Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Take me to the zoo (part 3) and an update on my flower bed



This has been a very long and busy day.

I took my camera out back in hopes my lawn mower would start.

I finally diagnosed the problem.  It seems a piece of wood chip had gotten under the cowl (that's the black piece on top that houses the motor and the rope that turns the motor.    It made the rope unable to turn correctly.  Once I got it out using a bamboo skewer, it started with ease.

This is the photo I showed yesterday during T.

This is what my front flower bed looks like now.

I still have some areas I must trim back that I can't get with the lawn mower because of the rocks I laid out when I first designed the yard, but I'm happy that I've gotten this far.

Of course, by the time I got around to taking a photo of the front, leaves were dropping right and left.  It's also obvious I need to sweep the drive and sidewalk, but I can do that after I'm finished with the yard.

As I was taking a few photos, I noticed another rose had bloomed on my rose bush.  I've never had so many roses, and this may not be the last.

When I took a close-up, I was surprised how it was set against the backdrop of the house across the street.

You can see I left the hostas, including the ones near the house.  I also mowed around the monkey grass, that border of green stems with the purple flowers.   According to several web sites, it should not be cut until late winter, or early spring.

I decided to cool down by starting a fire in my chiminea.

I also found a great place for my chiminea cover when the chiminea was in use.

Some of you might remember I said I was going to try an inexpensive way to divert water from the sunken concrete patio out back.  You can see I've done that.  Total cost was less than $8.00 (USD).  And it works beautifully, too.  The only problem is, I have to watch when I hang clothes on the line.  That won't be a problem once it gets cold, though, because I'll be using my clothes dryer to dry them.

You can see the street lights have been turned on.  It was definitely a long day, but I didn't start till nearly noon.  And of course, the leaves in the back yard are starting to turn, too.

Of course, the plumes on this bamboo are now in full bloom, another definite sign of autumn.

By this time, the fire was beginning to glow, so I knew it was time to sit and enjoy the evening breeze before heading to the shower.

But now let's head back to the zoo.  To see part 1, click here.  To view part 2, click here

It was time to head to the steamy tropics where summer is in full bloom.

I'm a huge fan of palms, and was surprised  at how large these were.

You can see the size of this schefflera, from the size of the person.  I used to have two (sometimes called umbrella plants) until I put them out too early one April and we had a late frost that killed ALL my indoor plants, including my date palm.


This hot, steamy enclosed house was good for my curly hair, but not so good for my lungs.  It's like breathing water.  At least it wasn't moldy water!

Up top, I heard something in the brush.

I kept chasing an image

but it eluded my camera.

Finally, it stepped out from the brush and I grabbed one quick photo.  That little bugger was quicker than quick.  But it was worth it, because it was beautiful.


As I was heading out, I noticed two more birds, not as pretty, but much slower, in among these rubber plant leaves, another tropical plant I lost that same year.

I apologize if this is a short entry, but I'm wiped out, as I'm sure you can tell.  More tomorrow after I have time to recuperate and have patience with my slow internet.  Thanks for visiting today, and thanks to those of you who had faith in my ability to fix my lawn mower.

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You had a very busy day in the garden, glad you were able to solve the problem with the lawn mower. Love the photos from the tropical house at the zoo, fantastic. We have an aquazoo near here, also with a tropical garden and lots of humming birds, but it's closed just now for repairs:( Have a great day, and don't work too much, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

A busy post and a busy time for you Elizabeth. Pleased the mower started and it did the job you wanted done. Lots of light and space now for you add more plants.

The zoo plants look wonderful and give off the oxygen for the animals as well as looking beautiful.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

kaybee said...

Phew, I'm feeling very tired now after reading about your very busy day! Love that rose photo. And what is that stunning bird? :D

My name is Erika. said...

Wow- you have been busy! Your fall clean up is looking good. I have some more to do but we have gotten cold (highs in the low 40's) and the wind hasn't stopped blowing all week. Plus with the shorter days I don't have a lot of light time outside when I get home. Its been better for me to have some arty time after work. Relieves the stress of the day. :) Looking forward to some more zoo photos. :) Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Gret to hear that you could fix the mower problem so easily! Busy clever girl! The garden looks so well prepaired for winter now!
Thank you for the amazing photos from the zoo- that tropical house looks super!
Happy Wednesday Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Sami said...

A very busy day in the garden, and it's looking much better Elizabeth. Wonderful that you managed to sort out your lawnmower.
My rose bushes are also flowering, but it's Spring here.
Lovely photos from the zoo, love all those palms too.

Halle said...

Love that bird cage near the chiminea. Glad you were able to figure out the mower issue. We got a ton of rain overnight and into this morning so the last mowing/leaf pick-up will have to wait. Darn...you can tell I'm really broken up about it.

Sandra Cox said...

Wow! You have been busy. Kudos to you for figuring out what was wrong with your lawnmower and fixing it.

Jeanie said...

Good for you, diagnosing the lawn mower. My garden is more or less put to bed apart from the things in pots and I really have to get to those this week. Bring in what can be (or at least be sure they make it to the garage for frosty nights), take care of the dirt and clean the pots. You've been busy and it shows.

Darla said...

Good for you fixing the lawn mower. I'm not very good with non working equipment. I just kind of throw my hands up. Yard work is not one of my favorite pastimes but fortunately DH loves to be out there.

I like the colorful bird you followed and finally captured on your camera.

Meggymay said...

I think you deserve a long relaxing sit down to recover from all the work you have been doing in your garden.
More lovely photos, I was so pleased to see that beautiful bird and the ones of the tropical house.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Yard work is hard on a person. You did a lot! Glad you got the mower going again--whoohoo!!
What colors on that bird! Rest up. :)

Helen said...

glad you got your mower fixed, and that colourful bird in with the palms is so pretty! off to part 4 now...

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! You definitely earned some rest time -well done for spotting how to get your mower going again! The tropics look interesting, especially that lovely bird! The photo of the rose is beautiful! Off to part 4 of our trip to the zoo now! Hugs, Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! You definitely earned some rest time -well done for spotting how to get your mower going again! The tropics look interesting, especially that lovely bird! The photo of the rose is beautiful! Off to part 4 of our trip to the zoo now! Hugs, Chrisx

Carol said...

You have definitely been busy out there ! I know how hard all of that yard work is but it also feels good to get it done doesn't it ? That is a beautiful bird ♥ I used to have parrots and they are so pretty... but also a lot of work as they are very messy!!!

Divers and Sundry said...

I always enjoy seeing your accomplishments in your garden. I always get a kick out of your flower bed yard art :) I feel a kinship with you in the chiminea and your clay sculpture. It looks like your yard is ready now for the coming season, which is inspiration to me to see about my little patio. Thanks for sharing these photos!