Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A visit to Rhodes, Greece


I'm once again joining Yvonne at Meggy's Way, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme of Out and About.  We are still in Greece, as the title of the post assures.

Today we are visiting Rhodes, often referred to as the Island of the Knights.

The island of Rhodes' largest city is also named Rhodes.  I have learned that many of these islands have cities with the same name as the island. While in Rhodes, you can also visit the city of Lindos with its acropolis, where we visited several days ago.

These windmills sit near the Aegean Sea, which can be seen in the background.  This is a big tourist attraction.

I believe the lighting was better in the photo above, but this is the Gate d'Amboise in the Old Town section in the city of Rhodes. 

I think this is an even better photo of the Gate.

This is a better view of the windmills taken from the water. 

These are the ruins of the Apollo temple at the Acropolis of Rhodes.

I got the feeling this altered book entry had started to feel like a scrapbook page.

Besides trying to make a banner (or is it bunting?) using washi tape, I used some of my handmade baker's twine I made during April last year.

I created this on a piece of heavy cardboard, because I used a lot of paint and wasn't sure a used file folder would hold up to so much paint.  I had four images of Rhodes (the city) I found in various travel magazines.  I backed them with black card stock.  I strung handmade bakers twine across the bottom of the page to which I added washi tape.  I got a bit carried away crimping the tape to cut the dove tails, which ruined the effect, I fear.   No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the washi tape to lie flat or straighten out again.  Learn from my mistake, please.

Thanks for visiting today.  I am most grateful.  Now let's head to Art Journal Journey to see where others take us today.

15 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. what a beautiful page of my favourite Greece Island ! I visited Rhodes 4 times - always in late September - wonderful holidays for me. The selfmade baker's twine is used so pretty Elizabeth! Thank you for another fantastic entry to the OUT and ABOUT theme over at AJJ!
Happy Wednesday!
oxo
Susi

chrissie said...

A another wonderful page and a different island to visit. The background for this page is so calming and beautiful and works so well with the pictures.

I have sent you a couple of messages I hope you got them.

Love Chrissie xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, Rhodes is really a great place to visit. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Sami said...

Rhodes is beautiful, I visited the island many years ago. Nice page Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

Those windmills are fascinating. I bet Rhodes would be quite the place to visit. Ruins and windmills and looks like boats too. I need to know those things if I ever hope to get my hubby to visit a place, not that we are going anywhere right now. And I would have never noticed the washi tape issue. I just like how it looks like it is fluttering in the wind (maybe off the water?) Happy mid-week. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

I'm travelling with you again today, this is a fabulous page, like Erika said the banner looks like it is fluttering in a gentle breeze and I love the twine you made.
I think that Rhodes would be somewhere I would like to visit so thank you for taking me there with you.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

The banners or bunting make me think of warm island breezes and fits with the background. One thing I wish Rhodes still had was the Colossus. Be that would have been so cool to see.

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page Elizabeth. Great background

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a beautiful calm page! Your photos look as though they are floating on an incoming tide - such a lovely idea! The bunting is a perfect finishing touch! May not be around for a few days - apart from scheduled posts! Hugs, Chrisx

DVArtist said...

Wonderful art of Greece. How fortunate that you are there. A place I have always wanted to visit.

Birgit said...

Lucky you and yes, I thought it was a scrapbook page but, no matter, this looks great. Loving the colours since it reminds me of the wind the way you stylized things.

Sandra Cox said...

These just keep getting better and better. Love this background.

~*~Patty S said...

I have always dreamed of visiting Greece E.
Thank you for sharing so many lovely photos in your special travel pages. You are selling it for me even more!
Your Washi banner looks nice!
oxo

Sandy said...

Wonderful - I would dearly love to visit!
sandy xx

Jeanie said...

Elizabeth, I really like how you combine the history as you put together your art. It brings it all to life. How ancient and beautiful! I especially like the banner. It gives a certain energy with its position.

Thanks for your comments on my egg tree! I'll check out the link on your T post!