Saturday, June 23, 2018

Marilyn


Sometimes we are inspired by a person, and other times we are inspired by the various materials we find to work with.  Today I'm once again joining Gill at Gibby Froggett Craftations, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her Inspired by theme. 

In my stash, I found these playing cards of Marilyn Monroe, which inspired me to create this spread I have now added to my large art journal. 

I considered using Bernie Taupin's lyrics that began with "Goodbye Norma Jean" (Candles in the Wind, 1973)

then decided I liked her quote even better.

I can't exactly say I'm inspired by Marilyn,

because she was a tortured soul, often used by others,

became a sex symbol, used and confused sex for love, and often felt uncared for, even by those who gave her unquestioning love.


If only Marilyn had actually lived by her words!

I found these playing cards in my stash, so decided it was time to use them.  I painted the used file folder with two colors, then added the cards and sentiment.  Next, I added the stenciling, which took forever because the stencil was so small.  As a final element, I found a metal wire I formed in the shape of a number 6.

Thank you for dropping by and spending time with me today.  Please don't forget to meet me at Art Journal Journey today, too!

I also have some really, really good news, too. 

As I was preparing to mow this evening,

look what I found in my "flower bed."  The severe cutting of the rose bush seems to have worked wonders!


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page. My big sister was a Marilyn fan, I never was. Glad to see that rose blooming, that's great. Have a wonderful weekend, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I love your journal page-but I really really love your roses-i planted several high quality rose bushes when we first moved here but they all died on me-the weather here is just so up and down I think.
I hope you have a chance to see the movie I posted It is really a good one, loved the acting and the message.
I am not a big movie watcher either and not sure if I have 10 movies in me or not I kinda just go week to week

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful Marilyn Monroe page - I think she was just such a beautiful and talented but so unhappy person - such a sad fate.
So many artists suffer depressions. She seemed to be so unhappy, I think this is so sad! I love not just the lovely composed page with Marilyn's words added ( so sad as well - you are right) but I also love the background and I can see that you were also inspired by the lovely color of your beautiful blooming roses for the background of the page!
Have a great weekend my dear Co.-Admin!
Thank you for another fab page liked to the collection!
I have a lot of work today - guests and Christian ..but a nice time here! Big hugs, Susi

Gibby Frogett said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth - the playing cards were a great find and great place to start. I love the background and colours especially.
The lovely pink is just like your beautuful roses too.
Such a shame that the beautiful Marilyn had such a sad and short life.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Gill xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! The pink background with the stars and hearts is perfect for your Marilyn inspired page 😁. Your rose looks so lovely too! Enjoy your weekend! J 😊 x

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful Marilyn page and quote. She was a very bright woman. Too bad she wasn't given credit for her brains. Maybe she would have had more confidence in herself and not had such a sad life.

Your pink roses are so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the roses, we've had surprise sunflowers this year so that makes me happy too. Wonderful Marilyn. She was so spunky and full of life, but her dark side and sadness at not being appreciated for who she was not what she looked like, truly sad for her. xox

Sami said...

A beautiful page Elizabeth with the beautiful Marilyn.
Lovely roses.
Have a great weekend.

Meggymay said...

Marilyn never seemed a happy person to me, always searching and not settled. It is a wonderful tribute page and a super quote you used.
I love how your cut back rose has given you joy and bloomed, it is a really pretty colour.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Wahoo. Roses. That is really exciting news. And a very pretty pink too. :) The pink matches your color for your Marilyn Monroe art. I know what you mean about her life. I can't say she inspired me as she was a rather sad soul, but she did inspire so many people in various ways. Hope it was a great Saturday. Hugs-ErikA

kathyinozarks said...

Hi, I am so excited you are getting new paper molds made. I am looking at things here differently for paper making. the dried grass paper was really neat to make-so I am thinking more in the direction-see more experimenting happening.
I may try the alum mordant for the eco print paper first as the new iron water won't be ready for awhile. how does the foil work? is that a mordant as well?
How fun we both have mordants brewing-hugs

kathyinozarks said...

wow thank you that is very nifty about the foil will need to set me up a bottle of that

Jackie PN said...

What a lovely page and tribute! Oh how I wish better things had fallen together the right way for Marilyn-such a loss and such a young age.

Your roses are beautiful- good for you! I bet they smell delicious Elizabeth!
say hello to Bleubeard for me!
Jackie xo

Divers and Sundry said...

One of my first exposures to conspiracy theories was the rumor-mongering surrounding her death -also the Kennedy assassination rumors, so both related to Kennedy. Even then I tended to dismiss wild theories about events that had reasonably simple explanations. I remember when the Elton John song came out. Hers was a sad life :(

Your roses! Gorgeous! I'm glad you knew what o do :)

Lowcarb team member said...

A very nice journal page.

How lovely to see the rose in bloom, it's such a lovely colour.

All the best Jan

Kyla said...

Great Marilyn pages, yes she was a tortured soul, but such an icon.

nice rose too-I am always amazed but what our plants can endure!

kyla

Marfi-topia said...

lovely color..I do love that quote..it really rings true for me.
congratulations on your roses..so exciting!!!!

Jeanie said...

It's a very fun piece! And bravo on the roses! That's really exciting. I have no aptitude for roses but I love them. Good for you with the pruning!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is a lovely page Elizabeth and the quote makes this a sadder page than the photos of Marilyn show. The pink was definitely a good choice! Your rose looks very happy now! Are you going to chop it back again and try for a second blooming later this year? Hugs, Chrisx