Sunday, November 19, 2017

Prep Day

I only have access to these alphabet dies for three days, so I am working my tale off in my craft room.   I'll be spending all my time with these dies, so I may or may not have time to visit.  This is a huge undertaking for me, and one I greatly appreciate.

In the background on the right are a few tags.  It is the one and only die I owned.  Not much you can do with a single die.

Then my friend Erika sent me a die that cuts the bird, butterfly, and circles.  I was in hog heaven, although I confess I didn't use them until today.

This entire day was rather fraught with peril.  As you can see, I don't have a lot of room on my craft table.  There are some things I always keep there, like my stapler and 3-hole punch.  

In the basket are a bunch of leather circles that had been cut to make badges.  A friend didn't use them, so gave them to me.  I had to remove the yarn from the leather which took seemingly forever.

The envelopes were very old and also given to me.  They were attached to backer paper that was originally used in a dot matrix printer.  They were fan-folded and on sheets that were tractor fed.  Those of you who had a computer and printer in the 80s will know what I'm talking about.  I had to remove each of the envelopes from their backer paper, then I wrote each letter on both the front and back of each envelope. 

You can see I saved a few of the tractor feeds, and I also painted some paper that I hope to use with the dies.  Prep day may will probably turn into prep night and prep tomorrow, too!


This is Day 19 of AEDM, and I am in the process of prepping some painted papers and using some dies loaned to me.  I really appreciate your visit because it is greatly appreciated.  I promise to try to find time to visit each of you today, too.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are enjoying the opportunity to cut some dies which you can use later, have fun, and don't overdo things! I'm having a lazy Sunday, I need it. Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

hope you have a fun die cutting day! don't wear yourself out!

Dortesjs said...

Ohhh hope you have fun ;O))

RO said...

Yay to Erika for her kindness! Isn't it great to wake up with all the perfect tools, so you can know you're going to have the best day ever?! It just makes you want to "share a smile"(borrowed from your cool side bar-lol) because you just know you're going to get so much completed on a project. Happy Sunday!!!! Hugs...RO

My name is Erika. said...

I often thought there should be some kind of craft supply rental company-like for dies and stamps. I don't know how one would ever run, but like the old netflix used to be when people got their movies in the mail. You could send a little deposit and then get something to use for 10 days or so. But not sure how the owner would make money to do that. I think it's smart to just sit down and die cut a bunch of things. When I get working it's easier not to have to stop and cut things. But maybe that's just my style. Glad you are enjoying the die. :) Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

looks like fun

Cindy McMath said...

Oh have fun Elizabeth. I have never used a die cutter, but it seems like it would be easier than a punch, and I believe they take thicker materials too. Thanks for your note on my blog last weekend. I have been around but not posting. I’ve also been a bad friend and not commenting on your blog, even when I have peeked at it. I’ve been enjoying your ‘how to stay warm’ series, and particularly enjoyed the trip to the Caribbean, the outdoor patio firer (I’d love one of those) and the burning pile of leaves. Still struggling through my move (the same one I’ve been working on for over a year!), work’s been busy, and I had a nasty cold that turned into a sinus and eye infection. In the midst of that I’ve been working on a commission painting and decided to enter three paintings in a local art show, which meant a day of framing as they were finished but not varnished or framed. So that’s pretty much where I’ve been for the past few weeks. Enjoy cutting those dies.

nanskidrewski said...

Great planning and prepping! That's a nice present from Erica. Looking forward to seeing your creations!

froebelsternchen said...

I love how you are planning all things so well and have ideas on hand for all - well organized woman ! Make good use of the lended die alphabeth ! The outcut papers come handy to use as stencils as well. I collect always everything but after a period of time of NON USING the collected stuff I clean all out again - so I am always well preoccupied -lol!
Hope you had a good die cutting Sunday and didn't overstrain yourself!
oxo Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

It looks like you are having fun 😁. That was so kind of Erika and those birds, butterflies and circles are beautiful! Happy Sunday and enjoy your three days of die cutting! J 😊

Jeanie said...

This looks like loads of fun and I can't wait to see the endgame! Three cheers to Erika, too!

Meggymay said...

Looks like you are having a productive, fun day. You will enjoying using all the die cuts you are cutting, it sounds like you will be going some, but wow will you have a store of great things to use.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

You are going to be well prepared for future fun. I've never used a tool like this; it sounds like quite the adventure!

TammyVitale said...

I think it's just crunch time of year. I skipped blogging for two days for AEDM but managed to get photographs posted each day (if I can't at least do photographs I'm in trouble!). Enjoy your materials! I look forward to seeing what comes of it all.

carol l mckenna said...

Thanks for sharing your 'crunch time' process in die cutting ~

Happy Week to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rita said...

Your arm is going to be very tired bu what fun to have all those dis cut! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Looks like hard work! Hope you get all you want done! Hugs,Chrisx

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I agree with what someone wrote -- craft shops should have rentals -- wouldn't that be great? A good friend lent me a custom die she had made of teeny tiny little envelopes and I made a bunch of them before giving back the die. I have a die cut machine but I don't want to have a million dies so loaners would be very nice. Have fun cutting!