Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Polar Bear and my monthly calendar


Wednesday wonders is on hiatus only because I had to make one more entry in Rike's theme at Art Journal Journey which is Animals A to Z.  I loved this theme so much I couldn't pass up the chance to share one final entry before we meet a new host in March tomorrow.  Wednesday wonders will be back next week.

Today we are honoring the polar bear, which is an endangered species.  They are the first species to become endangered due to global warming.


I wanted to give these images some class, so tried to use some very old photo corners that fell apart as I was trying to apply them to the image.

I have no idea why anyone would want to endanger these incredibly beautiful animals, but we humans have done so by our mistreatment of the atmosphere.

Polar bears range in color from snow white to medium brown, depending on their surroundings.

For this page that I created in my large art journal, I began with the definition of a polar bear and printed the letter P, which I left black and white to signify the polar bear.  I used a punch, which I centered the P around, then cut it out.  I wanted the polar bear images to stick out, but the photo corners were old and fell apart as I was adding them to the images.  So much for those gifted photo corners I've been hanging onto for years and years (too many years, I fear).  The focal image came from an endangered species calendar and the smaller images came from a book about mammals.

I am simply thrilled you joined me today.    Thank you beyond belief for your continued support of my art.  You will find me today at Art Journal JourneyHope to see you there on this last day in February, too.

And because I will have no other time to share my calendar pages,

here is my completed February calendar page.  This was a busy month and I tried to decorate accordingly.  I stamped the hearts, then drew lines to show Chinese New Year, the NBA All-Star Weekend, and Mardi Gras.   I received some lovely and fun stickers to use in my calendar from RO.  You can see the haircut and the Hustle Hard are from what she sent me.  Thanks, dear RO. 


This is March's calendar page ready to be written in.

Again, I am so grateful for your support of my art.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful polar bear page Elizabeth. Their plight is very sad. It’s nice that you are able to draw attention to this issue through your art. I also enjoy seeing your monthly calendar!

Valerie-Jael said...

I feel like an ice bear myself after the weather we have had lately, the coldest on record since 100 years. Lovely page! Valerie

Neet said...

What a delightful photo of such a beautiful animal. Indeed it is upsetting to hear what is happening to some of our lovely animals, and polar bears especially. They are such fun to watch on videos in the snow and a beautiful creature too. Thanks for highlighting them Elizabeth.
Love to you Squiggles and of course, the man himself, Bleubeard.
Neet xx

Lotte Kristensen said...

Brilliant spread with the sadly endangered polar bear - I like how you often use topical and/or thought-provoking subjects - yeah, you DO wonder what the planet will look like in 50 years!! Here's a link to an article I think you might be interested in

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/07/human-impact-has-pushed-earth-into-the-anthropocene-scientists-say

Best wishes from Charlotte and Pandora, who says hi to Bleubeard ;)

froebelsternchen said...

Your polar bear page is wonderful! So sad we handle our nature without enough care.
A lovely and thought provoking last entry for this super theme at AJJ dear Dr.E.!
I added your link - saw that you didn't add yet- hope you returned safe at home again my friend.
Good luck with the keyboard and internet!

You remind me with your calendar pages that I must organize my little calendar - art -thing here as well! I saw on your calendar notes that you had a big trip ... so curious to hear about it and looking forward to seeing photos!
oxo
Susi

Rike said...

I am so glad about your entry on Wednesday!
Again a very impressing page - the P for polar bear! The middle bear looks like he is waving us "please save us, we are an endangered species" - it is so sad, people are destroying the whole world!
I did not know that there are not only white polar bears but also from snow white to medium brown, depending on their surroundings!
The photo do not show the troubles you had with the photo corners, they fit!
Thank you so much for your last wonderful page and for all your support to my theme at AJJ!
Wish you a happy rest of the week!
Rike xx
Your February calendar page shows really a busy month!

Let's Art Journal said...

I'm loving your polar bear page! The focal picture is so adorable and it feels like polar bear weather here at the moment with all the snow we are having ...lol 😉. Wishing you a very happy Wednesday! J 😊

My name is Erika. said...

That polar bear in the big photo looks like he is waving goodbye to us. That could be sad-if we think about global warming and melting ice caps, or it could be funny as though he is saying goodbye to this challenge. Either way it is a great photo. One day it would be cool to see live polar bears in the arctic, that is if they last that long. And no, I won't go into a political rampage about the present administration and global warming. I think you also created such a festive February calendar also! Happy end of the month. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful homage to the polar bear. You were very busy during the month of February. Will be interesting to see how you fill March

Sami said...

A nice tribute to the beautiful polar bears. They are magnificent!
Love your full and interesting calendar Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

You have a clean slate for March! I'm so fond of polar bears -- I'm glad they were the stars of today's page!

kathyinozarks said...

Welcome back home, I am loving all these polar bears-great page-I really enjoying viewing posts for this animals theme.
More rain here in Mo-you know we don't need more right haha
and thanks so much for your support with my cast iron fridays

Meggymay said...

It is a wonderful polar bear page, the pictures you shared on the page look amazing. They are beautiful creatures.
They would be right at home here in the UK at the moment in our deep snow, but it is no joking matter and we should all think about these wild animals and do our best to preserve their natural habitats..
Yvonne xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

it's beyond sad what mankind has done to this magnificent bear and 100's of other species and plant life ~~~~~ before I go on a tirade; I'll just say happy wednesday and hi to bleu and squiggles ~ ☺☺♥♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

It makes me sad to think what we are doing to this Earth is causing these wonderful animals to become so endangered as a species! Your calendar pages look great - love your additions over the month! Hugs Chrisx

nanskidrewski said...

Love your polar bears!

RO said...

Something about the beauty of the Polar Bear has always captivated me, and I'm so thrilled you've shared their beauty with us. I like how you always choose something pretty neat to focus on with your artwork to get us thinking. Yay that you were able to use a few stickers for your calendar. I'm honored and appreciative, and they look cool. Hope your Wednesday was as wonderful as you are! Hugs...RO

Marfi-topia said...

Love the polar bear page!
I really like how you use your calendar.
Nice to look back and see what you actually had planned for that day.
Very clever:)

Divers and Sundry said...

I love that you lift up the plight of the polar bear here. It's hard to accept that we're backing off of efforts to help our environment. It's not like the polar bears (or any of us either, for that matter) can move to another planet once we trash this one :( Heartbreaking. But your photo tribute is inspiring :)