Friday, February 23, 2018

Friday Smiles 260


By now, many of you know I have a ton of photos from the History Museum I visited for Smithsonian Day.  If you want to see a link to this wonderful museum, here it is.  It's now time to share a few of these photos each Friday, along with some funny stories, quotes, verse, or jokes I found when I was cleaning my office.  By now you know I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.

I'll begin with the quotes, funny stories, and jokes.


The four most beautiful words in our common language: 
I told you so.
                                               ~Gore Vidal


I bought one of those tapes to teach you Spanish in your sleep. During the night, the tape skipped.  Now I can only stutter in Spanish.
                                                ~Steven Wright


How can you ever be late for anything in London? They have 
a huge clock right in the middle 
of the town.
                                                 ~Jimmy Kimmel


Q: What do you get if you divide the circumference of a jack-o-lantern by its diameter?
A: Pumpkin pi

At the mall, a woman's five-year-old grandson joined the other children in line waiting to sit on the Easter Bunny’s lap. When it was his turn, the little boy didn’t move; he just stared.
“Don’t you want to sit on the 
bunny’s lap?” the grandmother asked.
“No!” he shouted. “There’s 
a man in his mouth!”

Q: What goes up and never comes down?
A: Your age!


I recently decided to sell my vacuum cleaner as all it was doing was gathering dust.


250 lbs here on Earth is 94.5 lbs on Mercury.  No, I’m not fat. I’m just not on the right planet.


The best thing about the good old days is that we were neither good nor old.


If I have to choose between a husband and shoes, I choose shoes. They tend to last longer and are easier to replace.


Hillary Clinton died and went to heaven. As she stood in front of Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates, she saw a huge wall of clocks behind him. She asked, "What are all those clocks?"
Saint Peter answered, "Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone on Earth has a Lie-Clock.
Every time you lie, the hands on your clock will move.
"Oh," said Hillary, "whose clock is that?"
"That's Mother Teresa's. The hands have never moved indicating that she never told a lie."
"Whose clock is that?"
"That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have only moved twice telling us that Abe only told 2 lies in his entire life."
"Where's Bill's clock?" Hillary asked.
"Bill's clock is in Jesus' office. He's using it as a ceiling fan." 

and my favorite this week:

The problem with math puns is that calculus jokes are all derivative, trigonometry jokes are too graphic, algebra jokes are usually formulaic, and arithmetic jokes are pretty basic. But I guess the occasional statistics joke is an outlier.

(For those of you who don't know, I was a math and statistics major as a college undergrad)

Now let's finish the third floor at the History Museum where we will visit the last four rooms of this "typical" Wichita cottage.

This is where we left off last time.

Want to see what it looked like when I took photos the last time I was at this museum?

Now you know why I love my "new" camera.

I managed to get a bit redundant here, but at least you can make out the hallway leading to the various rooms.


I got a bit carried away taking photos of this room.  You'll see more later, too.  But for now, I was fascinated with the design of the  beautiful hardwood floors.



This has to be the ugliest wallpaper I have ever seen.

The second ugliest wallpaper is in what I believe is the parlor.








Could this be the gas and electric light fixture the History Museum talked about (see last week's entry)?

Back in the library, I was having trouble getting everything to focus.



Next I was off to the dining area.

I couldn't believe how dark this room was.

The final room was the bedroom.

There was a small writing table and a dressing area, too.  Now that you have seen all the rooms in the Wichita cottage, it is time to move to the next floor.

Next time we'll head here which is the fourth floor and I'll finish sharing photos of this museum.  Sadly, I didn't get far on this floor before my batteries died.

Thanks for joining me today in this History Museum.  And please visit Annie and her lovely smiles today.  Feel free to join in with your smile, too.  A smile to start the weekend is always a good thing.

Since next Friday is the second day of the month and I will have a Second on the 2nd to share, I will miss Friday Smiles, but will stop by to say hello to all the Friday Smilers.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

There are some great rooms and furniture in the museum. I was reminded of a quote from Oscar Wilde, 'Either the wallpaper goes or I do....' Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have loved seeing your museum pics but will have to wait till we get home to compare! Oh! The vacuum cleaner joke cracked me up!! Chrisxx

froebelsternchen said...

Impressive rooms for sure!Thank you for sharing ELizabeth! And those jokes were amazing - I can imagine that the one about the mathematic terms was your favourite!
I loved the vacuum cleaner quote the most - and it reminds me to start my household things just now!!!
Happy start of the weekend my friend!
You had snow storm -?! And internet probs?
Crazy weather ---

Take good care of you!
oxo Susi

Annie said...

Your funnies really got me chuckling Elizabeth....even the maths one cos I enjoyed maths to A level. That museum really has something to look at in every corner doesn’t it? I love it.
Hugs,
Annie x

Let's Art Journal said...

Love the math joke too (grin!). The museum is amazing, the rooms look so beautiful and it's lovely to see how people lived back then 😁. Great photo of the table setting with the crystal catching the light too. Thanks for the smiles and wishing you a very Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me through the cottage. (the Americans have a different concept of the word cottage. In England a cottage is a small, humble, rural abode with usually just one room. This loooks like a full blown beautiful house. I really like it. It would be a house of a single lady. (single bed with sewing machine in the bedroom). Yes, the wall paper is atrocious in our eyes, but in those days it probably was the height of fashion. I actually dislike the carpet. It looks very seventies. Horrible.
The jokes got me chuckling. Even the maths joke (I discovered I was good at maths and liked it a bit too late as an adult). I didn't 'get' the one about the clock in London...
Thanks for reminding me about 2nd on the 2nd. I'll try to remember.

RO said...

Always so great to get my day started with one of your smile catchers, and a visit to the museum blows my mind. All that lovely wood, the library and the dining area are fabulous! Museums offer us so much valuable history. Happy Friday! Hugs...RO

Marfi-topia said...

what a lovely journey though the cottage! thank you for that:)
I enjoy the jokes so much!!
Helena wanted me to leave one for you..

What did the fish say when he swam into the wall?
Dam!

hugs:)

CJ Kennedy said...

The Hilary joke was the best. Ceiling fan. :-D Such beautiful rooms. about Woodwork, floors, furniture. Though I'm glad I'm not the one that has to dust everything. Didn't care for the wallpaper. I really loved the stained-glass, fan windows in the parlor.

Meggymay said...

Great photos, the room setting all looked interesting, but I'm afraid the wallpaper and busy looking carpets would have me needing to decorate. Very fussy and far to fancy for today's taste . However it is good that we preserve how things looked for our future generations.
I had a good smile at the funnies, I likes the one about the Clintons.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

I love the typical Wichita cottage but you're right about that wallpaper! I think I could work with the carpet, but I'd have to change my style a little. Loved that half-circle stained glass over one of the windows. Not too comfy on those chairs though! As always, a wonderful spot to visit.

Divers and Sundry said...

That's very fancy for my idea of a cottage! Wow! I love all that wood, and I appreciate the photos you took showing entire rooms. Beautiful!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

pumpkin pi ~~~~~~~ good one !!!!!!! thanx again for sharing the tour; my mom had a rocker similar to that one " second to last photo " with the
padded seat and back; not sure what happened to it ! ☺☺♥♥

Anne said...

Your funnies made me giggle. More Fabulous photos of the 'cottage' - a different concept of cottage to the one I have living in the UK. It is beautiful. Anne x

Anonymous said...

Silly fun jokes, thanks for the laugh, we need it in this house about now. Quite the period place, not my taste but beautiful nonetheless. xox

My name is Erika. said...

That is quite the 'cottage'. One thing I have decided is that the Victorian style-all those pieces together, is a little too much for me. I would take a few pieces though. I think the wallpaper does fit the rooms, but you would need a big room for all that design. I am loving the views though. Architecture and decoration are really fascinating, even when it's not my style. Thanks for sharing. Hugs-Erika

Birgit said...

Those jokes are funny especially the Clinton one but it would work well with Trump too. This place is so lush and full on Victorian charm. Thank goodness no one decided to paint the wood white which is a huge pet peeve of mine. The wall paper is not that bad...I have seen much worse. I want to know where those stairs in the library go to.

craftytrog said...

All that wood, and those beautiful coloured glass windows, not too keen on the carpets though!
Thanks for the smiles to start my weekend Elizabeth, love the maths one, it was my favourite subject, only got as far as 'A' levels though.
Alison xx

mamapez5 said...

There is some beautiful furniture in the museum photos Elizabeth, but I am glad we have lighter and brighter walls and furnishings now.
Lots of happy smiles again, and as a former high school maths teacher, I especially appreciated the last one. Kate xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Love the funnies, very good. I am beginning to wonder how long you must have been in the museum, there is so much to see. What a gorgeous room but wouldn't like to have to dust it Lol! Have a lovely weekend, Angela xxx

Sharon Madson said...

Just found this post email in my spam! So I am late. Love the funnies, although I didn’t get the one about the Easter bunny ; I must be dense! LOL. Anyway, I smiled. Nice to see the photos of the museum. I haven’t been in about five years, and I never thought to take photos. Happy Monday!