Sunday, August 6, 2017

Early August garden


As promised, here is what my yard looked like as of yesterday.


Although I started in the front of the house, I thought I'd update the veggie/herb garden first.  Two days ago I gave the herbs a quick haircut.  I gave most of the herbs away to neighbors and friends.

Many of my herbs are doing well and were definitely ready for harvest.

I definitely need to pull grass and weeds, which makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to use this ground to plant in.  Even several layers of cardboard don't deter that grass.

One thing is for sure, I'm cutting the blackberry bush back farther this fall than I've ever done before.  I'm tired of it trying to spread, but not providing fruit.

Although it's incredibly difficult to see over the blackberry vines, this is my lone tomato plant.  It has grown in height, but there are no flowers on it.  There are also no tomatoes because there are no bees in my yard to pollinate the flowers.

Now it's time to head to the front yard.  Ironically, I mowed a mere five days ago, yet the grass needs it again.  From where I stood, I zoomed in on the color I saw toward the back of the garden.

My purple coneflowers (Echinacea) are doing great.  I'm thrilled to see them thriving.

My Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) is in full bloom after I cut it back drastically last autumn.

It has taken off and is doing quite well.

You would never know I cut it back so drastically by looking at the new growth it has produced.

Moving to my porch, you can see the Surprise Lilies (Lycoris squamigera), also known also as Peace Lilies and Naked Ladies, had just started to bud two days ago.

There are many more of these that will bloom quite soon. 

I planted them everywhere in my garden, and now it's time to transplant them again.

I planted them all around my rose bush

in the flower bed, but they must need to be divided again because, aside from these few, they are no longer blooming.

It was now time to head to the back yard for photos.  Both the house and the  umbrella look extremely lopsided in this photo.

When I saw these two photos I was mortified.  I definitely need to clean this back patio and edge around it.  At some point, I also want to pour a new concrete slab.

I'm hoping these are hollyhocks.  If not, they are just weeds.

I used to have a lilac bush back here, but it was too dark for it to survive.  That was my fault because I planted it before I planted so many of these other plants that actually LIKE shade.

I have contemplated repainting this now quite rusty table, but I really want a new one and hate to waste the paint on one I might throw away.

You can see I'm now planning to work out here until the heat runs me inside.  I've got several ideas I'm working on, but nothing is taking hold at the moment.

Back inside, the face of our blog was patiently waiting for me to offer him some love and affection.  Squiggles, on the other hand, was no where to be seen.

Thanks for taking time to join me as I shared my early August herb garden, my flower bed, and my horrible back yard today.  Bleubeard will join me in thanking you for visiting.  We are both grateful.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your garden is looking good. I especially like the herbs, which are doing well, mine did not do well at all this year, they weather here has been perhaps too extreme. The hibiscus and lilies are gorgeous, but those leaves don't look like hollyhocks, at least not like the ones we have here. I think they could be night candles. Bleubeard is lovely, as always, give him - and Squiggles - my best regards. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

A busy and beautiful outdoor space with great plants and I love the the idea of crafting outdoors though I have never done it myself. Too windy here to do that.The flowers look like foxgloves to me though they are late flowering as mine finished about a month ago. Some may call them weeds but I would never let mine go I just love them.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

Your garden is just so beautiful! You have created a little paradise! Mr Bleubeard looks very good - a handsome boy!
Happy Sunday Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Dortesjs said...

Thanks for showing around your home. Have a great sunday

Sami said...

Some lovely flowers and lots of herbs in your garden.
A friend gave me hollyhoks that I planted in my front garden, but I think it got too hot for them at some stage as they have disappeared.

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the walk through your garden. That plant doesn't look like a Hollyhock to me. Hollyhock leaves, at least the variety I have, have a shape like a grape leaf. Will be interesting to see if it flowers. I had to laugh at your comment about the weeds poking through your cardboard barrier. When Matt delivered the stone for my Zensical garden, he put down garden mesh as a weed barrier. I thought the barrier would keep the stone pristine. It's amazing the weeds push through the fabric hale and hardy. Give Bleubeard and extra cuddle from me, and Squiggles, too, when he emerges from his hidey hole.

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you didn't get any of flooding rain I saw on the news. They say it was quite bad, and the photos over in Kansas City, Missouri looked terrible. We didn't finish putting up the fence in our front yard yesterday but the brush is about 99% cleared out. By 4 PM we were exhausted and the rain was really coming down so called it quits. But half the fence is up and the dogs have been checking it out. I love seeing your gardens and yard. I can tell by the plants it been hot because they have that later in the summer look. Green and growing well. Looks like the gardens have been keeping you busy and to me that is always an enjoyable thing, as long as you can live with the fact that weeds grow back pretty quick. Nice seeing these photos. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Blogoratti said...

Looks like a lot of work indeed, and what a lovely garden you have. Wonderful photos!

Divers and Sundry said...

Lovin' the garden posts. I'm always inspired by your success with herbs. I'm going to do more with herbs next year -in pots like yours- on my patio. I hope you get blackberries next year. They can't be beat :)

I'd be tempted to expand the flower beds into that pesky lawn ;) Mowing is something I just never took to ;)

Surprise Lilies! I don't have any, but Mother used to and they are such a delight when they shoot up. I do enjoy seeing what you've planted. Every year I try to do a little something more in my space, and it's helpful to see what other folks have done. Thanks!

Meggymay said...

More lovely photos of you wonderful garden. The herbs look so healthy, they taste so much better freshly picked from you own garden.
The flowers looked beautiful as well, I love the lily flowers.
I hope you enjoyed crafting in your garden a super setting to sit and ponder what you will make.
I do like your table, over here the folk seem to love old and distressed metal tables in the garden.
A lovely photo of Bleubeard as well.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

I really enjoyed your post and am so pleased I visited you today.
I thought your early August herb garden looked good, so too your flower bed, and I especially liked the table it has a good look about it.

I hope the coming new week will be a good one for you.
My good wishes

All the best Jan

PiaRom said...

Hi Dear, so lovely to see your garden and happy places! You wrote you have no tomatoes because of not having bees. Did you know you can pollinate them by your own by using a soft brush and swish over the blossoms?! It works ♥ Conny http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

Rita said...

It's all looking so good and green and colorful! Looks like a lot of work, too. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your garden Elizabeth! Not sure about the hollyhock -the leaves seem a long way up the stem! I saw Conny's comment - I had the same idea about the brush! Crafting outside is a great idea! Hugs, Chrisx