Monday, April 11, 2016

T stands for classing up plasTic



I'm getting ready to enjoy a snack.  I don't often snack, but when I do, I usually eat it at my computer, or in front of the TV.  However, recently I realized I was in a rut that could lead to depression.  So, instead of sitting at my computer or in front of the TV, I realized I needed to treat my snacks as I do my meals: with dignity.  So I've set the table and am ready 

for some Greek yogurt and zero calorie flavored water.

This is new and instead of drinking coffee, I'm eating it (beans) in the yogurt,

along with some biscotti bits and tiny chocolate chips.

Even this plastic container of water can be made more appealing with a fresh lemon slice served in a stately old wine glass.

Now it's time to segue into the recycle part of this post.  Not only have I saved this hard plastic bottle, but also the lid from a sour cream container.  I also decided on three colors I thought would look good together.  All of these sit on top of a 12" X 12" sheet of heavy card stock.

First, I added some yellow paint to the plastic lid I'm now using as a paint palette. 

Then I stamped onto the card stock. 


After stamping, I realized I should not have twisted the bottle, but should have set it down straight, like a "regular" stamp.  

Next I added the green and rotated the bottle such that it would line up with the unpainted area.  I should have removed the excess yellow paint from the palette before adding the green, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Granted, this may not look like much, but it was just a bit of play and I learned a lot from this small bit of play.  I can see this as a Christmas wreath (in different colors of course), or even one for autumn.  I also realized I would need to change "stamps" if I wanted to fill in the center  Adding the purple would only have muddied the images.

Now it was time to clean the bottom of the bottle and the paint that was left on the plastic lid.  So I grabbed an old statistics book and went to town.

Before I washed the bottom of the bottle so it could hold different paint, I removed the label, which I will recycle in one of my scrappy journals or add to a collage.

This is Day 12 of 22 and I enjoyed a snack from plastic containers that I made more appealing by setting the table as I do for my meals.  I then took the plastic bottle (and a plastic lid I used as a paint palette) and turned it into a stamp for mixed media art.

Now it's your turn to share your T inspired drink and post.  Remember, it can be anything you choose, as long as it in some way, can relate back to a drink of any kind.




17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the thought of coffee yogurt, sounds great, and it's nice to eat from the table - I'm mostly too lazy for that! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Don't you love using ordinary things in an extraordinary way? And oh! How nice it looks!

Linda Kunsman said...

I really must look for that coffee yogurt:) I think it's important to set yourself a proper eating place - even if alone. I have had to do it many times with hubby's different work shifts, and I have gotten in the habit of lighting a candle too. Love your creative play for repurposing the containers!! Happy T day!

Helen said...

I never eat at a table at home (It's full of "stuff"!!) and do miss it sometimes, but not sure I'd go to the bother for a snack.. however your wreath 'stamp' is a great idea; and I look forward to seeing it in lots of other colours.

froebelsternchen said...

I totally agree with you that no matter what we eat - we should have a little ritual at each meal!
And you also celebrate each step of your wonderful recycling ideas!
AWESOME!!!!

Have a wonderful T-Day Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Lisca said...

It is so wonderful to use throwaway things with a new purpose.You certainly are very inventive. We recycle religiously and have special containers in our pantry. (I must remember to show you next Tues). I use the plastic containers for all sorts of things. The best way of recycling of course is not to buy processed food. I try to buy as much as I can in the market. I make my own yoghurt. I fact I make my own most things. I don't buy bottled water but filter the water from the tap and then add a 'hint' of something as my fancy takes me.I suppose making everything from scratch is not easy if you live in a city, so you are good to recycle as much as you can.
I like the result of your 'stamping' and the combination of colours is great.
Happy T-day,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

Nice healthy snack. How was that flavor of Chobani? It sounds yummy, and what I need to eat. Feeling like I have been eating too much food lately. And I like your stamped images using the bottle. I love trying items to see how they stamp. Keeping this short, got a million things on my agenda at work today, well, maybe not really a million but it feels like a million. Happy T Day! :)

Meggymay said...

Great re purposing ideas today and I do agree that eating should be special and not just something to add fuel to our bodies.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

I haven't tried that flavor yet...wasn't sure I'd like that combo. I agree that the act of sitting at the table to eat instead of in front of a screen or standing over the sink does give a meal or snack the dignity it deserves and also makes you stop eating before you've consumed more that your recommended daily caloric intake...or where we just talking about me? :)
Nice to be able to reuse those bottle for many things before recycling.

Dianne said...

Your snack sounds so yummy, and definitely more appetizing when you make it attractive...and a bit of an 'event!' Love that...and your printing too! I was put in mind of flowers...really calls to me to print some yellow dots in the middle for a flower center...print with the eraser end of a pencil! hmmm...I may need to get out the acrylic paint today....happy week dear friend!!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Hummmmm....how was that coffee yogurt? Good? And yes, it is much nicer to fancy things up when you are eating. I love how you are experimenting with using things like plastic bottles to make your mark.

Caterina Giglio said...

Happy T day, E... looks like you are having fun printing and stamping and recycling, my kind of project, we do love to create art with what we have.. hope your spring is warming up a bit... and BTW, brilliant use of old forks! :D

Divers and Sundry said...

I tend to snack where I am, in front of the computer or a DVD on the TV. Yours is much more attractive, I must say. As the weather warms, I'll take my snack and drink outside, and that's the _best_ :)

I love all your useful recycling. So many great art ideas from items that would otherwise hurt the environment. Thx!

Carol said...

I really have to find that yogurt!!!! I love that you eat at the table all of the time. I can't get my husband off the couch to eat a meal .. he takes it in there with him. :(

pearshapedcrafting said...

Now that looks like my kind of yogurt - if only I felt like eating! When I retired and was on my own during the day I always used to eat at the table! Now we are both at home we use the table for every meal -although we may sit in an easy chair for a piece of fruit! I love how you have used the bottle as a stamp -a great idea! I will e-mail you - probably while you are sleeping - not concentrating well at the moment! Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

Treating your snack like a meal....what a wonderful, positive idea.
Loved your design.

Cazzy said...

Hi Elizabeth and Bleu of course. That looks interesting lol, your snack looks amazingly posh!
I will have to look at the rest of what you have been doing here!

Carol x