Friday, May 26, 2017

Possibly a new direction for my art and a trip to the Art and Book Fair


Recently, an internet friend sent me a link to a web site called Alaaddin's Magic Lamp.  I saw that it was a Tumblr account and since I am not a member there, I was not sure I could access it.  I was thrilled to learn I could view images in this venue.

What was more surprising was

when I found this piece and was taken to Art by M. Johnson.  Per the site, this abstract art is called “Prized.” It is made of oil, cold wax, and metal leaf on canvas.  Don't get your hopes up, though because it has been sold.


I created this for T day when I made 30 abstracts in 30 days in September, 2014.


Although I have given this painting away, I am proud of this first attempt at abstract art.  I just need to refine and improve my process.  I think if I had the right motivation and supplies, I could make art look SIMILAR to the famous artist M. Johnson.

I thought I would take you back to the Art and Book Fair, but this time, show you a few of the art booths.

I'll keep my comments to a minimum, so you can peruse them at your own speed.


I took this for both Bleubeard and my friend Sandra, whose love of cats is well known.  I'm not sure how it will play with the Tabbies of Trout Town, though.  This might be a bit tame for them, since their art is known the world over.



I swear, I think I could paint THIS.






I swear these look like the art my next door neighbor creates.



I fell in love with this one.

That is until I saw the price tag!

This is the kind of art my friend Sally would buy.  She loves prints of animals.



I think that's enough art for one day.  I'll share more over the next few days.  I don't want to overload your internet.

Thanks for visiting today as I looked back on some of my art and looked ahead at the art from the Art and Book Fair.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos from the art fair, and abstract art i something you did well last time, so do some more. My fave photo is the creation with the old sewing machine, really fabulous! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Look forward to seeing more of your abstract art! I will have to wait until I get home to see the art fair properly - mobile phones are great but with a limited connection it would take a while to see these in detail! Hugs, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

So much delicious eye candy and inspiration. Thanks for letting us tag along.

My name is Erika. said...

I love your abstract and didn't know you had an interest in it. I think its right up your alley. :) And wow- what amazing art at that craft and book fair. I always love a high quality art fair, and this was certainly one of those. You know how to pick them. Looks like life is good-enjoy your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

Great photos! I love the dog sculpture with the sewing machine bed as part of it. It kind of makes you want to run right home and create something! And you can!

Gaby Bee said...

Gorgeous photographs, Elizabeth! What a beautiful and interesting collection of treasures. Thanks for taking all of us on such an inspiring tour! I'm so pleased you had a great time.

Have a lovely weekend and I hope there is plenty of sunshine heading your way!

Hugs,
Gaby

Krisha said...

Great photos of the art fair.
I enjoy abstract art, and I love to create it..............something about stepping out of the box(?) LOL
Thanks for sharing.

Sami said...

I like your abstract picture Elizabeth.
Thanks for the enjoyable visit to the Art fair, I loved the metal sculpture pieces.
Thanks for those links to the murals, very interesting transformation project.
I knew one of the artists - the Mexican "Saner" who has also painted a few murals around Perth.
Have a great weekend.

peggy gatto said...

I loved seeing the craft fair, thanks!!

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic photos of the art fair - thank you for taking us along with you! Abstract art is great - you should for sure continue your journey on it!

Linda Kunsman said...

Although I have only done two cold wax pieces so far I know that if I had to choose one medium it would be between this and acrylics for creating art like these abstracts. Thanks for sharing your wonderful painting as well as the other inspiration during a lovely art show day.

Jeanie said...

What a fun art show. I love seeing the combo of the books and the art in one big deal! It will be fun to see the new direction your art takes! It's exciting to go into something new and I can't wait to see what emerges!

Let's Art Journal said...

I loved visiting the art fair with you! There is so much fabulous inspiration and I'm sure you could recreate those pieces and give them your own special touch of creative magic too 😀. The metal work does looks like your neighbours and those Singer Sewing machine pieces are such fun! Wishing you a lovely weekend! J 😊

Shoshi said...

What a great collection of art photos, Elizabeth. I love the quirky dog driving the sewing machine!!! I would love to have gone to that art fair - I can never get enough of going round galleries etc. You are very brave entering the world of abstract art, but it is always fun to branch out and try new stuff, and what a great sense of achievement you must be experiencing with your first efforts! Well done. Thank you for your sweet comment particularly about Phoebe. We are missing her greatly, and Beatrice is definitely pining for her. She has taken over Phoebe's favourite sleeping place in the garden, almost as if she's hoping she'll come back to claim it. I am glad you liked the card I made for my hubby - I was very pleased with how it turned out, and I'm really enjoying my experiments in mixed media and trying out new materials and techniques.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #47

Carol said...

I think you could really enjoy and do well with abstract. Just keep doing it and it will become natural. That looks like a great art fair... we have a couple going on this weekend here and I want to try and get to at least one. Hope the weather holds out. Have a great weekend !
Carol

Cindy McMath said...

Elizabeth, I remember your abstract series and really enjoyed seeing your creations. I hope you do end up revisiting this. People think abstract art is 'easy' but to get a pleasing composition with no real object is not so easy. I won't start on those that paint a canvas in a single colour. I have yet to fully comprehend the deeper meaning of those. :)

Rita said...

Yes, the dog/sewing machine is delightful! Abstracts are harder than they look, but I think if you practiced you definitely could do some similar art...and develop your own style, too. And what fun it would be! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

As I catch up in my blog reading I've been working backwards lol. I've enjoyed the art fair photos. There are so many different styles, and I enjoy seeing the varied expressions at the fairs (and on the art blogs, too!).

I look forward to your exploration of the abstract.