Thursday, February 22, 2018

African Elephant


I'm once again joining Rike at Rike's Art this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme Animals A to Z.

Today we are

honoring the African Elephant.






I've seen first hand (when our zoo rescued five African elephants) how sweet and gentle they are and how they all live in such peaceful harmony. 

For this page, I began in my large art journal.  I laid down a ledger sheet I colored to emulate the colors found in the focal image.  I cut the focal image using my deckle scissors and added it to the page once the water soluble crayons were dry.  I included the facts I found as well as four small images of elephants I took from a book.

Thanks for joining me today at Art Journal Journey.  I am very grateful for your continued support of my art, too.


26 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh! You made my day with this wonderful page! This is utterly beautiful dear Elizabeth!This old account book background and the colors - a dream!
Happy Thursday dear Co- Admin and thank you for asuch a wonderful entry for AJJ today - Rike will be happy as well - I am sure!

I am early today -- ( sleep well in case you go to bed now)
♥♥♥
Susi

Helen said...

what a magnificent beast!

Rike said...

YES, as Susi said, I am happy for sure! A giant page for a giant animal - the African elephant - I didn't really know that they are living in peaceful family units and how sweet and gentle they are! Wonderful old French background and you colored beautifully to emulate the colors of the focal image, which you cutted perfect with the deckle scissors! The small pictures of elephants you added I like too!
Thanks a lot for this great entry to my theme at AJJ!
Happy Thursday! Rike xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Elephants are indeed very impressive creatures. Love the ledger background. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

An amazing image and you used it so well Elizabeth. Just had a bit of a catch-up on your blog and all wonderful as always

Love Chrissie xx

craftytrog said...

Elephants are such wonderful beasts, I love this page Elizabeth! It's a great setting too, on that ledger sheet.
Alison xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! I love the background ledger sheet with the beautiful colours you added to match the focal image and your African elephant looks spectacular 😁. Happy Thursday! J 😊

Marfi-topia said...

I love this! it's so beautiful. Love the colors.

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the way the elephant is coming right at the viewer. The colors you chose for the background go so well with the image. What I really love is the ledger page with the beautiful penmanship

pearshapedcrafting said...

We are thinking along similar lines dear but you will have to wait for my scheduled post later this week(Yes, we are at the caravan for a few days!) I adore this page- the ledger background coloured to pick up this colours is fabulous and those beautiful elephants add up to one of my favourites of your animal pages! Hugs,Chrisx

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dr. E! Elephants are so auspicious and I am left swooning over your Orchid post.. wow!! x

Dortesjs said...

awww great journal post love elephants ;O))

Sandra Cox said...

Isn't he amazing, as is your page, dear Elizabeth.
Hugs

kathyinozarks said...

Great page Elizabeth, I am really enjoying seeing everyones animal pages

Meggymay said...

He is a majestic looking elephant. It looks like he was posing to have the photo taken. A fabulous page Elizabeth, and I enjoyed reading the facts you added. I've seen a few TV programs that have talked about the closeness of the family units. They could possibly put a few human families to shame these days.
Yvonne xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles.....iz it just uz.....ore iz thiz... ONE TROO LEE LARGE DOOD ~~~~~~~~ !! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

Jeanie said...

I love the ledger sheet background -- it gives such a wonderful texture to your art, especially painted blue. When you think of the illegal price on elephants/ivory that ledger sheet is sadly appropriate.

RO said...

Elephants were featured on The Amazing Race and I was so impressed by their intelligence and gentleness. Thanks so much for shining the light on these fabulous creatures! Hugs...RO

Rita said...

Love elephants. I remember your zoo got some--how wonderful. Very elegant pages. :)

Birgit said...

This is great with the rich colours of Africa that you created and showcasing g these great animals with the blue of th Sky. You did a wonderful job honouring these gentle giants

My name is Erika. said...

Love this! Elephants are pretty amazing animals and too bad man is wiping them out. :) Nice page-and cool background too! I am sooo late- yesterday was very busy with my parents open house at school and I overslept this morning. I will get back to the history museum when I can view it properly. Have a great day-Erika

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This is a beautiful page. I love elephants. I'm so impressed by their intelligence and their culture. I wrote about one in a story collection that will be coming out this year. I also have been "blessed" by an Asian elephant. My husband is from India, and we visited the Rockford Temple in Tiruchirapalli. The temple Indian there has been trained to tap you on the head , "blessing" you, if you give a donation. It was quite an experience looking this beautiful and gentle creature in the eye, wondering what sense it was making of me standing there.

Divers and Sundry said...

There's an elephant sanctuary here in Tennessee. The web cams show them interacting in their large habitat. Having this large acreage definitely helps give them more room to wander. Peaceful giants :)

Linda Kunsman said...

I absolutely LOVE this page Elizabeth! What beautiful creatures these elephants are.

Anonymous said...

The gentleness of an elephant is so apparent in their photos, yet I know they can be fierce warriors defending their little ones...nice pages. xox

Cindy McMath said...

A beautiful page honouring a beautiful animal. Lovely!