a glorious week of weather for our holiday, and it's only just turning chillier here with temperatures in the sixties. Still having to water the herbs and tomatoes we planted. Hope your dill starts flourishing again soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your herbs. I adore dill too. Plans to plant next year. Still sorting out the garden and deciding what to plant going forward. This was our first big year for veg, so now we have a handle on what comes next.

I popped on the heat this morning for 10 minutes. Cold and rainy. Can't believe you are in a heat wave. I would rather a jacket than that though. Hope it abates soon. xox

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the view of your garden. I can't tell what kind of plant that is. Send the heat and I'll send you the rain and cool weather.

My name is Erika. said...

It does still look like summer in your world. In a way I am jealous because here summer feels so far off. And so long to get back there. But I know how tiring the high dry temperatures can be, and I understand your want for some cooler weather. Hope it cools off soon. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Still so hot ? Unbelievable! Here is already frost in the night!
A beautiful view of your garden and your herbs are fabulous.
Could this be a goji berry ?! But am not good with herbs as you know.

Happy day!
Hugs, Susi

Sami said...

Really quite warm for this time of the year, but we too seem to be experiencing different weather patterns. It should be a lot warmer in Perth as we have just entered the second month of Spring, but we have a warm day and the next day will be cold and windy and wet. Just tonight we are expecting a big storm with 90km/h winds.
Can't help with what you planted, but I feel your pain with the herbs that dried out, we get a lot of that with our herbs and veggies in Summer even though they get watered and are mostly under shade.

Caty said...

I love your plants Elizabeth, they are so beautiful, and your back yard is gorgeous, you can plant what ever you want !! I live in a flat at the town, I have some plants inside, and some at the kitchen window too, three aloe vera, they are beautiful and useful. What beautiful trees, and yes, you are right, they are not showing any signs of autumn there at your place. Here at the south of Spain, the temperature are similar as yours, and I always ask for some rain!! I hope winter will come soon, because Autumn is too short.
Your back yard is wonderful, this bird cage so lovely, and I like your phone too. Thank you very much for sharing these fabulous photographs with us.
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes, that's how it is here, too. We're getting some browning, and everything looks exhausted from summer heat, but no gorgeous Autumn color. I doubt we'll get any since it's been so dry.

I'm wanting fennel for next year, if I still remember by then ;) Your herbs are still lookin' good.

Crystal Collier said...

I hear you about the heat! We took the kids to SeaWorld last week, and it was 97 degrees. Now, I'm okay with hot, but for late September, I was ready to tell the weather it had better get itself in check, because that just wouldn't do.

Marfi-topia said...

Sorry about your weather.
I've never really experienced fall color here in the desert.
We've had a bit of a storm here so it's slightly cooler than normal at the moment.
I hope you get your autumn soon!!
lol at your dill joke:D
hugs!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; frankly I think your yard is awesome; especially photo one. when it's 2 degrees outside with a wind chill of minus 40; this blog post will be a WELCOME SITE !!!!!..da tabbies send best fishez two bleu N squiggles ♥♥♥☺☺☺

Meggymay said...

I believed you. I saw how the hot weather we had here in the summer effected our garden, so I can imaging how dried out your must be
Your garden looks so neat and tidy and it looks like you still have some herb plants that are healthy to use.
Autumn will arrive for you sometime soon.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Well I did enjoy seeing the various photo's of your garden.
Yes, you are definitely still green!

I'm sure Autumn will arrive for you soon - well I certainly hope it does.

Take Care

All the best Jan

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I feel your pain. September and October are our warmest months here in San Francisco after freezing all summer. And I want fall!!!!

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE your yard, rustic and reminds me of a child and how mum and dad provided for us after coming to Australia from war worn Poland after the war...love this...a real haven for the birds I think.xx

Rita said...

And we've had freezing weather already. Supposed to get down to 28 degrees tonight! I hope you get some cooler weather soon.

I really love your big tree by the driveway. Such character! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I do totally understand how the weather can change a garden- with the long period without rain here this year and seeing and walking on crisp brown grass was strange for us!It has strangely grown back thicker and greener apart from one small patch! There are still lots of green trees around but the oaks, maples and acers are really showing their colour! Sorry can't help with the plant ID! Hugs,Chrisx