Wednesday, April 23, 2014

So what now that Earth Day is over?

Earth Day is over.  The party hats and celebratory noise makers are put away, but hopefully our spirits are still high.  However, I would definitely be remiss if I didn't show all the wonderful things that I have received for my bEARTHday.   I have several posts' worth of photos to show, then I'll get back to more recycle or repurpose tips I can pass on.  So, please continue to recycle be eco-concious and responsible, while I show all the magical gifts I've received in the past few days.

Let's go back to April 11, when my friend Kathy came for a visit.  She had hoped to visit on my birthday, but her hubby was having major surgery the day before, so she feared she would not be able to come. 

It was at that time

she gave me my bEARTHday gifts.

One of the butterflies had fallen off when I unwrapped the gifts,

but it didn't take Kathy long to fix it.

It was truly a Steampunk birthday.

The three pieces became a vignette that was handmade by Kathy.



Have I mentioned that Kathy goes over the top when she creates mixed media?  It didn't take me long to find a spot for this vignette, either.  Unfortunately, I thought I had the photos, but I can't find where I stored them, since it was two days later I got the vignette together.   Not to worry.  I can always retake photos of where I placed these beauties.

Let's head back to the restaurant where my friend Sally and I went yesterday (Tuesday).  If I'm not careful, you're going to think you're in the TARDIS from all this time travel we're doing.

A cute card from Sally and a note pointed out my bEARTHday gift would be a bit late, which was fine with me.  And the pie reference is because I would take pie any day over cake, if I could.

Back home, the mail person was late getting to my house on Tuesday, but it was still Earth Day, and of course, I fell in love with this "tree free" card my friend Patty sent me.  She thought of me even while on vacation in CA.

Even the ink used to make this card is earth friendly.  Thank you beyond belief, Patty.

My dear friend Norma (who has no blog) has the most gorgeous handwriting of anyone I know.  And I had the good fortune of meeting her and her hubby one year while I was in CA.  I didn't open her card at the restaurant, because up until last year, Norma sprinkled those little birthday goodies loose inside the envelope, but she now places them in a small clear resealable bag.  One year they went flying all over the restaurant when I opened the card.   I see Norma isn't the only one who can't get my e-mail to work.

Back at the restaurant again, I opened my friend Halle's gift.  I was SO impressed, since she and I are usually running behind on our gifts.  But not this year.  She was actually early, and I held the box for several days.  And it would have to wait a few more hours, too, since it loooked like there were way too many things to remove at the restaurant.

I had to laugh that someone thought I was Sally.  Sally is quite tall (my head barely reaches the bottom of that glass cover on the food bar).  She is also larger and older than I.  But she is also prettier.  Yep, I'm known for my brains not beauty.  And I agree with Corinne who suggested in a comment on Tuesday that Sally looked like she was losing weight.  I even told Sally the same thing, although she didn't believe me.

Back home, the first thing I saw was the beautiful handmade card from one of Halle's photos, and a gift for Bleubeard from Gracie.  How sweet of her (and Halle, too).

After talking with Halle about the cork trees and how I messed up the one I made, she sent this set of wine and champagne corks.  At least now I know how to assemble the tree and these corks look much easier to use, too.  Thanks for that, Halle.

Next, I unwrapped a green saucer and wondered what was going on.  Then it hit me that Halle had made one of her famous candles.  That was SUPER sweet.  And did you see the wrapping?  Yes!  Old handkerchiefs.  I'm in LOVE!!

This time I remembered to photograph the wrapped package.

When I opened it, I was super impressed with the deep wrapped canvas she had turned into a work of art.

I had fallen in love with it on her blog and I knew exactly where I was putting it.

And finally, Halle included some bias tape she may have made herself and some liquorice.  Love the taste of it and I see it's made in Australia, so the container will find its way in my 7 continents AB, too.  Thanks again, Halle, for all the wonderful handmade and oh-so-thoughtful gifts.

And thanks to all my friends, including the gifts I opened yesterday from Krisha, for making this one truly spectacular bEARTHday.

Hope I didn't bore you.  If you made it this far, thanks for sticking through to the end.  You have no idea how long it took to put this one together.

9 thoughtful remarks:

voodoo vixen said...

What a fabulous birthday you had and such wonderful and thoughtful gifts, you are one lucky girl!!

Helen said...

some fabulous gifts, and you certainly had a great day.

Eliza said...

Wow Elizabeth what a fantastic birthday you are one really lucky young lady to receive such treasures from beautiful friends. Oh and Bluebeard got a pressie too. I think I love it all except the licorice I love the stuff but that one I cannot eat due to the colouring used, but it is really a truly superb tasting one, well it was before they changed the recipe. Your blog post was well put together and I read every word.

Hugs Eliza & Yoda

dawn said...

How fun it is to read about your birthday gifts and day!! I loved everything you received. Homemade gifts are the best and these are all truly special.

That painting of Halle's is my favorite too, how lucky for you to have that and enjoy!!

Read the post below too, lovely as this one is. So happy for you and the good friends you have to celebrate with.

Thanks for sharing and I always enjoy reading your posts!!

Have a wonderful day and can't wait to see what you share next.

Halle said...

Wow...you really did get a nice lot of greetings and gifts. Love the Steampunk themed gifts Kathy created.
I'm so glad you and Bleubeard are enjoying the things I sent. Yesterday I came across one more thing I forgot to include in the box. Bummer. At least I'm already preparing for next year. *grin*

Krisha said...

I was in love with the Steampunk pressy, then I saw the painting!!
The cards are fantastic too. Such a wonderful birthday for you, and you deserve it.

Jo Murray said...

I'm glad you had such a happy birthday....may you have many, many, more.

Vicki Miller said...

I enjoyed seeing all the lovely gifts you were given. Not boring at all. there are so many lovely ones, that it would be impossible to pick a favourite, but I do love the teacup candle! By the way my hubby often sneaks some darrell lea liquorice into the trolley when shopping. It's his favourite thing.

~*~Patty S said...

It is so nice of you to share some of the great gifts and birthday wishes you received (my little card included)dear E!
Hope you are still celebrating special you and enjoying the rest of your birthday month!!!
I am trying to get back in the swing of things after being away...
Happy Weekend to you and Bleubeard
oxo