Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Space


As you know Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  My theme is Count your blessings.

I can't begin to tell you how blessed I am to have modern conveniences like refrigerator freezers.  It may sound strange to us, but can you imagine having no electricity and having to cart huge blocks of ice to keep our food and drinks cold in iceboxes?

I am also blessed to live in a time when we are still enjoying space exploration.  Yes, I would gladly travel to the stars and beyond.

I can't imagine what it was like in Copernicus's time

when critical thinking was that everything in the universe revolved around the earth, rather than our sun.

It's obvious I have two blessings here, one of which represents modern appliances

and the other which is our ability to study and explore outer space.

The stars and galaxies

align perfectly, at least in my world.

For this page, I began with a sheet of white 110 lb card stock, to which I spritzed gold and green handmade shimmering mists.  I hoped it looked like a galaxy.  Over the background, I added a refrigerator freezer from a magazine.  This particular appliance has a door that you can see through.  I removed it and added a background of a galaxy and a TH paper doll.  I added the postage stamp which was issued in 1973 on the 500th anniversary of Copernicus's birth.  Lastly, I added computer generated texts that read "Space saver" and "Space cadet."

Bleubeard and I are honored you joined us today as I shared my latest AJJ blessings.  As always, we hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, where my theme is Count your blessings

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, love the background. Have a great day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love this background - it really represents a galaxy and the gold looks sooo good! I love how you brought your thoughts perfectly on this page! Gorgeous! I am with you about the blessing of living nowadays and having modern comforts. You are so right!
Another wonderful idea and page Elizabeth! I am blessed with you! Thank you my friend!
Happy Day!
Hugs, Susi

My name is Erika. said...

I like the gold and silver background. It looks like stars scattered in the sky. And nice connection between appliances and stars. I do often think about how hard life must have been in past times, especially when people talk about the good old days. It is in many ways a good time to live. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the background. Like Nebulae. Not only am I thankful for a spacious refrigerator, but also thankful for cyberspace and the friendships made there.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wowser - love those splashes of gold and green! Certainly agree with this being a blessing too! Sorry I haven't entered more but suffering with a trapped nerve in my arm and wrist ! This has been a great topic ! Away with GKs for a couple of days so I will be going 'quiet' Hugs, Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Cool background, Elizabeth. It does look like a galaxy. The page if very thought-provoking.

Caty said...

This Art page is wonderful Elizabeth !! So so lovely background, it brights like the real stars, amazing splashes ! You´re right, it´s a blessing to have fridges. Very beautiful the Space cadet !! lovely. This stamp is very beautiful too. Great Art !
Very nice day to you, big hugs, Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

Mother used to tell me about their ice box and ice delivery when she was growing up. We even called our fridge the ice box when I was growing up. Even if we wanted to I don't know how we'd go about getting regular ice deliveries. Electricity. Ya gotta love it :)

I'd go into Space in a heartbeat, but they wouldn't take me. Alas :( But I've lived to see people on the moon, and I count that as a blessing.

Anonymous said...

We are most fortunate to live in this time, you are right. We take those modern conveniences for granted. Space, yes I remember being that kind in awe of what we created with the space programs, now the universe seems attainable, at least with telescopes anyway. xox

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous shimmer mist background and your page is awesome, I can imagine a starry sky when I saw it.
I also love the additions, it could be that today's children may explore further into space, what will they find there.
I agree with you about taking for granted modern appliances. We use a generator when we are in the caravan if there is no electricity. When its on I can use the Laptop. The fridge, cooker and heating are run on bottled gas.
Its a real treat to go to a site that we can plug in to the electricity.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

I love how you connected our contemporary space exploration to Copernicus and the little boy is wonderful. I love the palette here, too, Elizabeth.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rita said...

Yes, we are certainly blessed by modern appliances and technology.
With all we have learned about space in the last hundred years it makes you wonder what we might learn in the next hundred. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful gold splatters, love this amazing pages...

Cindy McMath said...

Oh I really like this page Elizabeth. I like the way you tied these seemingly disparate concepts together. And I am with you on the modern conveniences that electricity brings. We are so fortunate! I’ll let you do the space travel - although I agree I’ve are fortunate to still be learning about what’s out there, it is never something I’ve thought I’dlike to do. :) I was also really impressed how I could see the sparkle in your shimmering mists in these photos!

Mia said...

Great page, Elizabeth.
I cannot imaging my life without electricity. Hugs, my friend.