Thursday, August 23, 2018

What is LOVE?


How do you define the word love?  Are you heterosexual like me, or are you part of the LGBT community? 

It doesn't matter if you are, because you are and always will be my friend.  I am SO blessed to have friends whose love still runs as deep and genuine as mine does.

I don't put labels on people,

but look at and put everyone on an equal plane with everyone else. Some good news may be there is a transgender female (the T in LGBT) running for governor of Vermont.

However, some of my LGBT friends don't get the same kind of respect we give to heterosexuals.

They are seldom represented in art, unless it is "outsider art."

Today I invite you

to pair 

couples however you see fit.

They won't like you any less, regardless how you pair them.

After all, they are just paper images!


For this page, I began by framing a sheet of white 110 lb card stock with old green stamps (these didn't seem to be S & H, but rather United trading stamps).  Next, I used an image from one of my magazines and sewed the page in place.  I have this funky stamp set I used for the first time ever and stamped the word "LOVE."  Finally I added the dimensional positive words that one might say to a friend or a partner.

I realize this is a bit outside my regular posting and may be outside some people's comfort zone, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.  Bleubeard and I are honored and happy you joined us today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, where my theme is Count your blessings
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Very thoughtful page, everyone deserves to be loved as he/she is. Have a great day, Valerie

Sami said...

Nice page Elizabeth. And there can be so many other types of love - for your kids, for your family, for your friends...

kathyinozarks said...

nice page and theme-Love is special-so many ways to love and be loved

both of my eucalyptus leaves and also cut up and sifted-came from frontier coop they are both organic but doesn't mention anything in the description or on the label about glycerin being added-another thing for me to find out about eucalyptus and I know there are just so many varities-some are round these were harvested in spain

Meggymay said...

A thoughtful page today Elizabeth. I really believe love manifests itself in many ways and once found can last forever.
So my thoughts on gender, everyone has the right to be happy in themselves, how they feel is personal and folk should not judge. Going back not to long ago these matters were hushed up, not talked about hidden. Still to today some folk will talk in whispers. But, hey, I am pleased I live in an age where we can respect folk for who they are, and hope everyone can find the love they deserve. Rant over.
Oh and I mustn't forget to say your page is fantastic. I won't pair the couples, they are free to choose their partners and find love.
Yvonne xx
Yvonne xx

Dortesjs said...

a very thoughtful page. ;O))

My name is Erika. said...

This is an amazing page and a fantastic message. Love in any form is blessing, and it doesn't matter whether you love the same sex or the opposite sex. The important part of that idea is the love. I like how you put 2 girls an 2 guys and left it us to up to couple them together. Thanks for passing on this important message. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

We are more alike than we are different. Celebrate that for life would otherwise be boring.

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful page and sentiment Elizabeth. Love is love after all!

Caterina Giglio said...

Dr. E!!!!!! I adore this!! Brilliant and so well done! Highly graphic and says so much.. what a great post and wonderful art.. x

froebelsternchen said...

I am totally in awe of the wonderful page and the wonderful message Elizabeth! LOVE - true LOVE is the most precious thing we have. And LOVE is the most important thing of all no matter whom we fall in love with, it is always a gift. Gender and sexual orientation do not matter. I feel blessed to live today and same-sex sexuality and same-sex marriage is allowed in my country. But it is sad that still governments discriminate against people in love here on our planet.

What a wonderful entry for your theme my friend!
Happy Thursday!

Big hugs,
Susi

( Sept. is already scheduled except of the linky)

CJ Kennedy said...

A thought provoking page. Love is the same. Inside we are all Human Beings

Caty said...

Your art journal page is wonderful Elizabeth !! I love the background with those stamps, great idea. I really like the faces with the messages that you have added, and I agree with your words. I also think that we have to see others just as people who are , and not label them because of their sexual inclination, it is a serious mistake, and, as with almost everything, it is a matter of education. It is true that times have changed a lot, and we must continue to make progress in this regard. For me, love is respect, support and tolerance, in every way
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugs, Caty

Lowcarb team member said...

Live, laugh, love … I do like this.
A thoughtful page and post.
I think we all deserve to be loved.

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

Friends are indeed a blessing. Another great piece.

kathyinozarks said...

i have always admired Wright's work too-let me know how you like the book if you end up reading it.
I had to look up glycerin and eucalyptus to understand-that's pretty cool way to preserve them on the stems-so thanks for that.
I am almost thinking the eucalyptus would give reds when fresh-plus the right species too-

da tabbies o trout towne said...

ever wonder what type of society we would live in,
if all people were the same as their non human
counter-parts ~~

animals don't judge; they just....accept ~~~ ♥♥♥

Rita said...

Totally agree. Love is love. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

I think you and Yvonne sum it up beautifully! We should love without judgement and accept others just the way they are 😀. Lovely page and sentiment! Wishing you a great day! J 😊 x

Divers and Sundry said...

Amen! And amen!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am on huge catch up (for various reasons) and I am pleased to be reading this the day after attending our Gay Pride parade! It must have been one of the longest ever - we haven't been for ages though so don't really know. It was great to see the crowds lining the route and to see the floats and walkers too! Our reason for going was that my gay son was on one of the floats but guess what? I missed him and T spotted him after the float had gone past!! It is going to be my T Post as I took loads of photos! You have touched my heart with this post dear Elizabeth! Hugs, Chrisx

Isobe Ltin said...

I am SO blessed to have friend like you.
meet and greet at Manchester

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Very thought-provoking page, Elizabeth. If we all loved and accepted without judging, the world would be a far better place.

Jackie PNeal said...

A very thoughtful page, that I truly Love- for the graphics and design as well as your thoughts behind this. I think fewer and fewer folks would say this is out of their comfort zone. I see a change-a very good one. Because we have to- we have to become more empathetic,more accepting,more genuine,non-judgemental,tolerant and respectful. Who are we to be any different- who are we to think we are better?
Anyway, I love the artwork and I loved your post and as you can see, you struck a chord with me- thank you for telling it like it is!
hugs,Jackie