Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Craft Barn has issued its yearly challenge and I'm catching up

Last year I watched as several of my British friends joined a dictionary challenge put out by the Craft Barn.  They have a lovely web site where you can buy all kinds of scrapbook, altered art, and mixed media supplies.  They also have challenges, which last an entire year.

This year, their challenge is Lyrics and Quotes.  I decided to join after seeing both BJ's and Dawn's blog entries.  Since I'm a big fan of lyrics, I hope I can find something each fortnight.  OK, for those of you like me who don't speak the Queen's English, that translates to every two weeks. And this fortnight I am playing catch up with the first two entries.

Things to remember are you must use one or both of the word prompts they give.  For lyrics, the artist and song title must be part of the spread.  Not sure I was at my best on the first one I made, because I show the title and the artists, but didn't give all the lyrics.  I hope that doesn't disqualify me.  Sometimes it takes me awhile to truly catch on to what I need to use in the layout.

For the first prompt, which was either Smile or Up, I chose Up, represented by Up, Up, and Away (in my Beautiful Balloon).  It was the one song I could think of when I saw the prompt.  I decided to use more of my file folders.  I hope to make a dent in them by the end of the year.  I plan to keep them in the same 3 ring folder as my Journal 52, so that's why I've used CB 1 to indicate Craft Barn 1 or first entry.

In addition to the file folder I colored with my homemade shimmer mist, I also used an image from a vintage book and a tag that held the relevant information about the artists and title.  I tied them together using a Micron ink pen.

How many times have I said I can't stamp?  Well, it's true when I tried to stamp lips and an eye on the lyrics for the song Silence is Golden.  I wish I had stamped before I added the images and lyrics to the file folder.  Additionally, I added the lady who looked like she was sad and silent, along with some gold ribbon.

The prompts for this week were Silence and Dazzle, and since I'd never heard of anything Dazzle, I went with the one I could find after doing an internet search.  I confess, I've never heard of the song before, because, according to several sites, it was the B side to Rag Doll.  That may be why I've not heard of it.  Or it may be because it was recorded in 1964, a tad before my time.

Please visit the Craft Barn if you want to play along.  Although I'm playing catch up, it's not too late to start.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Good to see you playing along with this challenge, Elizabeth and well done for catching up. These are great, too. Love that lady on your Silence entry

BJ said...

Super duper Elizabeth, guess what? Not only did we both use the same song for the first fortnight but we've thought of the same one for the second but I haven't done my page yet. Love your pages and that you've taken up the challenge.
Oh the real reason I came by was to tell you to look at the GOOGLE website TODAY you'll love it! BJ

Elaine said...

Beautiful pages depicting two great songs!

Lynn Holland said...

Well done with your challenges. Can you imagine us all now walking round singing "silence is golden golden". My hubby thinks I've gone mad

Maisie Moonshine said...

Lovely page - and I think "miss" stamped images can be just as attractive as pristine ones - they all add to the texture and interest. MMx

Scrapmate said...

Love your backgrounds and that lady is gorgeous. The way I read the rules the song artist and title only need to be mentioned on your blog for information. You don't need to put them on your artwork.

Karen said...

Oh! I am so pleased that you are joining in with this my lovely! I really like your entries. The vintage balloon was a lucky find and YES! you can stamp!!!!!! Hugs xxx

Darla said...

Another challenge? You are so good at these. I can never keep up. Like both pages you created using the prompts.

Darla

BJ said...

Oh sorry Elizabeth, I just use this web address for Google so now I am hoping it will work for you in the USA too.
https://www.google.co.uk
I tried it with .com too but it just reverts to .co.uk but it might be what you need over the pond.
Hope you get to see their home page today. BJ

Krisha said...

Great takes on both songs.

Rag Doll was by the Four Seasons and Silence is Golden was by Simon and Garfunkel. How do I know this?? Well just say I danced to both when they were high on the music charts.....LOL

And now I have Silence is Golden playing in the background. I was always a S&G fan.

I might have to check this challenge out.
Thanks for the share.

BJ said...

What a shame. On the google site home page as I see it there is usually a banner with the Google logo. Sometimes this banner is made to reflect any special occasions for that particular day. Apparently it is the Chinese new year and as it is the year of the house the banner includes a little girl rocking on a rocking horse. so wished you could see it.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Hurrah! I love your Up page, and really like how you attached both tags together to make a balloon & basket.
I really like 'Silence is Golden' (Rag doll too) and I like the distressed way you have done the papers.
Like BJ, I thought of you when I saw 'Googles' rocking horse. Have a fab weekend Elizabeth :o))

TwinkleToes2day said...

Hurrah! I love your Up page, and really like how you attached both tags together to make a balloon & basket.
I really like 'Silence is Golden' (Rag doll too) and I like the distressed way you have done the papers.
Like BJ, I thought of you when I saw 'Googles' rocking horse. Have a fab weekend Elizabeth :o))

Vicki Miller said...

I also saw the google rocking horse and thought of you!
I love the up up and away page, it really brings back memories for me!

Vicki Miller said...

Most of the time you don't really need commercial stencils for the gelli plate. I use cut paper stencils very often and they have the advantage of becoming gorgeous collage papers after you have finished and in addition you don't have to clean them. Cut snowflakes are a great place to start!

Vicki Miller said...

Most of the time you don't really need commercial stencils for the gelli plate. I use cut paper stencils very often and they have the advantage of becoming gorgeous collage papers after you have finished and in addition you don't have to clean them. Cut snowflakes are a great place to start!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I am so late in visiting, but I did stop at all of your posts! This sounds like a fun challenge! I'll date myself by telling you that I listened to Silence is Golden in my youth!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Both pages are wonderful. Love the silence is golden song ... it's in my ears now.

buterfliecrafter said...

Never too late to jump in, last year I joined the dictionary challenge in september, I'm still catching up with that. Like the warm colors on your silence page and the lady indeed looks silent.

Anonymous said...

Both your pages are wonderful. x

LindaS said...

Wonder ful pages. I really like your colors and STAMPING.